Show Us Your Motors!

Best audio I've had in a car is my Z4, 10 Speakers in it, not bad for something that was released in 2003.

Miles ahead of my first car, which was a clio, 6 standard speakers and to unbalance it all off, a silly powerful 1600w Sub in the boot xD I miss those days.

Yes Bose in the mk2 TT wasn't anything special though far better than standard. The Bang & Olufsen in the mk3 is outstanding...the best I've heard in a car.

I would hate to hear the standard audio!

TBH the shape of the interior won't help, the best thing i can say about it is the sound is totally non-directional which must be due to the speaker in the center of the dash.

Always liked B&O, will keep that in mind for the future.

Bose is good high street stuff. Not for audio enthusiasts though.

Beware of brand names in cars though, for example B&W's in Jags are actually made by Phillips. I'm not super impressed by the Dynaudios in my Golf either - i'm not sure if it's just a brand endorsement or they are proper units. Appreciate cars are made to a budget.

Only reason I went for the Dynaudio option was due to the amount of hassle involved with installing my DLS/Genesis/Peerless kit into a lease car. CBA.

I have to say I'm not one of these people that is particularly bothered about car audio. If it sounds good, and clear and reasonable even at motorway speeds that's all I'm after. It's a car, not my home cinema system. I also listen to a lot of talk radio - but even my mp3s sounds fine. I did upgrade my head unit so I could actually shove a usb stick into it, but I've never been bothered by sound quality in a car.

At home, that's entirely different!

Beware of brand names in cars though, for example B&W's in Jags are actually made by Phillips.

Not sure if that's still true or not though.

A lot of the Sony stuff that Ford fit is actually rebadged Viston too. The "Sony premium" unit that I removed from my ST220 sounded like arse in comparison to the Alpine unit which I replaced it with. I'm hugely impressed with how good the speakers (I believe they're built by Pioneer but I'm not sure how true that is) in my current Mondeo sound. They just need a little bit more amplification clout which I may fix one day by means of external amps, line converter/DSP, and maybe a small subwoofer. Cheaper than buying a B&W-equipped Jag, anyway :).

Last edited:
[TW]Fox;29919153 said:
My Harmon Kardon system is good but not blow you away astounding super audiophile.

It's good enough though. The HK systems that BMW fit (if the option is ticked) are pretty decent IMO. It's just a pity that so many people would prefer to ruin the ride quality by fitting massive wheels than spend less on fitting decent speakers.

I have to say I'm not one of these people that is particularly bothered about car audio. If it sounds good, and clear and reasonable even at motorway speeds that's all I'm after. It's a car, not my home cinema system. I also listen to a lot of talk radio - but even my mp3s sounds fine. I did upgrade my head unit so I could actually shove a usb stick into it, but I've never been bothered by sound quality in a car.

At home, that's entirely different!

For the last few years I've always lived in places where you can't really play loud music as it would disturb the neighbors - the car is the only place I really listen to music properly so it's really important for me. I suspect I'd feel differently if I had a house in the country with no neighbors :p

He's saying he likes to listen at volume which he can't do at home, hence his car system being important to him as it gets a lot of use...

The meridian surround system in the wife's Evoque is probably the most impressive i've heard to date. Shame she only seems to listen to Absolute 80s on it... Do love that it can rip CDs onto its hard drive in a lossless format as well :)

I have a full JBL system in mine (optional extra), components in front with tweeters on dash, same in back, amp and sub behind rear seats. Surprisingly good, significantly better than the optional extra Kicker system in my WRX

I would hate to hear the standard audio!

TBH the shape of the interior won't help, the best thing i can say about it is the sound is totally non-directional which must be due to the speaker in the center of the dash.

Always liked B&O, will keep that in mind for the future.

Yep definitely worth the initial cost which is like £1.6k. Apparantly the standard speaker set up is rubbish - only like 4 speakers so worth upgrading to either the Audi sound system (8 speakers I think) or B&O (12 speakers).

Last edited:
Ahhh I've just been reminded of the time I tried to figure out why the rear speakers weren't working in my Polo, so I removed the rear cards, only to find that the reason they weren't working was because there were no speakers there... I did have a good chuckle... :D

Not sure if that's still true or not though.

A lot of the Sony stuff that Ford fit is actually rebadged Viston too. The "Sony premium" unit that I removed from my ST220 sounded like arse in comparison to the Alpine unit which I replaced it with. I'm hugely impressed with how good the speakers (I believe they're built by Pioneer but I'm not sure how true that is) in my current Mondeo sound. They just need a little bit more amplification clout which I may fix one day by means of external amps, line converter/DSP, and maybe a small subwoofer. Cheaper than buying a B&W-equipped Jag, anyway :).

I'd like to upgrade my headunit as the SQ isn't fantastic, but yeah, that's not happening.

9GPXMHn.png

Back
Top Bottom