Show Us Your Motors!

Soldato
So, just for the crack, here is what I bought today.

A 2002 Passat SE TDI 130. 149k on the clock, and barely any rust. It was the father in laws before, and he wanted rid. It had taken a small prang to the door, so the insurance wrote it off with a CAT C marker. So thought I fancied doing an Acme and going for a dog. I was initially wanting something a little nicer for my airport runs (drive to aiport, leave for 7-15 days, drive home, maybe once every 3-6 weeks), but hey, for £300 with decent MOT, decent history, almost no rust, and since it's been me sourcing the parts and stuff for the past few years, I know all the bits on it are decent too.

Anyway, imagine a CAT C for this:

One kettle of hot water and a plunger later (inspired by the "pull a dent out with a *****" youtube video)...

Thats a lot better. It'll do me. For the money I paid, and for the use it'll be getting, it'll be fine.

Sure, I wanted a ST220 originally. Then fancied an ST170 as a part-time track car, and ended up with another TDI Passat. But hey, leaves more money left over to do some upgrades to the Edition 30. So really it's a win. And sure, the car is virtually worthless now its a CAT C, but I really didn't pay much for it in the first place.

Soldato
Yeah, doubt it would be particularly expensive but difficult to find the colour. Anyway, even £50 is more than I want to spend on cosmetics. Like I said, the car is basically worth scrap due to the market, so new head unit and service, then just keep it on the road.

Caporegime
But as someone who likes their cars, you wouldn't do that would you? :p

Plus cars actually have to be roadworthy over here, so there will be no driving around after being T-Boned with the side of the car gone etc. :p

Soldato
But as someone who likes their cars, you wouldn't do that would you? :p

Plus cars actually have to be roadworthy over here, so there will be no driving around after being T-Boned with the side of the car gone etc. :p

I owned a multi colored Tigra for 2.5 years before I got my BMW, it was blue... with green and silver lol. It also cost 300 so I really didn't care about the state of it providing it was mechanically sound.

Soldato
People in the UK worry too much about what their cars look like, here they still drive them even after getting t-boned and the side of the car gone :p

As said, we have MOT's yearly and our cars have to be in reasonable condition to be on the road. Although I did see a binbag window whilst driving up the M6 the other day. Thought that might have been a bit uncomfortable.

I don't care about this car at all, but none the less, was worth a punt for the cost of boiling a kettle. And it came out not too bad. My Golf on the other hand, that will now be going in for paint a bit quicker.

It's a shame that cars end up as cat C or D after minor prangs.

Yes, it is a shame. Cat C was a bit much I thought, but hey ho, not to worry. I think that is what put of the buyer my father in law had lined up before. He pulled out, so I made my offer. He did ask for more than I offered, but it really wouldn't have been worth more, and anyway, between what I gave him and what his insurance gave him, he'll be getting a grand for a £650 car. So he should be laughing really.

Caporegime
Dad had his 2001 A6 Avant rear ended at low speed the other year, bearing in mind his car is in really good nick.

The only damage was a slightly cracked rear bumper, with stress marks on it etc, and the rear edge of the boot floor (vertical part) was a bit bent. It got a CAT D write off and I think he got a payout of about £2000. He bought the car back from the insurance company for £180 and fixed it to the point where you'd never know it had happened for £200. :p

Back
Top Bottom