Setting up Pi-hole

Commissario
Aye but that’s on a totally different Pi that I set up years ago. It was quite tricky to get working and I’m not going to touch it! It has OpenVPN and a very old version of Pi-hole installed on it but it works.
I have a backup of the SD card so if it ever fails, I’ll just write a new card.

There is a thread in here somewhere which goes into the details of how it was set up. If you search for VPN and my name, you’ll find it.

Commissario
Does anyone else use pihole gravity sync to keep multiple holes in sync?
Nope, I might take a longer look at it though. I use a script that keeps 04-pihole-static-dhcp.conf and hosts synced between the two and they both update gravity overnight with the same lists so those are always identical. I forget the last time I manually added something to the whitelist or blacklist.

I recently got a couple more pi2's to setup as a cluster. I currently have two runnin pihole to be DNS and backup DNS. I dont have them as the DHCP though.
The main reason I run them as DHCP servers is so that I can see the individual clients on my network listed by name. I did try conditional forwarding as a solution for this but it didn't work.

Soldato
The main reason I run them as DHCP servers is so that I can see the individual clients on my network listed by name. I did try conditional forwarding as a solution for this but it didn't work.
I have all the host names in the hosts file on th pi, that stops any issues.

Commissario
I have all the host names in the hosts file on th pi, that stops any issues.
So do I, the problem was that when I had the router running dhcp, the Piholes only reported one client - The router. This is something thing that conditional forwarding is supposed to get around but it didn't work for me.

Commissario
No, I’ve not been able to block them for a long time. I recently bit the bullet and subscribed to YouTube Premium although I did it via a VPN to India where it only costs £1.36/month.

Soldato
I don’t think you can now, they got smart and served the ads from the same place the video is. I believe you block the add it breaks the page.

That's unfortunate :(

Main reason for the pihole as well! Lol

Iv not consciously noticed ad blocking on other pages, it must be doing something though as fb is hit and miss if it loads, which is no great loss of course.

Soldato
I've got a Raspberry Pi4 running Wireguard. I want to install Pi-Hole to this same RaspPi but for use for all clients on my network, not just those connecting via Wireguard. Is it OK to just install Pi-Hole and set it up as normal before point the DHCP server to the RaspPi's IP address? All the info I can find on the Net assume that you're using PiHole exclusively for Wireguard. TIA.

Soldato
I've got a Raspberry Pi4 running Wireguard. I want to install Pi-Hole to this same RaspPi but for use for all clients on my network, not just those connecting via Wireguard. Is it OK to just install Pi-Hole and set it up as normal before point the DHCP server to the RaspPi's IP address? All the info I can find on the Net assume that you're using PiHole exclusively for Wireguard. TIA.

I run my WireGuard server and ad blocking server (AdGuard Home, I don't use PiHole any more) on separate machines. However, I can't see a reason why they wouldn't coexist. WireGuard is just another Linux network interface, it's literally designed that way. Unlike, say, OpenVPN with a TUN/TAP adapter, wg 'interfaces' baked in to the kernel networking stack and act just like any other network card in your machine. There's nothing special 'on top'.

You can add, modify and remove them just like any other (eg ip link del wg0). That means you can also route and configure them just like any ordinary interface, too.

Once you have PiHole set up and WireGuard installed and configured, about the only special step I can think you may need is to allow the WG static network to query the PiHole instance. For example if your own physical LAN is 192.168.0.0/24 and WireGuard is issuing IPs in the 10.50.0.0/24 range then you may have to configure PiHole to accept/listen on both those networks. That should be a simple step in the PiHole GUI.

That said, once the traffic/clients have arrived on your network via the Pi they should ordinarily be treated like any other LAN traffic. For example if I SSH into my home via WG, with a static IP on the wg0 interface of 10.0.0.2 I can still ping, connect to and otherwise interact with stuff on my LAN (10.100.0.0/24).

I've had WG and AGH running on my x86 router together in the past and didn't have issues, and I can't envisage you would either (aside from the considerations listed).

Soldato
Thanks very much for all that info. I went ahead and installed PiHole and that’s working just fine with no issues. WireGuard is refusing to complete handshakes to clients but I’ve not had a chance to fiddle about and look into this further. I think it may be just a matter of creating a new connection for each client though why it’s stopped working I’m not sure.

Soldato
Has anyone had any joy with the delight that is Channel 4/4OD? It seems it doesn't like me blocking 2a7e9.v.fwmrm.net which is a custom blacklist entry I came across on reddit. Their ads are so controlling that if you click on another tab for instance the ad stops till you open the tab again. Some of the ones during the catch up can be a few minutes long each. I'm using the default block lists plus a few custom blacklist entries.
This is a rather old post but I thought I'd post my findings on this. I'd previously used the following Pihole commands to get rid of All4 adverts:

Code:
pihole -b -nr --comment "All4 adverts" ads-pres.channel4.com
pihole -b -nr --comment "All4 adverts" cdn.http.anno.channel4.com
pihole -b -nr --comment "All4 adverts" cdn.ss.anno.channel4.com
pihole -b -nr --comment "All4 adverts" toots-a.akamaihd.net
pihole -b -nr --comment "All4 adverts" trk-euwest.tidaltv.com
pihole -b -nr --comment "All4 adverts" 2356e.v.fwmrm.net
pihole -b -nr --comment "All4 adverts" 2a7e9.v.fwmrm.net
pihole -b -nr --comment "All4 adverts - possibly not needed" p.videologygroup.com
pihole -b -nr --comment "All4 adverts - possibly not needed" securecdn.videologygroup.com

However, I then noticed that this list stops UKTV Play from working. Moving 2a7e9.v.fwmrm.net from the blacklist to the whitelist fixed UKTV Play whilst still blocking adverts on All4 and ITV Hub. Two caveats:
  1. When I play a video on UKTV Play, it fails, but then hitting "Retry" makes the video play as expected.
  2. The entirety of this post relates to Smart TV apps. Blocking adverts on the web versions of these services is not possible, AFAIK.

Associate
Does anyone know if these are anything to worry about? .. there is about 4 pages in total.

I'm assuming the one.one.one.one is something to do with cloudflare?

Back
Top Bottom