Show Us Your Motors!

how much more than a grand was it? these are cool little cars.

I paid £3800 for it. It's a 2007 & only done 29,000 miles, FSH with a cambelt change last year, seems like a bargain to me but it's early days yet. If I'd had the expertise & balls to buy a Cat C one I think I could have had one for about a grand less.

I think he means its the first car he's paid more than a grand for, could be wrong

Nope you're correct.

Last edited:
I'd love a V8 S4 but I don't think I could live with the MPG and living where tax is based on engine size makes it prohibitive. £1k+ annual tax, no chance!
3.0 is €750, 3.2 is €1000.

Was considering a V6 TT but again, MPG and tax put me off. That, and I don't think I could get 2 snowboards, luggage and a 6ft gf in there ;)

Is it difficult/expensive to get the car registered on Belgian plates?

I paid £3800 for it. It's a 2007 & only done 29,000 miles, FSH with a cambelt change last year, seems like a bargain to me but it's early days yet. If I'd had the expertise & balls to buy a Cat C one I think I could have had one for about a grand less.

you made the right call not getting a category C. Sounds like a decent price.

I think he means its the first car he's paid more than a grand for, could be wrong

I know what he meant.

Just bought my first car :)

b81r8z.jpg

28ap5k2.jpg

254vrm8.jpg

BMW 316I M Sport. Not bad for a first car.

Is it difficult/expensive to get the car registered on Belgian plates?
Not really. Go to customs, get hand in the old car documents from whatever country it's from, get a Belgian one. Get a stamp from your insurance, get an MOT. Then either stand in line for ages or have a number plate sent in the post.
Go make your own front one and you're all set.

The registration tax depends completely on whether you live in Flanders, Brussels or Wallonia. I'm going to pay €750 registration tax in Flanders.
Brussels would be €2230 and Wallonia would be €2230 plus another €700 CO2 tax. Absolute madness!

The only issue I have is that it doesn't have an EU Certificate of Conformity so I have to order it and it'll take 10 days. €60 in Germany, €200 in Belgium!

FWIW, I've only bought this because I sold my BMW as I thought I'd be staying in Denmark, but I've taken a job in Belgium again so I need wheels.
Importing this S3 into Denmark would cost £15-20 grand. On a £10k car.

Best £115 I spent on the car I'd say with that steering wheel re-trim, will do the same to any future car too :cool:

It's a lovely example you have Robbie!

I think it's in great condition for an 11 year old car pushing 106k miles! What you can't see in photos is what you'd notice up close, small stone scuffs on the front bumper from years of motorway driving, a stone chip on the windscreen - Little things like that. There are no carpark dings as of yet though :eek:

I need to get the centre exhaust section looked at as I can hear a slight blowing and an oil service is due soon. I think another pulley is due to be changed too as the rattle on cold starts is back but other than the usual stuff I'm quite chuffed with how it's held up.

I think the above 2 photos will be the last photos it has taken in my ownership :p

I've always wanted an E46 M3 and it's only really been the last year or two where the insurance has really dropped as have the car prices themselves into a range I'm happy with. £250~ fully comp!

Anyway though, it would need to be the right colour with the right trim and age/condition/options without being totally lolprice so until I find that one car I'm happy to wait it out a bit longer. I don't want just an M3, I could pick one up for a few k if that was the case. I want an M3 that's right for me and will give years of enjoyment :)

Oh servicing costs aren’t a problem any more as my annual mileage is <3000 – The costs I was concerned with before were initial buy and insurance. We are talking £1k+ fully comp.

Strangely the last quote I got back a couple months back was for £258 or something with Swiftcover. I’m sure comparison sites will be even cheaper. One of the upsides to 8yrs NCB and being 30 I guess in a good postcode area.

I know many don’t like the engine/exhaust note but I really like it. One with a manual gearbox would please me silly. I know I'm asking for a lot and the chances of finding one are kind of slim but will see what happens I guess and if it doesn't work out then given the time that will no doubt pass I'd have saved even more to be able to afford something maybe even a bit newer :p

To be honest you'll probably wait years for something that comes up for sale in a condition that is up to your standard, better holding back a grand or something to buy something and bring it up to the cosmetic standard you want.

Back
Top Bottom