SETI@home News Vol. 107 (03/06 - 10/06, 2010)

Soldato
So I guess its this guy you refer to -

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=60412#1005701

If you ask me the guy has lost the plot slightly, he has spent an absurd amount of money over the years, $10's of thousands.
After 10 or so years of crunching his opinion is that Berkeley owe him something on a personal level and seems to think that by
threatening to stop crunching he will have the Berkeley staff running around in panic.
They most likely have never heard of the guy and when was anything ever promised to people who do seti..............never!
SETI has become his life to the point where he has nothing else so if the servers go down he just cant take it.
I think its a simple case of addiction to the point were it effects his daily life.
He even let his eyesight problems go unchecked due to spending everything on hardware and now suffers as a result!
If the guys health is at risk then that is sad but other than that I think he's a lunatic and should see someone.......urgently.

It has made me think a little about my own situation, where do you stop?

He's changed his mind again :rolleyes:

Quote:

Kittyman has reconsidered......again.

Still here crunching them up.

You know I could not stay away very long..........

I have 4 rigs not crunching to try to save power bills to attempt to pay for my upcoming eye surgery.

Man of Honour
I'm paying £130 pcm for server hosting and about £40 pcm for electricity. That's where I stop (and if I ever get time I'd like to reduce the server bill). No new hardware unless it has value other than SETI. I'd heartily recommend this approach with hardware to anyone unless you have cash to burn.

To be fair to him, quite a few are throwing toys out of prams over there. Shame on them. There's far more to get wound up about on this planet than a week of SETI downtime.

I've often taken the view that they should stopper up the pipes when things get bad like this. Take the complaints on the chin and fix the problems without the pressure. Lots there and some here may not like that, but bouncing from one problem to the next doesn't help anyone.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tthere is going to be one almighty huge dump of credit once the validators are back online - 212,492 pending :eek:

nice amount to have in the bank :p

and its the 1st weekend that my fermi rig hasn't crashed on me...

Edit - looks like uploads are borked as the server has run out of disk space!!!

Looks like I have found my next possible purchase

http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/graphics/graphics/new-fermi-with-512-shaders-possible

To be honest, Im quite impressed with fermi from a crunching point of view, I have 3 tasks crunching on my gpu and it is overclocked from 607Mhz to 725Mhz core which isn't bad for an ocuk value card and temps are a steady 58C - cant complain really and there is still ore to come once they get optimised apps out for them...

Last edited:
Soldato
Thats good news on a possible new fermi card Edge. My output will drop from today till the weekend but its chugging along nicely, sold the last of spare gpu's to get some money back in doubt if i would be able to consider a/the new card till after christmas now. Thats not bad the 3 tasks in 28 mins will give ita a go at the weekend, lets hope we all get our pending validated by then.
Have a good week all and happy crunching :D

Soldato
Pending 225K

Perhaps for the best - I'm not sure I could take another Toxic parp! :p

I shall be as quiet as possible and try to sneak past you in the dead of night ;):)

He's changed his mind again :rolleyes:

Quote:

Kittyman has reconsidered......again.

Still here crunching them up.

You know I could not stay away very long..........

I have 4 rigs not crunching to try to save power bills to attempt to pay for my upcoming eye surgery.

Well i suppose thats good for the science but it certainly calls into question what drives some people, blimey i would never neglect myself for the sake of seti - ok i dont mind doing egg and chips for a month if it means a new gpu but sacrificing your own personal health thats really worrying!

yeah like my car being poo

Good grief, whats wrong with it now Marine i thought you were just about done, hope its not too serious :(

Associate
Yeah the upload server is full and the validation servers have crashed :(.
8 core machine is out of work. Just waiting for the servers to come back up so I can report and discontinue service (only had this machine for a limited time)

Man of Honour
They were brought back online briefly as my pending dropped.

However, it turns out they caught a validator attempting to grant infinite credit after the server 'upgrades'. Not sure if that happened before or after the weekend but you can understand them hitting the big red panic button at that.

Of course, if one of us got that magic WU then that might have been different. :p

Man of Honour
Just switched wee-beastie over to Seti :)

Running 8 enhanced CPU apps and 12 Fermi apps concurrent. :eek:

This is my app_info.xml, does it look ok?

Code:
<app_info> 
    <app>
        <name>setiathome_enhanced</name>
    </app>
    <file_info>
        <name>AK_v8b_win_x64_SSE41.exe</name>
        <executable/>
    </file_info>
    <app_version>
        <app_name>setiathome_enhanced</app_name>
        <version_num>603</version_num>