Show Us Your Motors!

Soldato
why would you want a diesel 5 series as a fun car?

a 150mi/day car yes but not a fun/only car.

The very same reason I got rid of mine. I wanted a fun car, as I had another car more suited to the daily duties.

It looks very smart (well done vauxhall on that, it does look good), but i do hate this trend toward expensive tyres on cars like this. With the combination of Vauxhall insisting on belt driving their engines and things like that, they really are narrowing in on the running costs of more premium stuff.

Couldn't agree more. A friend of the wife had some awful looking Insignia, just a standard run-of-the-mill thing. But with 20" wheels. I mean, if I could afford to pay for 20" tyres, I'd unlikely be driving a Vauxhaull Insignia.

Soldato
Ha ha. I agree. I bought it as a family car, at which it excelled. And it was fun, for what it was. At the time, Ferarri F360's were at a similar price to what I paid for the F11, but that obviously isn't the type of car I was needing at the time.

But then after a few years, and driving some bigger cars (like Range Rovers and stuff), I decided a bigger car for family duties would be preferred. I wanted 7 seats. So went for an MPV. Thus the 5 series was sitting barely used. Just for the occasional spin, or for the wife to commute to work in if she fancied. It was fine for that in all fairness. But I wanted something smaller and petrol, since I already had something bigger and diesel (and the issues at my work meaning it probably wan't a good move to go for something with a V12).

I had always fancied an Edition 30 since they were released, so decided to get one before they were all ruined with stupid miles and ripspeed wheels. I don't regret the move at all, never for even a second. I do miss the F11 occasionally. But I have a better collection of cars for my needs now.

Caporegime
Ha ha. I agree. I bought it as a family car, at which it excelled. And it was fun, for what it was. At the time, Ferarri F360's were at a similar price to what I paid for the F11, but that obviously isn't the type of car I was needing at the time.

I thought the F11 was on lease, hence why it ended up stuck around not being used due to the millage limit or something like that?

Soldato
I thought the F11 was on lease, hence why it ended up stuck around not being used due to the millage limit or something like that?

No. That's just what some idiots on here proclaimed in order to have a laugh I guess? It was on PCP, not lease. It was over mileage allowance, but that was irrelevant to my desicion to change (I had had it almost 3 years which is the longest I'd had a car ever, and the ppm was hardly unaffordable). It was sitting used a lot less than it used to be, but that was because the Alhambra was the easier car for our needs. So I decided I wanted something more fun for the more limited use the second car would get.

Of course, none of the actual reasons for moving it on mattered on here. People just decided to make up their own stories and everyone else rolled with it. So then the stories became "fact" apparently.

Soldato
Couldn't agree more. A friend of the wife had some awful looking Insignia, just a standard run-of-the-mill thing. But with 20" wheels. I mean, if I could afford to pay for 20" tyres, I'd unlikely be driving a Vauxhaull Insignia.

It's fine, the man at the tyre shop said these are just as good as the fancy tyres and are sooooo much cheaper.

*shudder*

Soldato
Wow. Sub £50 20" tyres? They gotta be high quality right there. "But the guy who owns Continental also owns the building these are made in, so they are probably better than CS6's"

Man of Honour
Had the car detailed today by Jimmer on the DC5 forum. He's starting out doing other people's cars after doing it as a hobby. Really pleased with the results! Also renewed the side decals as they were past their best.

5d2efc31dbbdc8ec37523c7446308759.jpg

94664452f81bf922477cfed780af1d63.jpg

d2232f0a93a3c4c40be4f945cb0f5599.jpg

e00001bd3d70787f818916ee17cb3822.jpg

6e797794c85e4f643f0b1f311bbf8eab.jpg

853addf94ce003c13ffd2fcb19c82057.jpg

0aa4b16c305659d107fe86e86189a034.jpg

Also cleared out and sorted the garage so I could fit the car in. I've been meaning to do it for ages because there's new houses going up so there's dust everywhere.

6f1ba9c3aafe13837662b42be03d78c4.jpg

Fits nicely.

0f63a37cf18f8a53f5c7b672ddcff8bb.jpg

I've had the house two and a half years and the garage has always been full of junk so I'm proper chuffed with it.

As per my other thread I had an issue with the RBC throttle body adaptor which was sorted. Very productive day!

Kei

Kei

Soldato
After a long journey up to north wales. A good run in for the new michelin crossclimates I had fitted before going. Thus far, they've been great, grippy in the wet and dry and much quieter but best of all is the improvement in comfort. It needs the last of the original engine mounts to be changed as it's sagging and allowing a little too much movement now.

Soldato
You post stuff like this and wonder why people wind you up with it?

I mean seriously?

You set them up every time with some of these gems.

I never once said I was seriously considering one. Do you not scan the market with your budget to see what you "could" buy if you threw all caution to the wind? Just out of curiosity? I mean, you could likely have been close to an early 997 for what you paid for your latest 530d no? Or maybe an Exige? Or a Discovery 4. Just because neither of these cars are what you ended up with, doesn't mean they couldn't be bought with similar money.

I mean, I wasn't obviously looking for a sportscar at that point, I was looking for a big family car. But someone else on a local car forum WAS looking for a sports car, and mentioned these at the time I was looking at A6's, 5 series, and XF's. So I went looking, for fun. And they were roughly similar prices. Sure, one was an ageing sportscar, and the other a brand new family estate, but they were the same price. Are you suggesting that I can't / shouldn't comment on prices of other cars? Cars I may, perhaps, not have the slightest interest in buying, but none the less, Sir Fox says I can't comment on how much they are going for, because I was looking at estate diesels.

I get it. You cannot see past BMW's. You have a lot of knowledge about them. And many of your posts are firmly rooted with the sensible hat on, sure. But really? You are saying that its ok to ridicule people because they mention what else they "could" have bought with their own money. Even if they never would. Or if someone decides to go a completely different way, for their own reasonable reasons, from the way they had initially considered. That, Sir Fox, is being a ****.

As it stood, I swapped my 5 series, a car I had little use for at the time, for a car I had always fancied owning at some point, that filled well the use I would need at the time. Sure, I did look at a couple DB9's before getting the Golf. Just because it seems crazy to you that someone could go from looking at Astons and ending up with a Golf, doesn't mean it wasn't a perfectly sensible move on my part, for my needs at the time. Yet somehow I was made out as some sort of laughing stock on here for it. Mainly down to your wrong analysis of my needs / wants at the time.

To be fair, I would never have even mentioned the Ferarri had Robbo not went on to compare the 5 series to a 911. It just made me think about what else I had seen at that price, at that time. Obviously I went on to by the 5 series, as it was the right car for me at that time.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Xs2Man;
How was your budget in any way comparable between a relatively sensibly priced, warranted, modern diesel family car, on finance for a sensible monthly figure - and a cash purchase of a an old near supercar which requires a cash purchase and then ongoing extreme maintenance with no real practical use.

The cash price is the same but it is nothing like the same thing - this is why people constantly pick you up on it and you get into these knots :p

Caporegime
Xs2Man;
How was your budget in any way comparable between a relatively sensibly priced, warranted, modern diesel family car, on finance for a sensible monthly figure - and a cash purchase of a an old near supercar which requires a cash purchase and then ongoing extreme maintenance with no real practical use.

The cash price is the same but it is nothing like the same thing - this is why people constantly pick you up on it and you get into these knots :p

This

Same cash price, but a completely different ownership proposition and longterm cost which makes it a fairly meaningless comparison.

Soldato
Do you not think I knew that? The cost differences in financing such a purchase? The costs involved in owning such a vehicle. I'm not a complete idiot. That's why I bought the 5 series FFS. You people need to learn to understand what is being said, and not just jump on the bandwagon.

I merely commented they were the same purchase price. Not that the 360 was even close to being a consideration. Never mind the fact the 360 appreciated by at least £20k in that time, compared to the £20k depreciation on the 5 series. It simply wasn't the vehicle I needed, so wasn't really looking at them. As I said, someone else had pointed them out at being the same price, so I simply commented that there, because Robbo brought up the comparison between the 5 series and a sportscar.

Back
Top Bottom