Setting up Pi-hole

Commissario
If anyone's interested, it works perfectly well on the new Raspbian Stretch. I had to manually install the php-zip extension to allow me to import my backup file but after that, it's all fine and lovely.

Soldato
I setup my pi3b yesterday with pi hole. Already have the unified controller in it as well. Working well.
Only issue is that I have virgin super hub and have to out it to modem mode to have the DNS to work on all devices, but super hub gets disconnected every 33 minutes :(
Issue with the puma chipset, nothing to do with pi hole. Still work it though. Have setup DNS manually on all the PCs.

Soldato
I setup my pi3b yesterday with pi hole. Already have the unified controller in it as well. Working well.
Only issue is that I have virgin super hub and have to out it to modem mode to have the DNS to work on all devices, but super hub gets disconnected every 33 minutes :(
Issue with the puma chipset, nothing to do with pi hole. Still work it though. Have setup DNS manually on all the PCs.
Main reason I got a new router, I had pi-hole all set up and ready to go only to find out that the SH3 don't allow DNS modifications.
This is the first thing that has interested me enough to set up on my ever aging Pi B+!
Depending on how this goes, I may buy a couple of Zero Ws

Soldato
Yep I use it with a SH3 but you have to turn off DHCP and let Pi Hole handle that too if you want to run in router mode. Like you say, there's no separate DNS control in the SH.

maj

maj

Soldato
Has anyone got this working with a BT router? I thought I had pi-hole working correctly by just manually changing devices on my network to point to the IP address of pi-hole as it's default gateway. Is this wrong? As it seems to not be blocking adverts anymore.

Soldato
You told the clients to use the Pi-Hole as the gateway? They should use the HH as the gateway but the Pi-Hole as the DNS server. Personally though I'd disable the DHCP server on the HH then and use the one within Pi-Hole. No need to statically assign DNS servers then.

If you check the query log does it show any DNS queries hitting the Pi-Hole?

maj

maj

Soldato
You told the clients to use the Pi-Hole as the gateway? They should use the HH as the gateway but the Pi-Hole as the DNS server. Personally though I'd disable the DHCP server on the HH then and use the one within Pi-Hole. No need to statically assign DNS servers then.

If you check the query log does it show any DNS queries hitting the Pi-Hole?

Ah meant it was the DNS server, not gateway. That'll teach me not to post when I'm half asleep. If I login and view the dashboard it says it has been blocking stuff quite successfully but I had to disable my ad blocker in chrome yesterday to view a website and forgot to turn it back on and was getting adverts on YouTube even when pi-hole was supposed to be working.

I'll see if I can disable DHCP on the home hub and do it all within pi-hole but networking ain't my strong point.

Soldato
DHCP hands out DNS settings alongside IP which is why you need to disable DHCP on the SH3 and let pi-hole do it instead.
The router I bought turned up damaged so I've had to get a refund on that side.
Going to try this method tonight and see how it goes.
It's just a matter of turning og DHCP on the SH3 and turning it on the piHole interface?

Soldato
So I managed to set this all up but the issue with a few devices not being able to use the "normal" WiFi still persists.
I've had to set up a guest network for these devices to connect to.
This issue seemed to come up when I first started setting the pi-hole.

Soldato
What are the symptoms?
Connects to the WiFi no problem but then comes up with "no Internet connection" error message is dns_probe_finished_no_internet
All mobile devices have this issue and 1 laptop.

Also noticed my ping and download speed has been affected drastically in the PC in my room connected via powerline.

maj

maj

Soldato
Think I went a bit crazy and added too many lists for pi-hole to block so I've deleted them all. Is there a default list that should be there? Or is it clever enough to know what domains to block by itself?

Back
Top Bottom