Show us your kitty cats

Soldato
A few of Lola again....the way she looks at me, she knows she's a little princess. She lvoes to steal human blankets and sleep by or on my feet.
Anyone seen any pet insurance offers/vouchers/cashback or have referrals atm? Need to renew by next week.
Edit - very random - if I tell the insurance company I donated £25 for her, then the insurance is £11/m. If I put down £50, then it's £9/m. Why does purchase/donation price have an effect on insurance costs???

Who did you go with in the end ?

We get our rescue cat this Friday and after a lot of research just went for one that kept coming up as a good deal Healthy Pets with £15 cashback via Quidco. £8 a month I think it was for Lifetime cover (£55 donation). First time Cat owner so bit apprehensive but done our
research and reading so hopefully be okay. Picture to follow this Friday.

Associate
Sorry to hear about your Burmese, pastymuncher

Perhaps a stupid question but can a cat be choked in a harness? I want to get mine used to wearing one so I can mount a gps tracker on his back as he is too small to wear it comfortably on a collar, but I won't use it if if it's at all possible to get strangled in one hanging from a tree or something. The harness I have is a basic H-shaped one. They don't have breakaway releases like most good collars do (for obvious reasons).

I had a cat some years back who was struggling to remove a collar and managed to get it stuck round her neck and arm (one arm through). She also went missing at that time for some MONTHS. When she returned she had a massive infected area, requiring surgery. During that she experienced many veins collapsing due to lack of blood, so much so the vet had to shave ALL arms to try to get a drip in before shaving chest and putting drip in "very" directly... Cat survived luckily but came home looking like a poodle and requiring convalescene away from other cats. Went to to live to 18+ but....

Well, I would recommend avoiding a harness, its just an annoyance to cat and a risk to add....

Associate
I'd never put a collar on a cat, seen far too many horror stories like the above. Cats should be microchipped instead: all rescues do it and any respectable breeder should do it too before selling a cat.

We have one with collar and tag (and chip) cos he wanders
We have one with no collar - she never leaves our garden :D

Man of Honour
Sorry to hear about your Burmese, pastymuncher

Jade was a rescue moggie not that it made her any less precious to me.

With reference to collars, we live in a rural area and are on the upper outskirts of our village. Our house backs onto fields so the cats are safe enough and have plenty of places to play/hunt. When we first got Jade and started letting her out we used to put a collar on her, one of the quick release types. She turned out to be a bit of a Houdini with collars and went through 7 collars in three weeks. Whether she was getting caught up somewhere and activating the quick release, or if someone was removing them or she just didn't like them and somehow removed them we never found out but we stopped putting collars on her from then. When we first got Abby and let her out when she was old enough she also had a collar on but only for a few weeks so people didn't think she was a stray. Once people got used to seeing her around we removed the collar. She did get a collar a few years later because she kept disappearing for long periods of time and I suspected that someone was taking her in. I bought a Gpaws tracker and needed some way to attach it to her so a collar was the easiest way. The first couple of times she came back it had been turned off by someone. Eventually I got some good data and tracked her back to a cottage at the bottom of the field behind us. A elderly couple had been taking her in which was sort of what I thought had been happening as everytime she disappeared I used to go around the field calling her and once I had gone past this cottage she used to appear. I confronted them, they admitted it and that was that, no more missing kitty. The data the gps collar picked up was amazing and I was surprised at just how far she travels. A few fields up there is a copse in the middle of the field and must be a mile, mile and a half away. She must have found a bunny nest or something there because the data showed her tearing out from the copse and back in at great speed several times so she was chasing something. She didn't really have a boundary in her travels either and mostly went in a straight line out and back. It was very interesting and a worthwhile project but once I found out why she went missing and put a stop to it we stopped making her wear the collar. All of our cats have been microchipped but that won't stop someone from taking them in.

Incidently, the G-paws company seems to have gone bust and their website has vanished but you can still read the data by uploading it to Google Earth. It's a bit more involved but easy enough to do.

Last edited:
Soldato
Who did you go with in the end ?

We get our rescue cat this Friday and after a lot of research just went for one that kept coming up as a good deal Healthy Pets with £15 cashback via Quidco. £8 a month I think it was for Lifetime cover (£55 donation). First time Cat owner so bit apprehensive but done our
research and reading so hopefully be okay. Picture to follow this Friday.

Tesco, as they are offering 2500 clubcard points and include dental cover in certain cases. I am with tesco already but i bought a new policy insteaf of renewing as the renewal was £177/yr compared to £130ish/yr new. I paid £145 last year and 3000 clubcard points on offer. However it was a mission to claim them as they said they had no record of the offer! Hopentheybdont mess up again!

Associate
Thanks for the advice on the collar/harness. Doesn't seem worth the risk/hassle to the cat. Hopefully they can develop less clunky gps trackers soon. I went with the Tractive one as it was the lightest one advertised, but it still seems too big unless you have a very large cat. Back it goes for refund.

Associate
If you really wanna stalk your poor pussy, get a spy cam set on a photo every 30s or something like that and look at SD card at end of day? Should make some great pics to share here too :)

Man of Honour
Poor little Abby is missing Jade terribly. For the first couple of days she went around the house looking for Jade and crying for her and she has turned extremely clingy and doesn't like being left alone for even short periods. She went in the garden on Friday and came in but couldn't find me and started crying out before figuring out I was in the bathroom. I really didn't think it would hit her like this but then again Jade was always a part of her life and now she's gone. She was rolling around in Jades bed the other day before finally falling asleep. All I can do is keep giving her more attention and cuddles which she always loves.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Poor little Abby is missing Jade terribly. For the first couple of days she went around the house looking for Jade and crying for her and she has turned extremely clingy and doesn't like being left alone for even short periods. She went in the garden on Friday and came in but couldn't find me and started crying out before figuring out I was in the bathroom. I really didn't think it would hit her like this but then again Jade was always a part of her life and now she's gone. She was rolling around in Jades bed the other day before finally falling asleep. All I can do is keep giving her more attention and cuddles which she always loves.

She will be mourning the loss of Jade too. After we had to have Ozzie put to sleep last year, Meg went the same way, she would cry, especially at night as if she was calling out for him. She also wanted to be in the room wherever you were. She was never quite the same after.

We also had the biopsy results on the lumps in Megs jaw/neck and it's not good news, it's an aggressive form of cancer so "that" decision is coming up very soon I suspect. Although at the moment, she is actually eating more than normal, and coming up to us at meal times, she's still purring when we give her a fuss, so we are just taking it one day at a time, and when she starts to eat less and doesn't want a fuss then we'll know she's ready :(

Associate

This was why we got a kitten when we lost one.. Survivor was crying every night... and she mothered the new kitten

She will be mourning the loss of Jade too. After we had to have Ozzie put to sleep last year, Meg went the same way, she would cry, especially at night as if she was calling out for him. She also wanted to be in the room wherever you were. She was never quite the same after.

We also had the biopsy results on the lumps in Megs jaw/neck and it's not good news, it's an aggressive form of cancer so "that" decision is coming up very soon I suspect. Although at the moment, she is actually eating more than normal, and coming up to us at meal times, she's still purring when we give her a fuss, so we are just taking it one day at a time, and when she starts to eat less and doesn't want a fuss then we'll know she's ready :(

Sorry to hear the bad news. Sounds like you have the right plan (IMHO). Unlucky. Rough :(

Man of Honour

Oh no that's terrible news. Having just gone though this with Jade my heart really goes out to you. All you can do is spoil her rotten and enjoy the time you have left with her.

Soldato
This is Buttons, he likes to visit and have a mooch about and possibly a nap.
Do I stroke his belly or not, nope this is a ploy, an invitation to some serious scratching?
lllTjUd.jpg

Soldato
We have a part Bengal kitten. It's cute but I don't really like it so I won't post a pic until it's sorted itself out a bit, i.e stopped using the litter tray and going outside more.

It's 100% a killer though. It isn't scared of anything and attacks anything and everything.

Soldato
This is Buttons, he likes to visit and have a mooch about and possibly a nap.
Do I stroke his belly or not, nope this is a ploy, an invitation to some serious scratching?
Mine used to do that...oh your belly is showing and your acting playful you want a belly rub/scritch? *reaches* CLAWS COME AND BITE KICK, DID I GIVE YOUR PERMISSION HOOMAN SCUM? :mad: followed by a lick attack and holding very strong onto my arm and not letting go till the skin has been licked off.

Soldato
Mine used to do that...oh your belly is showing and your acting playful you want a belly rub/scritch? *reaches* CLAWS COME AND BITE KICK, DID I GIVE YOUR PERMISSION HOOMAN SCUM? :mad: followed by a lick attack and holding very strong onto my arm and not letting go till the skin has been licked off.
So true, but in fairness to the above Buttons when I first met him you could not touch him or even walk too close, he is so much better now and will seek out a stroke and even a very brief belly rub but you have to be ready for the imminent change from lovable rogue to devil from hell. :D

Associate
We have a part Bengal kitten. It's cute but I don't really like it so I won't post a pic until it's sorted itself out a bit, i.e stopped using the litter tray and going outside more.

It's 100% a killer though. It isn't scared of anything and attacks anything and everything.

One of mine is a (full) Bengal - they are lovely cats but a bit bonkers. Look fwd to pics regardless of his litter habits :)

Man of Honour

That's just like Wispa the deviant from next door. He comes up to you and rubs against your leg while purring so you go and stroke him which he loves. He loves it so much he rolls over and you go to stroke his belly and he's got you in a mix of claws and teeth and won't let go. He only caught me out once like that but that was enough. Vicious git!!

Back
Top Bottom