Show Us Your Motors!

Couple of new pics below.

CHROME BEGONE!

blacksurround.jpg

Pipercross Induction Kit w/Heatshield

enginebay.jpg

What gains does the Pipercross bring and can it be done to any car in general ?

Cost?!

More induction noise
A few BHP. Some cars benefit more than others but generally a couple of BHP is usual on most cars.

Can also take power away if not boxed in as above. As soon as the engine is hot all the filter does is suck in hot air. Boxing it in with a decent cold air feed is the best option unless you go for a enclosed kit like a Viper but they are £200+

Cost is anything from £10 to Hundreds depending on kit.

What car do you have?

Orange Peel more or less covered it really. Induction noise on 6 cylinder bimmer engine = :D Nice and quiet during idle / small power .. put your foot down and it sounds nice.

It was about £140, but will vary vehicle to vehicle.

More induction noise
A few BHP. Some cars benefit more than others but generally a couple of BHP is usual on most cars.

Can also take power away if not boxed in as above. As soon as the engine is hot all the filter does is suck in hot air. Boxing it in with a decent cold air feed is the best option unless you go for a enclosed kit like a Viper but they are £200+

Cost is anything from £10 to Hundreds depending on kit.

What car do you have?

2litre 4cyl sport coupe (143bhp)

Hmm sounds alright I suppose, so basically down the line if I chose to do something with spare cash and get a new discreet backbox (less baffles, better twin exit) and perhaps one of these Pipercross intakes I could benefit from a few more BHP taking the car a bit over 150.

More so it should improve any flat spots low down so that would be of benefit!

Well a remap adds 10BHP to this engine and a intake+exhaust costs half of a remap and it's only 7BHP it has to gain but that's not the thing, the thing would be benefiting from a bigger airflow I'd have thought so improving economy as well even if it's 1-2MPG and less chance of flat spots?

2litre 4cyl sport coupe (143bhp)

Hmm sounds alright I suppose, so basically down the line if I chose to do something with spare cash and get a new discreet backbox (less baffles, better twin exit) and perhaps one of these Pipercross intakes I could benefit from a few more BHP taking the car a bit over 150.

More so it should improve any flat spots low down so that would be of benefit!

If your car is mechanically sound then a quality induction kit and backbox may give you a few BHP but nothing you'll really notice. With those mods its more about the sound than the performance it'll give you. Twin exit wont give you any extra as the existing part of the exhaust is still the same diameter. To get more BHP you'd have to increase the bore size and in turn increase the breathing capability, adjust fueling and timing etc.

The flat spot may be ironed out however induction kits can cause them too. For example a 2l I had from an Astra GTE seemed to rev slightly better at the top end near the limiter but lower down it just made more noise and created a nasty flat spot around 3K RPM. I went back to the original air box with a decent cold air feed and found the same results as before minus the extra sound and flat spot.

Well a remap adds 10BHP to this engine and a intake+exhaust costs half of a remap and it's only 7BHP it has to gain but that's not the thing, the thing would be benefiting from a bigger airflow I'd have thought so improving economy as well even if it's 1-2MPG and less chance of flat spots?

You're not really going to get much better airflow unless the existing air box is designed to restrict flow. Like some smaller CC engined cars which have channels inside the air box to reduce noise.

A remap takes the original map which ever car has and tweaks it to suit the characteristics of your engine, which will then squeeze a few BHP out of it. The filter will help but probably only a couple of BHP at most. The back box probably wont give you anything despite what the manufacturers state.

Sounds very simple to do, I'm guessing you could DIY a few inch wide duct from one of the grille vents to the airbox ? but this would mean more dirt can get in there?

I have just reliased I havn't posted this yet, my new 'toy'.

Its a 2004 '54' Audi A3 3.2 Quattro sport with the DSG gearbox. It is standard apart from the following extras:

- Full S-line leather sport seats
- Electric lumbar
- Bose Audi
- Xenons
- Rear park distance control
- Automatic headlamps / windscreen wipers / dimming rear view mirror
- SE light pack

Oh and a Welsh griffin which I got on my last visit to North Wales.

P111008_1206.jpg

P111008_120601.jpg

P111008_1207.jpg

P111008_120701.jpg

I bought it as I wanted something fast AND comfortable (Comfort was not something the Trophy did well at all). I have owned one of these before albeit a manual version and despite them being technically the same car the DSG box changes the way the car behaves (also having good tyres compared to my last 3.2 makes a large difference). It is also nice being able to just sit back and relax on my way to work letting the car do all of the gear changes and then at the weekends sliding the box into 'S' and paddle shifting.

Given the size of the engine it can be quite economical (somthing due in part to the excellent gearbox). I did a test on my last £20 (@ 105.9ppl - 18.89 litres) driving normally (ie my commute to work) and I managed 135 miles before my fuel guage hit the same point before I refuelled, (the fuel warning light coming on). This works out to be just over 32mpg which isn't too bad at all and is better than my dad is getting in his A3 2.0T FSI Quattro (which can be seen in the background in the first pic).

Overall I am very pleased with the car and the best thing is the Mrs has given me the green light to look at a Monaro / VXR8 / Corvette (and similar cars) :D) for our next car! (using the 3.2 as a stepping stone to something a lot more powerful).

Disclaimer - Please excuse the picture quality, they were taken with my LG viewty. I still havn't got used to its features yet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom