Show Us Your Motors!

[TW]Fox;29894967 said:
Whilst I like the Golf it's an odd move from a 2013 5 Series. Is that yours on AT at the moment?

Yes it is.

Well, an odd move it may be. But the truth is, I don't need a big diesel since getting the Alhambra, so wanted something petrol, but worth paying petrol fuel bills for.

I initially figured that a circa 2007 or so DB9 wouldn't lose any more money over the next 3 years than another 5 series would (not that I wouldn't have waited for the new one, had that been the plan), so I was looking at them for a while.

But there are to be redundancies at my work (I am safe, just now anyway). And it wouldn't look good for me to rock up in a DB9 while others are losing their jobs.

I looked at a 340i, but quickly realised I am now ruined for BMW's. The 140i is too small. The interior of the 340i, well, I don't need to tell you. They are all downgrades from the 5. I could have went 535i, but then that is gonna be too big to be the fun car I really want, and anyway, it would end up the same as my current car, with a different engine. I need a change. A real change.

So I went to Audi. Looking at the S4. It was nice. Really quite fun on the test drive, and the salesman was bricking it. But, in reality, I wouldn't want to buy an old one when the new turbo one is just round the corner. I also wouldn't want to buy one without driving one, and you can't order them yet anyway.

The RS3 was a contender though. But there aren't any local to me, that aren't private, that I could go see what the script is.

Anyway, this story could go on further, showing all the options I explored. But the crux of it is, this fits perfect for just now. It's cheap, so no worries about taking it to work when people are getting laid off. It is a special edition, so should hold it's value reasonably well, assuming I dont ruin it. Which I fully intend to do, as it's been ages since I had a motor I could properly tinker with. So I plan on this one seeing around 340 BHP. Since the potential is there to do this quite easily. And I've always had this itch needing scratched. I'd always fancied an Edition 30 since they were released when I had my old Mk4 GTI.

And while that's all happening, I can save more deposit for perhaps a later DB9 in a couple years once the work picks up.

Last edited:
I am fairly sure I have seen that ED30 at a rolling road day and it was running 350bhp ish

It does feel quick, but I can't imagine it's 350 BHP quick. It doesn't (as far as I know anyway) have the supporting mods for 350 bhp for a start. It doesn't feel as fast as my 335d or S4 (which were both in around that region too), but then again it was a long time ago that I drove them motors.

It does feel slightly stronger than my 530d, but then again, there is only about 25 BHP between them, and the 5 is a much bigger, heavier car. I suspect the mods already on it will be helping a little, but I can't imagine it'll be the length of 250 BHP personally, as it is.

Unless your 530d is broken it's considerably quicker than a standard Golf GTI so if really does feel quicker then it's got to be fairly powerful. Sounds like you need to visit an RR!

Really? Didn't think the extra 25 bhp or so would make up for all that extra weight. I was mostly putting it down to a different power delivery profile. I'm not really sure how much quicker it may feel, because, in reality, I've always had the kids in it, so never hoofed it yet, and never really properly hoofed the 530d either, lol.

I was planning an RR anyway, just to see what I'm working with. These cars are a bit notorious for big gains with remaps, so who knows? Maybe it has had something done. Plus I'm planning on any mapping to be done at R-Tech, and that is a pretty big drive for me, so probably best to see what she has first.

That's what I thought. Then looked on AT for 0-60 times (probably not overly accurate admittedly), but around 1s difference. That is quite significant.

That being said, still pretty sure it's not knocking out 350 BHP. Maybe a little over standard (I hope).

It's a case with a lot of these new gen cars (5-series being one with its lightening fast gearbox) that 0-60 is something of a misleadingly low figure compared with older stuff like that golf...

So the 640d went yesterday and has been replaced by this

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Its a Seat Leon Cupra 290 Black DSG and so far I'm very pleased with it. Over the last 24 months my life has goon through a fair bit of upheaval and my requirements have changed, so 4 doors and 5 seats is now a good thing and the 6 was just a bit cramped in the back. I'm also doing a lot less miles so the amount of money I was paying out for the 640d was beginning to grate...so this is on a 24 month lease.

I'm very impressed with how it drives, the DSG box is great and well matched to the engine which has a lot of power for a 2.0 Turbo unit. Its comfy to pootle around in but has very good body control when being pushed. Sound system is decent enough and the sat nav/media unit is very good and I particularly like CarPlay. LED headlights are extremely good which i'm pleased about.

Fantastic looking motor the new Cupra. The alloys look great aswell are they 19's or 20's?
I don't think I've seen a single one of these on the road but I've seen plenty of the Golf R's about which are similar priced.

Back
Top Bottom