Show Us Your Motors!

Caporegime
Huh? I'm Sure Rybo said he's getting 17MPG average, I've never seen 17 from any tank I've ever had in the 3 years I've owned my ST. And yes, there have been more than 1 full tank used just to blast up to Alston and back.

Sub 20 from the 3.5? Really? The Mondeo engine really is just silly thirsty. Just been and checked and I am showing a average of 17.4mpg over the last 50miles and that is just round town driving.

Emphasis on town. That could mean sitting still going nowhere for short periods of time.

Soldato
Say we don't get much traffic here but lets say my journeys have been that short, that my engine hasn't really chance to warm up for a while.

Like i have said, when i was doing silly miles i could achieve 24-26MPG driving like a complete granny. Usually around 20-22 though when driving normal ( my kind of normal i guess) and this was along open 40-50mph country roads.

Associate
Actually it's the perfect time to buy a convertible! Values fall big time this time of year. :)

The problem with the folding hardtop is that it doesn't really get too affected by the seasonal swing ;). Basically a full coupe with the roof up haha!

The engine alone is worth it.

Soldato
What sort of economy can be had from a ~3L BMW engine from the 90s?

I went from a 2.5 V6 Mk3 Mondeo to an e39 530i Automatic and noticed no perceivable difference in fuel economy... which when you factor in that the BMW has the auto box working against it is rather telling.

No two ways about it, even for their time, the 6 cylinder Duratec engines certainly didn't have fuel economy in their list of strengths!

Man of Honour
What sort of economy can be had from a ~3L BMW engine from the 90s?

40mpg, because the main 3 litre BMW engine from the 90's is that from the 530d (Assuming we discount the early M3 engine). The 3 litre petrol M54 didn't appear until the 21st century.

I know Fox can get 38-39MPG or whatever from his on a motorway run but IIRC even he's admitted that its economy is crap around town, as are most cars.

Mine is on 19.8mpg - pure town useage.

Soldato
Say we don't get much traffic here but lets say my journeys have been that short, that my engine hasn't really chance to warm up for a while.

Like i have said, when i was doing silly miles i could achieve 24-26MPG driving like a complete granny. Usually around 20-22 though when driving normal ( my kind of normal i guess) and this was along open 40-50mph country roads.

So my point is still valid, that if you can only achieve 26 when driving like a complete granny, the engine is ridiculously thirsty for the power it returns?

And Howard is incorrect to say the ST220 is more fuel efficient than a Focus ST. My commute to work is 5 miles through 2 populated urban towns, with several roundabouts and traffic lights, the highest speed limit is 50 along the route. Granted my time of day commute does not see much traffic, but it's certainly not steady maintained 6th gear driving.

Soldato
To be honest these arguments are silly unless we're all experiencing each other's driving first-hand. I know that when I commute I drive in a relaxed fashion to maximise economy but Rybo's idea of 'relaxed driving' might not be quite the same, and the littlest differences can make a difference to average economy.

As for the Focus ST, I can only go by what I've heard about them not being able to crack much more than 30 on a run, etc, but then again people tend to say that about the Mondeo..

Ross what sort of economy do you get on a run at 70mph? And what sort of average do you achieve from this:

My commute to work is 5 miles through 2 populated urban towns, with several roundabouts and traffic lights, the highest speed limit is 50 along the route. Granted my time of day commute does not see much traffic, but it's certainly not steady maintained 6th gear driving.

I can't see if you've mentioned already or not so sorry if so!

Soldato
zoin.JPG

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rossk26/focus

06/10/13 - Drive to Manchester and back mainly motorway cruising at 70, could have been better but the M62 was crawling pace due to heavy rain fail as we approached the M60.

20/04/13 - My only other motorway drive, this was to Donnington, don't think I could have done much better, except for the "I'm a racing driver" style driving when leaving the track after watching BTCC all day :p

The summer months have been exceptional, I haven't dropped below 30! Didn't notice that until I seen that table. Obviously the weather plays a factor in reducing fuel consumption, but I'd also say driving style too. I'm far happier in the summer, and thus will reflect on my driving style to happily cruise much smoother, and not be in a rush like the dull winter months.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well it just goes to show, then, that much of what is spouted on certain single-vehicle forums is tripe. :)

I think mine would be higher if there wasn't as much traffic through the town/urban section (~40%) of my commute :(

Back
Top Bottom