Should a 97 year old man be driving on a public road?

Capodecina
Soldato
Some 97 year old man was driving a Range Rover and pulling out of a driveway onto the A149 when an accident involving another vehicle occurred. The Range Rover ended up on its side and the driver was reported as being conscious but "very, very shocked" and shaken but not seriously injured.

It is not clear at what speed the other vehicle was travelling or whether either driver was breathalysed or what the result was but I really don't think that any 97 year old man should be let loose on the public road.

What do the denizens of OcUK's General Discussion think?

ps - The occupants of the other vehicle, an unidentified saloon car, are reported as having been treated for minor injuries but are apparently not seriously injured either.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
. . .
I'm more amazed he was driving himself, thought he'd of had a chauffeur.
It is a depressing sign of the times when the country can no longer afford to provide a chauffeur for a retired Diplomat.

God knows, this wouldn't happen even in Greece!

ps - I gather that the people in the other FOREIGN manufactured car were two WOMEN - Shocking, just shocking!

What would that nice Mr. Wineshop have to say about this outrageous assault on an entirely innocent elderly gentleman by a couple of Harpies?

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
OP
. . . How many people are driving around chemically lobotomised on prescription meds like amitriptyline? . . .
Are you suggesting that this elderly gent may have a mental illness?

I am quite sure that the Boys in Blue will pursue the chemical lobotomy line of enquiry and will add it to the inevitable "Driving without due care and attention" charge.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
A council report recommends lowering the maximum speed limit (from 50 to 60) and installing average speed cameras along the road between the Knights Hill roundabout and Snettisham - an idea originally proposed in 2015. (LINK)
The timely release of this titbit smacks of deflection.

I suspect that there will now be a campaign blaming the council for this whole thing - while the 97 year old gent will escape at a single stagger.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Coffin-dodger is a sobriquet regularly applied to any person of advanced age on this forum - what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander - perhaps you should reconsider your Monarchy obsession?

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Fact is he's advanced in age and clearly in ability . . .
I suspect that you didn't mean that the nonagenarian was "advanced in ability"?

The likelihood is that age may have impaired his judgement (which seemed always to be questionable), his eyesight and his reaction times.

By all accounts, he turned off a minor road onto a major road, I am not sure which part of the Highway Code advocates this practice.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
. . . it may well be just “luck” more than anything else . . .
I am surprised that Kensington and Chelsea Council haven't used the "bad luck" excuse.

I suspect that "Driving without due care and attention" is classed as an offence whether it results in an accident or not - some people may of course be able to escape the consequences - even after a major crash as a result of which nobody was killed - purely by very good luck.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
. . .
I have never been in a motorised incident where I would have needed the seatbelt that I'm wearing
. . .
On the other side of the coin I'm a commuting cyclist who has always worn a helmet and on at least 5 occasions it has saved me from a serious head injury or even death
. . .
So you think (based on your experience) that wearing a helmet is a good idea but wearing a seatbelt is pointless?

ps - are you also aged 97?

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
One assumes that the 97 year old man was wearing a seat-belt when he pulled out in front of an oncoming car and turned over his Land Rover - or he would have been more seriously injured. Presumably his declining mental faculties and belief in faeries told him that "lightning never strikes twice" so a seat-belt was no longer called for.

Whatever, he should not be allowed on any public road again.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
. . .
I've always taken my time and drove (sic) like an old man so I haven't needed to brake hard at a roundabout.
I've made many mistakes and will still continue to do so but none have involved me stamping on the brake hard.
. . .
I wonder how many accidents old men have caused by coasting up to roundabouts and generally crawling along with a tailback behind them?

Back
Top Bottom