Show Us Your Motors!

I loved my E46, I miss it daily but the mpg and repair costs would be crazy here. (ok gas maybe not so much but it wouldn't be getting over 20 mpg UK over here)

That's simply not true - you'd get miles over 20mpg UK from something like a 330Ci in Florida.

I don't think I've ever averaged less than 30mpg on a road trip and that's well over 10k miles in various large engined cars - including a 340bhp 3.7 Infiniti G37S.

When I was looking for my truck I had $5k to spend, I literally couldn't find anything at all under 150k miles (my truck was on 163k when i got it) so there is a used car market, but cars are so important here that mileage is high... rust is low though I admit.

City driving here is exactly that, you sit at a light and creep forward most of the way to work, I managed 24mpg in the UK on fairly uncongested roads in my 330ci, I'd be lucky to get 20mpg UK here in that car.

Gas is cheap, but also relative, costs about $55 to fill up my truck (not filled the Subaru yet, that runs on premium).

Used cars also have zero service history as people don't keep it, they tend to change the oil every 3k miles and that's about it, and that's only some of the cars... of course there's no record of this so you can only go by what you're told.

[TW]Fox;26840470 said:
That's simply not true - you'd get miles over 20mpg UK from something like a 330Ci in Florida.

I don't think I've ever averaged less than 30mpg on a road trip and that's well over 10k miles in various large engined cars - including a 340bhp 3.7 Infiniti G37S.

You've clearly not driven in rush hour in Tampa getting into downtown :)

You bought at the extreme low end with your truck, the US doesnt have an extreme low end as the UK does as being a LHD country there are huge export markets - all the really crap stuff gets exported. We dont get that in the UK hence the huge glut of £1000 BMW's around.

At a higher budget, say $10k-$15k, well under your Subaru budget, there is an absolute wealth of gorgeous European metal to be had there. You just needed to up your used budget above that which you would need to spend here. We have a very unique RHD market here.

Upgraded from my first car (1.2 clio), that I have owned for over 2.5years. Wanted some power and have always loved the look of the coupe so have treated myself to an early 21st b'day present.

IMG_3891_zps2fec6d83.jpg

IMG_3885_zps7e879492.jpg

IMG_3884_zps90d60b49.jpg

You've clearly not driven in rush hour in Tampa getting into downtown :)

Actually I have and I bet the car wasn't doing great mpg either but if 100% of your driving is sitting at 3mph in rushour in Tampa then an Impreza is totally rubbish, so I rather suspect you use a car for a tad more than just doing that and therefore you'd average a tad more than just 20mpg.

Yes... but I didn't want to spend $15k on an oldish BMW that won't have any service history and will cost a small fortune if it breaks (German parts are expensive here so I've been told)

I've always wanted a brand new car, this was a good price and I enjoyed it immensely. 240pounds a month to own this isn't a bad price.

Upgraded from my first car (1.2 clio), that I have owned for over 2.5years. Wanted some power and have always loved the look of the coupe so have treated myself to an early 21st b'day present.

IMG_3891_zps2fec6d83.jpg

IMG_3885_zps7e879492.jpg

IMG_3884_zps90d60b49.jpg

Lovely car mate, I've always liked the look of the coupe. How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking?

Lovely car mate, I've always liked the look of the coupe. How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking?
13k will probably be told I paid too much but I'm happy with it, it's in brilliant condition, low mileage, the options I wanted and from bmw with new discs and pads all round as well as almost new tyres.

Looks good, and absolutely love that two tone leather! :)
Thanks, I've had a lot of people commenting on how good the individual spec leather and dash looks.

[TW]Fox;26840709 said:
It's a very good price if it is to own it. Are they not normally leases over there though?

You choose, finance or lease. Lease isn't much good to me due to the mileage I may be doing with work (not a massive amount but 10-12k) and most leases get pricey once you start adding mileage.

Insurance is a big problem too, my insurance on this is $2100, insurance prices here are exceptionally high, especially in this city due to the idiots running into each other and claiming whiplash. Injury liability literally makes up 50% of the cost of insurance. If I wanted to lease I'd have to have 100/300k insurance minimum, meaning my insurance costs would be ridiculous.

The reason my insurance is so high is because I've only 'technically' had my licence for 4 months since I got here, they don't count the UK licence at all.

Back
Top Bottom