Show Us Your Motors!

Ah right, so now we're getting personal :rolleyes:.

Well I'd love to be personal back but I must treat carefully it seems.

I did actually genuinely think you were older than your mid-20s, I really, really did.

I can appreciate the consternation when people think you are older than you are as it happens to me all the time too :(

Maybe it's the photos, but it really doesn't do anything for me.
It just looks like another 3 Series M Sport, of which there are many.

Sure, I know it's a 335i due to the tailpipes, but it just looks so boring :(

It is a lovely car though, glad you found one with the spec you're happy with.
Random spec with the rear blind but no heated seats or bluetooth though!

I did actually genuinely think you were older than your mid-20s, I really, really did.

I can appreciate the consternation when people think you are older than you are as it happens to me all the time too :(

You didn't say older than mid-20s though, did you funnyman, you said 50s.

Anyway what's with all the Golf hate? You used to drive a 2.0 diesel Golf. Difference is I don't even drive mine.

I suspect the £800 per wheel price tag may be prohibitive.....

£3,200 for some alloys !!! You have got to be crazy!

Why is it acceptable that someone would spend over £3k on some alloys when the car has some wheels already under the heading "I want them". but when I merely mention that I want parking sensors on my Yaris for £400, I get slated for it and that idea is apaprently absurd. Yes, the Yaris is a small car. Yes, parking sensors isn't a necessity. but at least the parking sensors actually add practical use to the car where as new alloys doesn't.

What if I sweep it under the same heading "I want them"? Would that be justifiable?

You didn't say older than mid-20s though, did you funnyman, you said 50s.

Anyway what's with all the Golf hate? You used to drive a 2.0 diesel Golf. Difference is I don't even drive mine.

Woah, doing your research I see :D

Company car, over which I exercised all of my absolutely zero choice! Cost me £17,069 less than yours cost you too. What a ripoff!

Why is it acceptable that someone would spend over £3k on some alloys when the car has some wheels already under the heading "I want them". but when I merely mention that I want parking sensors on my Yaris for £400, I get slated for it and that idea is apaprently absurd. Yes, the Yaris is a small car. Yes, parking sensors isn't a necessity. but at least the parking sensors actually add practical use to the car where as new alloys doesn't.

What if I sweep it under the same heading "I want them"? Would that be justifiable?

Your parking sensors are not BBS LMs.

Plus your Yaris would look silly on BBS LMs.

Car looks nice Fox, I look forward to seeing it in the metal ...my favourite interior colour combination, pretty rare on 3 series though ..even 5s now ...although lives on in the 7s.

DRZ, clearly I have missed a lot of what has happened here over the months, so it would seem you have purcahsed Jez's car, so what does he have now then ?

Car looks nice Fox, I look forward to seeing it in the metal ...my favourite interior colour combination, pretty rare on 3 series though ..even 5s now ...although lives on in the 7s.

DRZ, clearly I have missed a lot of what has happened here over the months, so it would seem you have purcahsed Jez's car, so what does he have now then ?

Amongst other things, some crappy SL500 or something?

Because a Yaris isn't hard to park :p

So it's ok to spend £3,000 purely to make the car LOOK nicer but its a taboo to spend ANY money to add a practical feature to the car?

Or are you guys saying you shouldn't spend any money on a small hatchback and only BMW?

I'm sorry but a Yaris does not need parking sensors, practical item or not, they do not need them, far too small a car to warrant the need...so it is very different from the alloys.

Woah, doing your research I see :D

Company car, over which I exercised all of my absolutely zero choice! Cost me £17,069 less than yours cost you too. What a ripoff!

Congratulations, you're the first man to pay nothing for a company car! Please, explain to the rest of us how you managed it?! Please also stop sending me emails through trust, thanks.

So it's ok to spend £3,000 purely to make the car LOOK nicer but its a taboo to spend ANY money to add a practical feature to the car?

Or are you guys saying you shouldn't spend any money on a small hatchback and only BMW?

If you've got the money then why not. It's your money and you can do what you want with it. Adding parking sensors onto a Yaris is ridiculous though as i've said, a Yaris is not hard to park.

I think everyone on this forum has learnt to drive without the use of assists of some kind and I don't agree that cars are now getting so much technology thrown at them where the cars practically drive themselves and they are turning the 'drivers' into lazy people and may be a bit more careless on the road.

You guys totally missed my point.

I agree that the Yaris does not need parking sensors.

But the consensus is that it is acceptable to buy something because one wants them because they make the car look good. It's not like the 335i didn't come with why alloys. His car can run fine with the same wheels, same as I can park fine without parking sensors.

My point is that what if I say, I want them for that 4 little dot on the bumper?

Fox will probably get new wheels at some point as he has stated that he hates these ones. However, what real PRACTICAL use does it add to the car? In terms of functions, is it money well spent? He might not spend £3k on new alloys, but I am sure they will cost more than the cost of parking sensors surely (£400).

That's the point I am making. This forum seems like a massive pendulum on logic. It is not logical surely to spend £3k on some wheels when a car already has them. But it's okay because they look good. It is however a waste of money to spend £400 oparking sensors. In reality, I can probably get more use out of parking sensors than him with new wheels, and at a fraction of the cost.

Where is the logic in that? I mean if you are saying it's okay to buy them because he wants them then what if I put parking sensors under the same heading?

How does one justify one and not the other?

P.s. Before you go on about me getting parking sensors, I am not getting them, I am purely using it as an example on the confusion logic that is observed here.

Having a nice car makes you happier. Fitting nice alloys will make your car nicer (to you). Being happy makes you a more productive person and increases your quality of life. This in turn will probably result in greater earning potential, and just more happiness in general. Aesthetics aren't always purely aesthetic only. They often have knock on effects.

Parking sensors on a Yaris is daft. For work I drive a big van, with no back windows and big bumper destroying steps on the back. I don't have parking sensors, nor do I need them (though I admit, I would quite like them!) If a big van with limited visibility (withstanding the big wind-shield) then a tiny car like a Yaris doesn't.

Maybe it's the photos, but it really doesn't do anything for me.
It just looks like another 3 Series M Sport, of which there are many.

Sure, I know it's a 335i due to the tailpipes, but it just looks so boring :(

I hear you. To be honest, it's part of the appeal. I like the fact it's just a normal 3 Series. It has normal 3 Series running costs. It has normal 3 Series repair costs. It looks like a normal 3 Series. I am not a extrovert and do not want a hugely OTT showy car.

It is a lovely car though, glad you found one with the spec you're happy with.
Random spec with the rear blind but no heated seats or bluetooth though!

I honestly think the random spec is the best thing about it. If it had all the spec then:

a) It would have been more than I wanted to pay or much older
b) It would likely not have had CIC nav - all the high spec 58 plate cars seem to have the old iDrive, presumably as they were sold from stock rather than built to order.

I completely agree. I am not going to spend £3200 on alloys, ever. I like the BBS LM but I absolutely will not spend 3 grand on wheels, its completely stupid.

New wheels are a priority though, or at the very least new tyres, because the current setup ruins the car.

Last edited:
Having a nice car makes you happier. Fitting nice alloys will make your car nicer (to you). Being happy makes you a more productive person and increases your quality of life. This in turn will probably result in greater earning potential, and just more happiness in general. Aesthetics aren't always purely aesthetic only. They often have knock on effects.

Parking sensors on a Yaris is daft. For work I drive a big van, with no back windows and big bumper destroying steps on the back. I don't have parking sensors, nor do I need them (though I admit, I would quite like them!) If a big van with limited visibility (withstanding the big wind-shield) then a tiny car like a Yaris doesn't.

What if I say having parking sensors makes me happier, it gives me confidence in parking, it provides me with at safety net that I need, and in return I get less stress and as a result I am more calm and in return my work improves and earning potential increases?

Back
Top Bottom