Show us your kitty cats

Associate
HI, I'm afraid that I only have a small PUSSY! ;)

Ffrho7.jpg

Mat

Mat

Soldato
How do I get Luna to take her worming tablet?

So far I have tried coating it in butter; a trick that used to work with my old cat, and mixing it in with her treats so that it's covered in the dust/smell of the treats. She's too canny and can tell it's not 'real' food and she won't listen when I tell her it's good for her.

She's on dried food so I can't just give her a plate of wet food with it crushed up and mixed in.

Soldato
How do I get Luna to take her worming tablet?

So far I have tried coating it in butter; a trick that used to work with my old cat, and mixing it in with her treats so that it's covered in the dust/smell of the treats. She's too canny and can tell it's not 'real' food and she won't listen when I tell her it's good for her.

She's on dried food so I can't just give her a plate of wet food with it crushed up and mixed in.

I hate it when cats don't listen to you.

I used to crush mine up and sprinkle it onto some chopped liver. The cat would devour it in seconds (after detaching its four sets of claws from my upper leg from when it smelled said liver).

Worked every time.

Man of Honour
my 11yo lad cat Jester collapsed yesterday :/
he was asleep on the chair in the lounge and as i made some noise in the kitchen he came in to scrounge some food, i put some in his bowl and left him eating, i left the kitchen for ~20 seconds and when i came back in he was slumped over the food bowls,
he was conscious but limp, i layed him on the floor and stroked him for 4-5 minutes, he remained limp all that time, i gave him some encouragement to get up and he did, then he went straight back to the food bowl and finished his dinner :rolleyes:
he's been fine since but il keep a close eye on him

Last edited:

Mat

Mat

Soldato
I also crush mine into fine powder then mix it into their food. Works every time.

Dry food?
I also read that some medication shouldn't be crushed as they're designed for slow release as the tablet is digested. Crushing it up can release too much too quickly... I'll have to check the packaging for anything about that.

Soldato
Dry food?
I also read that some medication shouldn't be crushed as they're designed for slow release as the tablet is digested. Crushing it up can release too much too quickly... I'll have to check the packaging for anything about that.

Wet food here. Yeah good point on checking that fact actually!

Associate
Hi,

Have you guys not tried using the drop-wormer you can get these days? It's just the same as if you would use that spot-on for fea treatment ;) and that fact that you don't get your fingers bitten or scratched to hell when you are giving them it. :)

Associate
Hi,

Have you guys not tried using the drop-wormer you can get these days? It's just the same as if you would use that spot-on for fea treatment ;) and that fact that you don't get your fingers bitten or scratched to hell when you are giving them it. :)

You have never met my Snoopy...cant give her a pill or spot treatment without pinning her down and hoping she doesnt scratch me too badly :eek:

Soldato
We use these sometimes;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_615mkibins_b

you can give them an empty one which they eat, then the next one rammed with a pill and they aren't expecting it ;)

One of ours will eat cystaid tablets with her food so sometimes we empty one out and push the worming tablet in that. Neither will eat it sprinkled but I found some long chewy treats from Sainos as well that are big enough hollow out and push it in.

Last edited:

Mat

Mat

Soldato
I don't really want to turn it into a wrestling match as I don't want her to associate any implement/device/item/pre-match build up as a prelude to an uncomfortable event as she'll get wise to it and I'm not about to start chasing her around the house. Getting her with the flea treatment is a deadly game of smoke and mirrors in itself, and that's external application!

I'd definitely prefer the 'with food' method I think, subterfuge and concealment is by far the better option.

Associate
And this is how not to do it...this is a much calmer version of what I go through with Snoopy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NETYszJH9Go

Edit: I have to basically, pin her to the floor, grab the scruff of her neck, hold her there with my knees, and then pry her mouth open, get the pill in, close her mouth, keep it closed, hold her head up and stroke down her neck to get her to swallow :eek:

Cant mush anything into her food, she will ignore it, Ive put tablets into Dreamies, she runs away from them or she will eat all of them except the one in the pill. The only thing I have found which works, is getting her when she is asleep or sleepy. She just seems to open her mouth and take the pill - no problem.

Rinse and repeat for spot on treatments. It would be easier to inject her, I swear!

Daft thing is, Peanut used to just take pills, but he has gone the same why

Last edited:
Underboss
** Any image wider than 1280 pixels should be linked or placed in spoiler tags **

http://i.imgur.com/CntSVfn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MZNAepo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cSMeHwI.jpg

Got a lot of love for this little dude, he enjoys sleeping on my exhaust fans when I am gaming, as much as I need to get rid of the heat he is too adorable to move.

My staffys nose has been pushed well and truly out of joint. The kitten has already established that he is the boss.

Back
Top Bottom