Show Off Your Dish (Picture Thread) (Rules added)

Associate
Quite a few here...

Got this slab back on my birthday. ASDA Extra Special, but surprisingly good quality. I've never been disappointed with them:

Had a typical steak dinner (medium-rare of course); sauteed mushroom, fried egg, confit tomato and a 'little' matire'd butter. Obligatory side of chips with mayonnaise and glass of vin rouge included:

The fixings of my own recipe; mushroom risotto with goats cheese and chive. Homemade mushroom stock is not pictured as it's simmering away on the stove at that point:

The completed dish:

A quick little steak pie (didn't make the pastry), with The World's Best Mash © and Broccoli:

And last but not least, Banoffee Pancakes:

Permabanned
Starter .....

spf9rd.jpg

Main .....

1gokep.jpg

Dessert .....

fk0ehv.jpg

2egfcev.jpg

Knocked that lot up for valentines day.

Soldato
Poor picture i know so sorry. must in

Tried my hand at my first desert today and thought i would try some fancy presentation, needs lots of practice but it was fun to try.
IMG_20130228_194729_zpsae79dbff.jpg

Choux bun with fresh whipped cream, strawberry slices and a strawberry coulis

My GF didn't want hers, she's one of these weird people who isn't fond of deserts, was a little disappointing if im honest but i thought it was lovely, i might be a little bias though:D

Soldato
Venison steak
Caramelised red onion with balsamic
Steamed carrots with honey
Tesco Finest potatoes with a fancy name
Spinach and garlic

3BF3C039-9D89-4252-AA6A-50EBCF005868-4282-0000029C2C72A68E_zpseabd1335.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
How do you make burgers patties thinner without them breaking up, currently use 1 egg in 500g of mince, is that not enough?

You don't need to use any egg. Try a mixture of the following:

* Much more pressure to make the patty (a burger press is good for this)
* After making the burgers stick them in the fridge/freezer for a decent amount of time before cooking.
* Only add salt around the outside of the patty after it is formed (rather than whilst mixing the meat/spices).

Caporegime
You don't need to use any egg. Try a mixture of the following:

* Much more pressure to make the patty (a burger press is good for this)
* After making the burgers stick them in the fridge/freezer for a decent amount of time before cooking.
* Only add salt around the outside of the patty after it is formed (rather than whilst mixing the meat/spices).

Sounds like I need to invest in a press.

Associate
Sounds like I need to invest in a press.

The above points from FrenchTart will all improve your burger, but a home cook doesn't really need a press imo. Make sure you work the mince thoroughly, for example this will hold together much better than this. Also has the benefit of mixing the salt and pepper through thoroughly.

What I do is get a pan searingly hot, oil either side of the burger, and literally colour either side, flipping gently. Then bash the pan in a preheated oven and don't touch it until cooked. This way you're minimising the amount of movement, and therefore the chance it'll fall apart.

Also, if storing pre-made burgers, make sure you slip a piece of greaseproof between each one, again minimising the amount of faffing and risk of damaging it.

Associate
Agree with the above.

When making meatballs I knead the meat and ingredients together to stop them breaking up. This does the trick with burgers too and an egg yolk wont hurt. Just one in 500g of meat though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom