Setting up Pi-hole

Associate
Yes, I know. We have the top level family Apple One pack so everything is included but she may or may not have switched it off, I don’t know. The point is that swapping down has fixed the issue so it’s a win win.
If HTTPS was enabled it wouldn't even look at you router/pihole dns. So my guess is HTTPS is not enabled for it to have made any change.

Soldato
Going to try Pro++ and fall back to light if issues.

I was using the firebog lists before, were working OK but seen more ads on TV streaming services recently.

Soldato
Pro++ has at least eliminated many of the ads on streaming services slipping through with my previous lists. One false positive I had to whitelist but otherwise business as usual. I noticed about 7% jump (in 12hr sample, not representative) in blocked requests though, I think mostly due to google tag manager being blocked as far as I can see.

Soldato
If you find any false positives, let me know. If there is anything else I can do, just let me know.
Hello!

I whitelisted cta-redirect.hubspot.com as for some reason it prevented the documentation on docs.portainer.io from linking out properly. Probably more an issue with how they designed their page to work, as I'm not sure it should really be needed for their documentation to be available. Maybe not exactly a false positive but I had to whitelist it all the same.

I expect this level of changes to be needed on a per-user basis for the Pro lists.

Last edited:
Commissario
If you find any false positives, let me know. If there is anything else I can do, just let me know.
Hi and welcome.

Running the Light list (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hagezi/dns-blocklists/main/adblock/light.txt) and noticed a huge variation in the number of domains showing blocked. I don't look every day, or even every week but it's currently showing around 85k on my Pihole when I'm sure a few weeks ago that was up at the 120,000 to 140,000 number.

Why such a variation?

Or am I imagining it? (this is quite possible).

Associate
Screenshot-2023-06-27-at-21-24-22.png

Thats about right if you look at the graph above if you was using pro+OISD I'm doing about 70/80,000 a day now @30% with the light.

Soldato
Hi and welcome.

Running the Light list (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hagezi/dns-blocklists/main/adblock/light.txt) and noticed a huge variation in the number of domains showing blocked. I don't look every day, or even every week but it's currently showing around 85k on my Pihole when I'm sure a few weeks ago that was up at the 120,000 to 140,000 number.

Why such a variation?

Or am I imagining it? (this is quite possible).

Not to speak for Gerd, but until he gets here... The lists are constantly being tweaked and optimised. He recently removed 1Hosts from the sources list, without losing efficacy. He's just done another re-adjustment (hence the lower domain count), but again kept the blocking ability. Having read through the lists themselves for some months now, there were some opportunities around de-duplication, amalgamation etc. Especially in the adblock format lists. It seems he's been busy. :) If you check your logs, you'll see there's nothing missing that used to be there. My own stats haven't changed, for sure. As an aside, he is always active on Github and you can get almost immediate responses for black/white listing and questions etc. One of the most approachable and responsive devs I've ever dealt with, tbh. He really cares about his lists (and it shows).

TL,DR: Optimisation.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Friend of mine has started to create a pi-hole manager to help manage multiple devices.

No idea what it’s like as not tested it yet, but thought as there’s people here running multiple pi-holes it could be useful :)

Pi-hole manager

Feedback welcome that can be passed on!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom