Shadow Of The Tomb Raider

Soldato
While i'll often agree with Mac's WAB videos, he does say at the very start he found the last two TR games to be lacklusture...so it's a pattern. If you liked the last two, I imagine you'll enjoy this one. I'll be getting it at some point for sure.

Man of Honour
While i'll often agree with Mac's WAB videos, he does say at the very start he found the last two TR games to be lacklusture...so it's a pattern. If you liked the last two, I imagine you'll enjoy this one. I'll be getting it at some point for sure.

Yeah, its certainly not a genre he likes, when someone says that they didnt like Witcher 3, Assassins Creed Origins or Rise of the Tomb Raider, then its clear to see theres a pattern in their tastes, especially as the general consensus amongst gamers is that all 3 of those games are pretty decent. Its a bit like when someone says that Monty Python, The Young Ones, Bottom and Deadpool isnt funny. Just shows a pattern of tastes rather than an actual fact that those things arent funny.

Soldato
Yeh cos there isn't enough open world, survival, mission based games around.

You can say the same about racing, fps, rpg, puzzle, mmo's etc etc If a game is good then it doesn't matter if there's a plethora of them.

Tomb Raider's core gameplay I acknowledge is puzzle based but with such a famous IP it would be nice if they could implement it into a new direction.

Soldato
gameplay is fine for me.. new stealth stuff is pretty cool and smoke bombs are a life saver especially on hardest difficulty... I loved all tomb raider games and tbh this is one of the best ones.. 60% in now and just gets better and better.

V F

V F

Soldato
gameplay is fine for me.. new stealth stuff is pretty cool and smoke bombs are a life saver especially on hardest difficulty... I loved all tomb raider games and tbh this is one of the best ones.. 60% in now and just gets better and better.

The bushes against the walls was a nice touch.

Soldato
You can say the same about racing, fps, rpg, puzzle, mmo's etc etc If a game is good then it doesn't matter if there's a plethora of them.

Tomb Raider's core gameplay I acknowledge is puzzle based but with such a famous IP it would be nice if they could implement it into a new direction.

Why? Tomb Raider isn't meant for online survival? You're making absolutely no sense and WAB is an absolutely tosh channel with a man who rants when he dislikes portions of a game ruining the entire review. Don't watch that idiot.

What you're complaining about is daft, you might as well ask for Crash Bandicoot to become a MMO after it's recent rework for modern times. Utterly stupid mate.

Man of Honour
Completed it today, didn't rush through and did all the missions, tombs and crypts. Just need to get the collectibles now, but will probably do that on a second play through.

Absolutely epic game. All 3 of the series are absolutely brilliant games, but for me this was the best of the lot. Hope they make another but it doesn't seem like they will.

9.5/10 for me

Man of Honour
Well, just finished the main story campaign, now to go and 100% it.

I think, I would score this as a 75%, campaign was a little short for my liking (13 hours), felt shorter than Rise but cant remember how many hours Rise took me. Also I mark it down a bit not because of a fault of the game but because of a fault in me, I simply am not as familiar with Incan/Mayan lore and history so I didnt click with that aspect of it in the same way that I would with say Egypt/Greece/Rome/Japan/Medieval Europe etc, my lack of knowledge on that did cause a little disconnection with the subject matter but as I say a fault of mine rather than the game. Graphics were absolutely stunning in places and I think that maybe we are seeing the bar lifted a little higher in terms of graphics with this title, not a huge leap perhaps but I think a definate step up in terms of foliage and the amount of detail onscreen at one time. Gameplay was much the same as Rise, same sort of mix of types of play. Could be because I havent 100% it yet but there seemed to be a lot less outfits for Lara compared to Rise. Overall, if I had to rate the trilogy in order of my own ratings, it would be Rise - Shadow - TR2013. (1st-3rd)

Soldato
Completed it today, didn't rush through and did all the missions, tombs and crypts. Just need to get the collectibles now, but will probably do that on a second play through.

Absolutely epic game. All 3 of the series are absolutely brilliant games, but for me this was the best of the lot. Hope they make another but it doesn't seem like they will.

9.5/10 for me

On what did it lose the 0.5?

Soldato
OP

9.5/10 for me

omg have you not been to bed or something since release:eek:

Of course there will be a new tomb raider :)

Man of Honour
On what did it lose the 0.5?

I don't believe any game is perfect. But the one criticism I have is the skill tree is a bit of a mess compared to previous games, I know they've tried to do something different but it's just not an improvement imo. But it's a very minor issue

omg have you not been to bed or something since release:eek:

Of course there will be a new tomb raider :)

I've been playing since Wednesday due to the pre-order :p My total play time was 17 hours

Associate
Caved and bought it yesterday, played a couple of hours up to the 2nd jaguar bit (wtf, get mauled and you are fine afterwards haha). Game is beautiful, no doubt about it. Was getting a lot of stuttering when playing on ultra but I seem to have fixed it by disabling bloom and turning down HBAO+, at least I think that's what it was called. Enabling the TR2 character model was a nice touch :D. Did anyone else find the default mouse sens crazy high for both camera and aiming? One slight touch and I nearly did a 180, took some tinkering, still not sure I have it right.

Also where do you check if you've actually completed an entire area? As I've genuinely no idea, I tend to just bomb about and do whatever I stumble upon.

Soldato
Caved and bought it yesterday, played a couple of hours up to the 2nd jaguar bit (wtf, get mauled and you are fine afterwards haha). Game is beautiful, no doubt about it. Was getting a lot of stuttering when playing on ultra but I seem to have fixed it by disabling bloom and turning down HBAO+, at least I think that's what it was called. Enabling the TR2 character model was a nice touch :D. Did anyone else find the default mouse sens crazy high for both camera and aiming? One slight touch and I nearly did a 180, took some tinkering, still not sure I have it right.

Also where do you check if you've actually completed an entire area? As I've genuinely no idea, I tend to just bomb about and do whatever I stumble upon.
DX11 fixes the stuttering and you can still have Ultra settings. Check the Map to see what you have cleared. Also 2nd Jaguar bit is nowhere near the really good graphics & tombs-caverns so you have a LOT of good stuff to look forward to!

Associate
I had to turn the settings down from Ultra to highest(i think is the next one)

I like a bit of headroom so its running about 70fps dropping occasionally to 60.

on ultra it was around 40 on my 1070 @ 1440p on DX12.

Enjoying it so far though

Associate
DX11 fixes the stuttering and you can still have Ultra settings. Check the Map to see what you have cleared. Also 2nd Jaguar bit is nowhere near the really good graphics & tombs-caverns so you have a LOT of good stuff to look forward to!
Glad to hear it! I still have everything else on ultra, well textures, detail are anyway. Shadows may have been high. Game looks totally different when you turn shadows to low as everything brightens up but looks weird :)

Soldato
I like WAB's channel, but he can sometimes go overboard and go on a bit of a rant.

I enjoyed the last 2 TR's and I'm certain I'll enjoy this one if it's more of the same kind of thing. I'll pick it up at some point.

Soldato
Glad to hear it! I still have everything else on ultra, well textures, detail are anyway. Shadows may have been high. Game looks totally different when you turn shadows to low as everything brightens up but looks weird :)
DX11 allows you to see some of the missing screen fx like drops of water, dirt & blood which are otherwise missing on DX12 for me anyway @ 4K. I still think Nvidia have gimped the drivers to favour RTX series GPUs (which are now delayed another week).

Soldato
So are we saying that dx11 is better for performance than dx12 ? I'm getting some stuttering / hitching. I'm getting between 60-70 FPS but it doesn't seem smooth.

Back
Top Bottom