Show us your kitty cats

Soldato
Good news.. He turned up at the back door this morning! :D

The missus went down to let the other cats out at about 6.30 and he was there waiting to be let in. He looks a bit thinner and scruffy but no injuries. He must have been starving as he wolfed down a whole carton of food and drank a load of water.

BNrWqI7l.jpg

I'd love to know where he's been but I'm made up to have him back! :D

Great news, I hope it won't mean that you are now reluctant to let it out on it's own?

Soldato
Jaws (the deaf kitten) actually resting for once.

WuX3hjVl.jpg.png

he's ace. Settled in really well seems to be getting on with the other cat just fine we hear them playing together which is nice.
Still a bit under weight but makes up for it all in character.

Soldato
there is but most people arnt willing to take out a mobile phone sim subscription for thier cat.

Ah good point, didn't think of that!

Great news, I hope it won't mean that you are now reluctant to let it out on it's own?

I'm going to keep him in for a week or so as he's lost a bit of weight and seems to have lost his voice but once he's back to normal he can go out if he wants. He's always been more of an indoor cat anyway but he's always had the option to go out when he wants and he's never usually out for more than a couple hours.

He wouldn't leave me alone last night. Where ever I was, he was behind me. When I was on the sofa, he was sat on me, and when I went to bed he assumed his position next to me. I don't think he stopped purring all night, I woke up a couple times and he was still going!

Man of Honour
My cat Bert on her electric blanket

IMG_5045.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

Soldato
My poor little black and white, George has just been to the vet to have 5 bad teeth removed :( he's recovering well though.

At £200 my wallet will probably take longer to recover :(

Sad about the teeth removal for your cat, but loved the wallet joke.

My beast has a scratch in the corner of her eye which I am checking on daily. Does not seem to bother her and she is keeping it clean. Last thing I want is a vet bill at this time of the year. But if necessary it will be a no brainer.

Soldato
Ivan

Took mine in a week ago for scabs on tail - ended up having four teeth out - she didn't do well after she got home so it was back to Vet - £400 and counting.

Hope yours heals up quick

She is now fine and running round - scabs healed up due to anti biotics and she seems to be eating for all cats in road.

Dave

Caporegime
Well, it turns out that cat ownership is not fun. Or maybe my cat is just abnormal.

She won't eat, meows all the time, won't play, won't cuddle. She's been to the vets twice who say there's nothing physically wrong with her. Charged me £100 to tell me that tho.

She's been here for over a month but is scared of everything, including myself. She is the only animal here and everybody treats her with affection. But her eyes are always dilated, she's nervous, and bolts away if someone so much as looks at her. Then meows *loudly* for attention.

The stress of owning her is making me regret the decision to have a cat at all. I've tried multiple different brands of pet food including the Tesco value stuff the breeder fed her, and she won't eat any of it.

I'm not going to take her back to the vets as they seem useless. At this point she either starts eating or she starves. It's her choice.

I've bought her a crapload of toys of various types, a water fountain (she won't drink at all), two cat trees, loads of stuff. She just wants to hide and starve herself, while being very vocal about it. But I told the vets all this and they say "come back in a week" each time. Of course they do, it's $$$$ if I come back each week and they tell me nothing is wrong.

Man I'm so stressed right now. Considering force-feeding her.

Soldato
How old is this cat?
Have you got a recent picture, showing her from above, ie. an aerial view?
Is this a pedigree cat?
She isnt under-weight, otherwise the vet would've spotted this.
Is she eating anything or just very little?

A water fountain certainly wont help - I do laugh when people buy these things. If a cat is thirsty it will drink out of a wash basin, a shower cubicle, the kitchen sink, puddle (out doors), half drunk glasses, etc. I honestly cant believe why anybody would buy a water fountain. Most of the moisture/water a cat needs, it gets from its wet food. If you only feed dry, then it will seek out water from all of the aforementioned sources. If you live in Saudi Arabia, then you may need to provide ample water sources, but in England, its too cold!

A vet wont do anything as they can only deal with physical problems, not mental. They've already told you that she is fine, so no point in taking her back. They have asked you to take her back, in case in 1 week, she develops a physical problem which will be easier to observe. If in 1 week there is no obvious problem they'll tell you that there is nothing wrong with her. Again.

If you lived close to me, I'd have taken her in for 1 week and got her straightened out for you. She may need an alpha cat who is well balanced and well behaved to give her confidence to do what she needs to. I have 1 of these and he adores all cats. She'd be cuddling up to him within 48 hours if you brought her around. ;)

Anyway, answer my questions above and I shall give you some things to try out. I'm confident you can get her mentally straightened out within a couple of weeks. My guess is that you are treating her with kid gloves, but I shall await your answers first.

Caporegime
How old is this cat?
Have you got a recent picture, showing her from above, ie. an aerial view?
Is this a pedigree cat?
She isnt under-weight, otherwise the vet would've spotted this.
Is she eating anything or just very little?

Anyway, answer my questions above and I shall give you some things to try out. I'm confident you can get her mentally straightened out within a couple of weeks. My guess is that you are treating her with kid gloves, but I shall await your answers first.

Hi sunama, and cheers for help. Really pulling hair out atm, and yes, kid gloves for sure.

Pic to follow, then :)
She's about 9 months.
Pedigree Snowshoe, spayed approx 5-6 weeks ago.
Between 1st and 2nd vet visit they confirmed she'd lost weight (I can only assume she is continuing to lose weight, as she's not eating, but she doesn't look visibly thinner).
She eats very little. She seems to struggle to recognise what I give her as food. I've been heating it up for 10s in the microwave to make it smellier and warm.
When she eats it is a couple mouthfuls at most, then she spends 30 mins washing herself, like she's just eaten a 4 course meal :p

Otoh, she will eat any amount of those freeze dried chicken treats (Cosma Snackies/Thrive), but they aren't complete food and they're too expensive to use as food anyhow. But she'll go nuts if I shake the tube.

The wet food I've tried includes:
Tesco in jelly
Felix as good as it looks
Animonda Carny

Other food:
Pilchards in sauce
Tuna in water
Sardines in water
Boiled chicken breast

She'll again only eat a mouthful (one sardine or pilchard) before deciding she's had enough. Oddly she rejected the boiled chicken but would eat freeze dried chicken?

The breeder btw used dry food that was available all the time and she would graze on it. But even tho I've done the same thing, she barely touches that either.

The proof is in the poo. Or rather the lack of it. She went 3+ days without pooing at all, and now poos almost every day, but in very, very small amounts. So she's not eating much dry kibble either.

Soldato
How long ago was she spayed and did the problem happen after or before she got spayed?

Food/Eating
If vet confirmed that she lost weight, then obviously there is an issue here.
Some cats have a slow metabolism which means they dont need to eat too much, but yours does need to eat more.
This is why the Vet asked to give it more time. If she continues to lose more weight, then they might try something. This will of course be costly.

So you need to get her eating - this is your first objective.
You will need to try out different foods because she is clearly a fussy eater and you simply cannot force-feed her - this doesnt work.

Have you tried out Whiskas wet food?
Go down to your supermarket and buy 1 pack of each food that you havent tried out yet.
See if she likes any of these.

Also, pop over to zooplus and get a variety of small packs of dry food.
My cats like Applaws (dry cat food) a lot and they dislike virtually all other brands of dry cat food.
You could get a 400g pack of that. Get chicken flavour and the kitten flavour. Applaws has the highest concentration of protein of any dry cat food on the market, and cats can get fat eating this (mine did a few years back, so I temporarily stopped - now I "dose" the food carefully in a food ball). Your cat will need concentrated calories if she has a small stomach.

Faeces
Bear in mind that when you find a food that she is prepared to eat, she may do watery poos, as you are changing the diet. But this is ok. Our main objective is to get her eating. In time the watery poos will stop. If not, the vet can give you something to firm up the poos.

Meowing, Screaming, Shouting
Do you have toys and does she chase the toys until she is panting?
Do you get rough with her and simulate a cat play fight - does she fight with your hand?
Is she "ok" with you handling her, any time that you see fit?
Does she know you are the boss?
Are you in full control of her?
Is she scared of you?
Are you scared of her?
Does she ever come and sit in your lap of her own accord?
Does she ever come to you and rub her body against your leg, of her own accord?

Are you both comfortable enough for you to gently bite or kiss her cheek, while holding her, with her being completely relaxed with this behaviour? If this last point is true, it means that you are completely free with eachother and there is 100% trust, in both directions.

Some people say that if a cat rolls on its back that it trusts you - I disagree with this. For example, my sister's cat occasionally rolls on its back for me, but as I approach I always sense that he is weary of me and shows this by getting on his feet.

Most owners dont understand this but you must get the message through to the cat that you "the boss" and that while you are in the room (at least), you are in full control of the environment and she has nothing to fear. That you can handle her any time you want to, but when you do, he/she is safe. Your own gut instinct will tell you when your cat trusts you 100%.

Do you have any other people living with you?
Is she scared of other people?
When was the last time she physically touched another cat?
Is she an indoor cat?
Where does the cat sleep - does she have own bed?
Does she sleep in the same room as you?

I'm asking all these questions, as I am trying to zero in for the reason she is screaming/shouting for no apparent reason. My gut tells me that she wants attention. If she doesnt have a playmate, then its possible she wants to play.

Back
Top Bottom