Show Us Your Motors!

Its a different car but when |I test drove a JCW Mini it had no grip what so ever on slightly damp roads, decent tyres just too much power on skinny wheels.

I've driven two generations of JCW Mini in the cold/damp (plus I've also driven one in the summer) and I'd describe neither as "having no grip whatsoever". Yes, if you are an ape and side-stepped the clutch it'd light up the fronts and but other than that they were hilarious to drive. FWD though so usual caveats around proper corner entry to avoid understeer etc.

I've driven two generations of JCW Mini in the cold/damp (plus I've also driven one in the summer) and I'd describe neither as "having no grip whatsoever". Yes, if you are an ape and side-stepped the clutch it'd light up the fronts and but other than that they were hilarious to drive. FWD though so usual caveats around proper corner entry to avoid understeer etc.
I appreciate quite a bit of difference in power but my Abarth had much better grip/handling, as now I tend to go for heavier cars to circumvent said issues.

I can't really remember what spec it was either.

Exactly, and the car in question is a standard Cooper with 140bhp. Something doesn't add up!

Current gen JCW does have fairly poor grip in the wet 100% down to the very poor Pirelli P7 Cinturato run flat tyres that come on them from the factory they are also very sensitive to wheel alignment although that's more it going sideways under heavy braking. When the wheel alignment is spot on it handles superbly.

I'm going to put a set Goodyear F1 Super Sports on it (PS4S not available in the required size) which should hopefully sort the almost laughable lack of traction in 1st and 2nd gear. On gear changes it will flicker the traction control even in the dry if the gearbox is in sports mode up to 5th.

I've went between AWD/RWD/FWD and you do get used to the traction available on AWD cars especially out of junctions/onto roundabouts where you can just floor it in the wet without any issues it takes a couple of drives to get used to having to modulate the throttle again when back in a FWD/RWD car.

NSX or GTO
(old pic prior covid!)
rk8GVuv.jpg

Place your bets now :D
eRrXPb8.jpg

edit - im probably biased(!) but im torn here, as a long time nsx fan i think i prefer the GTO's lines compared to this era of nsx here (dons flame suit :D)

I always found that late NSX to look a bit funny, it is a good looking car but I much prefer the earlier styling.

And i've always had a big soft spot for that GTO so...

GTO for me.

I always found that late NSX to look a bit funny, it is a good looking car but I much prefer the earlier styling.

And i've always had a big soft spot for that GTO so...

GTO for me.

I always loved the look of that era of NSX as was not much for older styling. Still in the end I bought a 3000 GT in blue and it was a great car, so much comfort and grip, not best handling car at limits but as a 7/10’s car it excelled and it went very well too considering it’s weight. But from this era the R34 skyline was the real hero.

Back
Top Bottom