Show Us Your Motors!

It'd be financially stupid tbh, plus as much as I like the engine I don't feel the rest of the 1 series is a very good car really!(sorry)
It has it's flaws for sure. My E87 is nowhere near as well put together as the E46 I had before. The suspension is noisey, rear leg room is non-existent and (for me a 6ft5) the doors are badly positioned making it a difficult car to get in and out of without practice. Having lived with it for while, if buying again I would definitely look for a 3 door. The LE doesn't have cruise either, which for me is a requirement, but that can always be retrofitted pretty easily.

In its favour, it's a much nicer place to be than any other equivalent age/power hatch, in M-Sport trim looks decent but doesn't attract unwanted attention, has very comfy seats and there are plenty of well specced ones out there. It's much cheaper to run than an R32, and crucially a better drive than just about any other practical alternative for the money.

That said, I am considering adding a weekend toy in the form of a 350Z, Impreza, or even an E46 M3 to the driveway next year.

I love the look of the TT. But a derv in a coupe is just wrong. A friend on mine at work bought the exact same combination and he is constantly ribbed for it, especially as he only lives 15 miles away.

I've not driven a diesel TT but I can't imagine that 2.0TDI engine does anything other than ruin the experience. I know it would for me.

I don't know why people think 4 pot diesels are "flexible". In an urban environment I find them anything but. If you try and accelerate at low engine speeds in 2nd or 3rd for example, it just makes a laborious din. At least with a petrol engine and more-so with a turbocharged one, you have plenty of flexibility in this regard so you don't have to stir the gearbox quite as much.

I was really impressed with the 1.2 TSI in a Golf I recently drove.

It has it's flaws for sure. My E87 is nowhere near as well put together as the E46 I had before. The suspension is noisey, rear leg room is non-existent and (for me a 6ft5) the doors are badly positioned making it a difficult car to get in and out of without practice. Having lived with it for while, if buying again I would definitely look for a 3 door. The LE doesn't have cruise either, which for me is a requirement, but that can always be retrofitted pretty easily.

In its favour, it's a much nicer place to be than any other equivalent age/power hatch, in M-Sport trim looks decent but doesn't attract unwanted attention, has very comfy seats and there are plenty of well specced ones out there. It's much cheaper to run than an R32, and crucially a better drive than just about any other practical alternative for the money.

This is the problem - I already own a flawed hot hatch, moving from one that is incredibly flexible (in terms of space) for a car of its size, with great seats but a crap ride, ancient suspension and a creaky interior to one with a nicer interior but zero space, still a poor ride, slightly poorer dry handling, a couple of years older albeit with a more flexible engine for a couple of grand extra just doesn't make sense. Especially seeing as i've only had the civic for about 7 months or so.

I echo the feels of dervs, my 320d was dire, the power band was very narrow, granted I do about 25k-30k miles a year, so from a cost point of view it did make sense. AND the dags, oh the dags.....

But now with hybrid petrols like my 2.5l Lexus which is 221bhp it is petrol and has a much better power band delivery, and the fuel costs are actually lower than the 320d when cruising on the motorway, which is where I do most of my miles.

[TW]Fox;27132374 said:
Yea, its always that. Never about mpgz. Always because of the 'driveability'.

Funny how when you get a diesel, no one blinks an eye and yet if I remember correctly your commute is only like 10 mins driving through plymouth.

I do enough long journeys that a for me, at this current point in time, a diesel makes more sense. For the price, I 'could' have got a TTS though it would be slightly older, higher running costs (I imagine brakes are much more expensive - I know they are on the RS), higher insurance etc.

I got ribbed when I posted my first A1 (PETROL), I got ribbed when I posted the A1 2.0TDI (despite it being better spec/bit quicker/more sporty). I am not suprised if any car I choose will get a bashing on here.

That said, I do like the brand new TT coming out but it is quite expensive and more than I'd like to spend on a car.

How did you end up purchasing this one - is it a pcp type deal or just a finance job?

As I said already, diesel wouldn't be for me but I like the car regardless

Funny how when you get a diesel, no one blinks an eye and yet if I remember correctly your commute is only like 10 mins driving through plymouth.

I do enough long journeys that a for me, at this current point in time, a diesel makes more sense. For the price, I 'could' have got a TTS though it would be slightly older, higher running costs (I imagine brakes are much more expensive - I know they are on the RS), higher insurance etc.

I got ribbed when I posted my first A1 (PETROL), I got ribbed when I posted the A1 2.0TDI (despite it being better spec/bit quicker/more sporty). I am not suprised if any car I choose will get a bashing on here.

That said, I do like the brand new TT coming out but it is quite expensive and more than I'd like to spend on a car.

He's commented on that before saying that if he would have got a petrol if he could but theres hardly any for sale and no great examples... or something familiar.

There's a difference between getting a 3L diesel 5 Series instead of a rare 3L petrol and a 2L diesel Sports Coupé instead of a petrol when you have all the choice.. :rolleyes:
You can't compare the argument really.

If you like it fair enough, bully for you. Just don't get too surprised at others being confused or laughing over the decision.

Last edited:

you got ribbed for the A1s because they were A1s. and you had two of them. :p

The TT is a much nicer car all round regardless of the engine. As I mentioned, I like that style of wheel on Audis, I perhaps wouldnt have had such a dark colour on a black car though but its your call.

I think the main thing is that its not like a petrol equivalent would have cost much more to run on long journeys. it doesnt seem like you keep cars long enough to take brake replacements into costing consideration either :p

Am I right that TT has the same engine as the old Golf GTD?

I've ended up with a diesel this company car cycle and while I'm happy with my choice and like my car, I miss the engine in my Alfa sometimes.

give us a shout if you require any spoiler advice :)

LOL I have to admit I wasn't keen on your ironing board spoiler but it is slowly growing on me. Not sure if its worth adding a spoiler to the TT. It already has a small one that pops up when going over 60mph (or there is a button you can press).

There is an oem fixed spoiler avaiable though.

Back
Top Bottom