Shadow Of The Tomb Raider

Gee

Gee

Soldato
I'm at around 97% complete, just got a few more collectables to get in The Hidden City. Think I'm missing a tomb or two as well.

Soldato
So are we saying that dx11 is better for performance than dx12 ? I'm getting some stuttering / hitching. I'm getting between 60-70 FPS but it doesn't seem smooth.
For me & some others it is @ 4K but I have a 24 core CPU which maybe part of the issue (DX12 does not work so well on this game with a high CPU core count) also the hitching is very similar to the Denuvo DRM hitching on Assassins Creed Origins so...…!!

Soldato
Why? Tomb Raider isn't meant for online survival? You're making absolutely no sense and WAB is an absolutely tosh channel with a man who rants when he dislikes portions of a game ruining the entire review. Don't watch that idiot.

What you're complaining about is daft, you might as well ask for Crash Bandicoot to become a MMO after it's recent rework for modern times. Utterly stupid mate.

Who said anything about Online Survival ? I merely suggested they take the franchise, keep the core gameplay but add to it. What's wrong with wanting an open world exploration type setting, you know something to spice it up?

WAB might have not be your cup of tea sunshine but many find him entertaining with the majority of his reviews being spot on. (not all I'll grant you that so put down the pitchfork!)

Ahwell , sorry to have upset you.

**Crash Bandicoot MMo ? you might be onto something there !!**

Soldato
I'm running everything at ultra on a 1080 ti, 8700k @4.5ghz and 16GB ram, all on air and it's not even flinched in terms of performance. Solid 60fps vsync. 1440p.

Soldato
Can anyone suggest the best settings for a 1070 at 1440p?

I'm told it runs pretty well but I don't suppose I'll be maxing most settings so I'm asking beforehand.

Soldato
I'm running everything at ultra on a 1080 ti, 8700k @4.5ghz and 16GB ram, all on air and it's not even flinched in terms of performance. Solid 60fps vsync. 1440p.

I decided to go with 1440p at ultra using smaa and taa, running 60fps. Better than 4k at 30fps and because of taa you can't really notice the difference.

Might be a different with aa off, but then it will be hard to not notice the lack of aa. msaa of course is a complete no go.

Soldato
Just finished the first playthru only got 67% finished so still plenty of game for me to go back to & explore. Its not a bad game at all but also has several things I did not like:

The Jonah character was a completely unnecessary addition. He was not playable added nothing whatsoever & felt forced into the story. Hope they remove him from the next game he is pointless.
Combat is really poorly implemented.
Way too many no player interaction story cutscenes.

Solid game trying way too hard to be Uncharted on PC but its well worth buying just not quite as good as Rise Of the Tomb Raider gameplay or game scope wise (bigger than Rise but somehow feels like less to do & more exploring than before).
Graphically its the best looking PC game right now though.

Gameplay 5\10
Graphics 10\10
4K Optimisation 0\10 (Denuvo DRM bug if you have too many CPU cores)

Soldato
The combat feels rather bad, don't remember it being this clunky in Rise. Looks a bit like an indie game, especially the animations. Still somewhat enjoying the game so far, it's at least slightly reminiscent of the older titles with exploration on hard.

Replaying Uncharted 4 on crushing alongside this doesn't help, though. Shows just how polished that game was (and still is ) graphically, in terms of animations and location variety and even writing even though it all operated on a basic premise.

Soldato
Finished it off, story and cinematics were excellent. Graphics obviously breathtaking at points and brilliant throughout.

Controls weren't as slick as Rise and I can see why they reduced the ability to use dodge and counter so much. Made it a bit more difficult.

One problem throughout was the fact they tried too hard to make scenes dark, and made it at times borderline unplayable. When you are looking at pretty much a pitch black screen, it's gone from being a theme in the game to just being silly. Especially if you can't play with HDR. It's also absurd that Lara doesn't use her torch at these points in the game.

Not as good as the first two games, but there are very few games I've finished a few days of coming out and this was one of them.

I think I've replayed the old games at least once each, and no doubt I'll do the same with this at some point in the future perhaps using the New Game+ feature to try and get 90% or more.

Last edited:
Associate
Can anyone suggest the best settings for a 1070 at 1440p?

I'm told it runs pretty well but I don't suppose I'll be maxing most settings so I'm asking beforehand.

i just dropped it down to the setting down from Ultra and turned off motion blur (as i hate it)

never drops below 60fps but id say on average runs about 70

Soldato
i just dropped it down to the setting down from Ultra and turned off motion blur (as i hate it)

never drops below 60fps but id say on average runs about 70

Hmm, mine sits between 50-60 with shadows down to high and BTAO instead of HBAO+. Not that it bothers me but I'll try to tinker a bit more, not noticing much difference in performance between shadow settings.

Back
Top Bottom