Should women's sports have separate websites on BBC Sport, Sky News, etc.?

Man of Honour
As it states in the article, kick off times are a major factor in that valuation. I doubt broadcasters around europe see 1am - 12pm kick offs as a big money maker. The game is clearly growing but I doubt there'll be many in europe willing to go out of their way to watch those games unless they go deep in the competition.

It's clearly posturing on Infantino's part to raise the price, I doubt he cares about the womens game, other than increasing FIFA's revenue.

Also the timing of the no one cares/watches comments is hilarious given the club attendance record in England was broken last night.

Last edited:
Soldato
If the broadcasters call FIFA's bluff that will harm women's football way more. Infantino needs to be realistic about the commercial proposition.
I'd agree, it will surely have some commercial impact with advertisers and sponsors who signed up expecting it to be shown on TVs throughout Europe. If he thinks the best way to grow the women's game is to be petulant then he's in charge and who are we to argue. After all this is the same man who oversaw Visit Saudi as tournament sponsor.

I don't really get the general anger towards women's sports though, it's really nothing to get upset over. Just don't watch it if you think you won't enjoy it. Doubt I'll watch any of it and it's on my doorstep. FYI I think it will be well attended.

Soldato
A specific website should be made for football. Then you might actually be able to find decent articles on sport in the sport section..

Caporegime
OP
Women's football...more important than politicians breaking the law, mental health units shutting, and war.

IMj2XP6.png

In spite of the fact that we may not even be allowed to watch it if there's a media blackout :D. Some editor at the BBC is gunning hard for that sweet DEI award.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
^ that's just click bait journalism. She's injured and not available for selection. A very strange headline :confused:
Injured a while ago though. it’s news because she was top scorer and had an outside chance of being included, with a hope of recovering in time for the competition.

It’s pretty common to include your best players while injured if they have a shot at coming in before the competition ends.

Caporegime
Just a touch misleading
yea how many tickets did they give away, and how cheap were the ones that sold.
At NUFC wimmins whenever they use the actual mens football ground the tickets are £3 in advance, or £6 on the day.

Practically giving them away to get bodies, I bet most people won't go back again either, you might as well go and watch a small local team

Last edited:
Soldato

Thought this was relevant. Wrexham faced (e: a US Women's side) in a 40 minute match. Won 12-0.

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea if women's teams could enter certain mens competitions, perhaps taking u21sides out of the EFL Cup. It should help raise the game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom