Show Off Your Dish (Picture Thread) (Rules added)

Today I (and Meggy) have been mostly making, and eating.

Tag Bog

TagBog.jpg

Profiteroles

Prof.jpg

And some healthy fruit for afters

Strawbs.jpg

Yum :)

I realised I have never posted any of my culinary creations and concoctions...

Last night I made a filo topped fish pie:

Poach some haddock and salmon in some milk, with half a chopped onion, pepercorns, bayleaf and season according to taste.

Remove once the fish is starting to flake, but still a little firm and put in an oven proof dish.

Reserve the milk/sauce from the pan.

Melt some butter, and add some flour, and some single cream to make a thick bechamel type of sauce. Slowly and bit by bit add the reserved poaching milk until you get the consistency that you're after. Add some grated gruyere (or emmental if you can't find gruyere), a spoon of dijon mustard and chopped up a bunch of watercress. Once the sauce is at a suitable consistency you can then pour over the fish in the dish.

Then, grab some filo (I didn't make it - too much hard work :o) paint with melted butter, and crumple and place ontop of the fish, repeat until it's completely covered. Then bake in the oven until golden brown!

Et voila!:

Then for pud I made some pasteis de nata - custard tarts.

Start by making puff pastry - or buy it. I bought it, but it's bloody hard work and a PITA. Worth it for taste, but if you get a good quality butter puff from a reputable store I'm sure they'll turn out just as good.

Roll the puff pastry out thinly, then cut in half, then place the 2 halves ontop of one another and roll uptightly like a Swiss roll. Then cut into discs, and then roll them out to flatten them and put into a buttered tartlette dish. When rolling and preparing the pastry use a mixture of icing sugar and flour to stop things sticking.

For the custard, put some corn flour and milk in a pan with some caster sugar, add a vanilla pod and a stick of cinnamon, and stir until it thickens. Have 6 egg yolks in a bowl ready, and pour half the mixture into the eggs whisking slowly but making sure it's all mixed in well.

Add the egg/milk mixture back into the pan, whisking constantly and slowly (on a relatively low heat, you don't want it to split or start scrambling the eggs) until it thickens. Then when ready, remove cinnamon stick and vanilla pod.

Dust with cinnamon and icing sugar et voila:

and

They went down well - put a little too much sugar into the custard, but once cooked it didn't taste too bad, actually, without wanting to sound big headed, I thought they were bloody delicious! A lot of work though, but the reward is worth it.

Looks really yum Freefaller! I haven't attempted to make any sort of pie yet, so I guess that's something I might try soon!

Anyone else find the combination of nydryl's dish a little strange? :p

mmmm:

2011-08-11193404.jpg

2011-08-11193458.jpg

2011-08-11193806.jpg

Venison steaks from a local award winning butcher, with a cumberland sauce that i made from a locally sourced jelly with some red wine and juices from the meat, with jackets drizzled in olive oil, garlic, rosemary and black pepper and seasonal veg.

So nice and dead easy to make :D

Last edited:
100% Authentic Punjabi Curry, Chicken Saag, made by one of the best chef's i have ever met, he is in the top 3 for sure and i have met 100's if not thousands, Chapati's from Asda

Today I (and Meggy) have been mostly making, and eating.

Tag Bog
This looks rather lovely.

Spicy Seafood Spaghetti.
As does this.

100% Authentic Punjabi Curry, Chicken Saag, made by one of the best chef's i have ever met, he is in the top 3 for sure and i have met 100's if not thousands, Chapati's from Asda
Where as this looks like the stuff I pull out from the bottom of my lawnmower. Shame really, as it probably tastes rather special.

Out of interest, how on Earth have you met thousands of chefs? Do you eat out every night or something?

cooking105.jpg

Some of the fish is missing, I'd already started when I remembered to take a pic :o

Pan-fried chilli rainbow trout (line caught today) with a creamy orange and butter reduction and crushed potatoes with rosemary and chopped fresh parsley, dressed with a sprig of parsley and long sliced spring onions. All three plates - including the 7 year old fussy eater - licked clean :)

Had a Riesling to accompany it, and a raspberry sorbet meringue for dessert :)

I need to work on my presentation though :o

Out of interest, how on Earth have you met thousands of chefs? Do you eat out every night or something?

my family is in the restaurant and take away business and so are a lot of my distant family and friends.

so i personally know and meet a lot of chef's and restaurant owners on a regular basis.

it's difficult to explain to an "outsider" but the sikh community is extremely close.

Not chicken on the bone? :(

i love the curry sauce from chicken on the bone, but i prefer my chicken to be boneless.

it is the best tasting sauce you can get though imo, so once it's made i usually have a lot of the sauce and then take the chicken out and try and de-bone it so to speak, put it back in and then eat it.

i have had chefs make it boneless but it doesn't taste anywhere near the same, it has to be chicken on the bone then after its made de-bone it.

if you like chicken on the bone you should try unday de poorjee (scrambled eggs) and keema peas (mince and peas), they are also 2 of my favourite traditional curries. but tell the chef the day before that you want it made proper desi style, so he can have everything prepared the traditional way, otherwise if you turn up and ask for it they wont do it properly, they will just make it "british" version so to speak and use pre-made stuff

Back
Top Bottom