Should a 97 year old man be driving on a public road?

Soldato
Short answer to the OP is... probably not.

However there are some 25 or 35 year olds who probably shouldn't be driving. How many people are driving around chemically lobotomised on prescription meds like amitriptyline? The only way to properly "police" (in the wider sense) is a fitness and competency test for all drivers every 5 years (including drug screening). However that would bring cries of outrage from pretty much all corners of society, but in particular those in rural areas who have little choice but to drive even if it's just to buy a loaf of bread or get their amitriptyline...

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
. . . How many people are driving around chemically lobotomised on prescription meds like amitriptyline? . . .
Are you suggesting that this elderly gent may have a mental illness?

I am quite sure that the Boys in Blue will pursue the chemical lobotomy line of enquiry and will add it to the inevitable "Driving without due care and attention" charge.

Soldato
I'm guessing the reason for a free bus pass, is a hint to ditch driving :D Seriously though, I don't think it's a terrible idea to have regular assessments, for drivers over 70 - the trouble is, older people vary so much - my in-laws are both in their mid to late 70s and are both fit as fiddles and perfectly lucid and completely capable of leading independent lives. I would have no fear of jumping into a car with either of them. Whereas my Nan is in the same age range, and she has trouble even walking, let alone controlling a vehicle.

Up until a few years ago, my Uncle was driving with very advanced Parkinson's - around the home he really struggled to get about with his walker, and even getting into his car took a lot of time, effort and support - but once he got going; it was as though his mind suddenly lit up, and his illness was no longer holding him back. I guess it has something to do with the fact that so much was going on, his mind simply ramped up a gear or two - though his body probably could react to an emergency well enough :(

Back OT though - if the 97 year old in question, is as spritely as my in-laws, then I'm sure he's fine to drive; but I can't help but feel that he wasn't, and shouldn't be on the road. TBH the road is a **** place to be these days anyway, with the racetrack mindset of some drivers, coupled with the impatience of pretty much everyone else - slower drivers (which I tend to see most OAPs being) simply cause hazards, and don't get treated well.

Soldato
Age has everything to do with it, young men will still be the most dangerous creatures on the road, they will kill and be killed and write off more cars than any other age group.

because they lack ability, the issue is that for the majority of people their ability increases over time, but for some, regardless of their age their ability remains poor meaning they are a hazard on the road.

You should judge people on ability, not their age. The fact that he's over 90 doesn't automatically mean his ability to drive is diminished, he could be a far better driver than 30 or 40-year-olds.

Any tests that come in should be ability-based and be the same for everyone regardless of age or gender, it shouldn't be a case that you hit X age and have to start doing extra road tests to keep your licence.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
A council report recommends lowering the maximum speed limit (from 50 to 60) and installing average speed cameras along the road between the Knights Hill roundabout and Snettisham - an idea originally proposed in 2015. (LINK)
The timely release of this titbit smacks of deflection.

I suspect that there will now be a campaign blaming the council for this whole thing - while the 97 year old gent will escape at a single stagger.

Caporegime
Why bring in testing at the upper age limit when the worst drivers are at the lower age limit? Or do you want to blanket ban at an age limit? That would be illegal under discrimination laws.

Because there are bad drivers at those ages for different reasons. In the young case you've got some young drivers (frequently young males) who choose to drive dangerously and in the old case you've got people who are just going to be dangerous regardless of intent. Testing and then removing people from the road people who you know are dangerous seems sensible.

Man of Honour
He'd of been fine and the accident wouldn't of happened if he'd been in a proper Land Rover and not one of these new fangled plasticky ones. (Accident wouldn't of happened 'cos he's still of been 10 minutes from the junction when the other car was there :) )

I'm more amazed he was driving himself, thought he'd of had a chauffeur.

Just when I was thinking, some of these posts make a great deal of sense, some are downright humorous, should I mention that according to a newsflash, the Duke WAS breathalysed, along comes someone for whom the verb “to have” has miraculously been changed to “to of”, enough already, that’s my cue to exit, stage left.
Jean-F, 79, still reluctantly driving, but only if there’s no alternative.

Soldato
Of course, this is why when you are driving (Or riding) with the Sun behind you. You have to work on the assumption that the people in front of you cant see you and drive accordingly!

You should also be wary of putting your lights on under these circumstances since if the sun is behind you, switching the lights on, and especially on a motorcycle, will actually make you invisible

(See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yehudi_lights )

Soldato
He'd of been fine and the accident wouldn't of happened if he'd been in a proper Land Rover and not one of these new fangled plasticky ones. (Accident wouldn't of happened 'cos he's still of been 10 minutes from the junction when the other car was there :) )

I'm more amazed he was driving himself, thought he'd of had a chauffeur.

i don't normally do the whole grammar nazi thing but jesus that's painful to read.

Caporegime
The use of "of" instead of "ve" or "have" really bugs me, it indicates that the person is completely mishearing what others say on a day to day basis.

I mean they've head people say, for example, "would've" and they actually think that that person is saying "would have" rather than a shortened version of "would have".

Then I guess they must think that "of" is the appropriate word to use in that way - so you get things like the above "he'd of" instead of "he'd have".

I don't claim to be perfect, I'm sure I make grammatical errors quite frequently but that sort of thing is really jarring to read.

Caporegime
I do wonder if the Police will be as keen to check if his eyesight still meets DVLA's licencing requirements as they would be if this had happened to a 97-year-old Pleb?

Found this on a different forum earlier... :D

AGEING, UNEMPLOYED IMMIGRANT CAUSES HIGHWAY CARNAGE.

Emergency services were scrambled to a road traffic accident near Sandringham today when a 97 year old Greek immigrant pulled out into oncoming traffic.

The Greek father of four who has been living on state benefits since his arrival in the UK in 1947 and is housed in a Grade2 Jacobean style mansion in the area worth millions of pounds was unavailable for comment.

Neighbours said "You often see the family in the area, none of them seem to work but they always have money".

Another local resident reported often hearing firearms being discharged in the garden of the 97 year olds home.
:D

Caporegime
Surely it depends on their competency not age?

I would prefer people require a retest every X time once they reach a certain age. To be honest it could be argued that retesting every so often for anyone is a good idea.

Everyone should be re-tested every 5 years. The number of morons out there I see pulling stunts every day. But the basic of things like not using indicators and just deciding to go around a roundabout and turn right with no indication or pull out in front of a car doing 50 on the motorway from a standstill, etc.

Back
Top Bottom