Show Us Your Motors!

It went to a detailer. But he said he can't do anything for it as the lacquer is too thin. There is a mark on the bonnet which he says is from someone machine polishing it and it was to thin and burnt through.

I have been tempted to have the poor parts smart repaired by a chap I know and then using a DA on it but I'm worried I might burn through the lacquer.

Hence why wrapping or dipping it is best financial move to give it a refreshing look and project the paintwork.

The car "kits" are over $400 even in the states pre tax, with a loading and tax to add here the materials are not particularly cheaper than vinyl at all?

The local place to me charges a very similar amount for wrap and dip, hence being surprised that you had somehow found somewhere able to plastidip for pretty much material cost only.

Here its £260 to buy the spray gun kit and enough to do a small car with 5 coats.

So its much cheaper when the person doing it all ready has the kit and just needs to buy the dip at £80 for enough to do a whole car

It sounds like the best financial move is to get rid of the thing, its always going to look like a tatty done up example. Find a nice mint 182.

Here its £260 to buy the spray gun kit and enough to do a small car with 5 coats.

So its much cheaper when the person doing it all ready has the kit and just needs to buy the dip at £80 for enough to do a whole car

Err, this will be some sort of low grade stuff, plastidip is £75 per tin. You need clearcut over the top, undercoat ideally, and multiple tins per coat. The materials amount to hundreds for a whole car!

Plastidip needs to be thinned using correct thinners.

You need to use a primer if going for bright colours, no need though.

And you don't need a clear coat over the top, you can add a gloss coat but that's more money.

I have researched it all hence why I'm getting it done.

I didn't research that at all fox hence why I ended up with a pile of crap. But after I have thrown money at it its actually running fine, few small niggles like reverse lights just stopped working but again it's a cheap £12 sensor on the gearbox. No big deal :)

You have a point. But I do enjoy the car and honestly don't mind spending 300 quid out of my bonus I got recently on changing it's colour :)

May just leave it black and blue tbh

It's what makes you happy that matters most. Sure, spending your money to make it look nicer will result in that. However, I think you'd be even happier long term if you saved your money :p just my two pence there.

What about this fantastic example....

ugly.jpg

mate of yours? ;)

Back
Top Bottom