*Show us your pet reptiles.....*

Associate
Ahh that sucks danny hows he doing now?

Ive had to get rid of rex (my friends beardie i had off him) nothing wrong with rex himself but i just coukdnt cope with the cricket noise as he is in the bedroom next to mine so i can here them at night and im a light sleeper so makes it really hard for me to nod off lol.

On another note i may be getting a red tail boa a friends brother is getting rid of some of his collection as hes moved into a smaller house and im debating wether to take the boa off his hands.

He's crammed in a corner looking sorry for himself, he's not allowed any decoration so I've just put a towel over half the glass. That said, not sorry enough to put him off his food, was a bit worried about that after the anaesthetic. I'm going to hell for occasionally chuckling at the two bits of thread dragging behind him. :o

That sucks about the beardie, you could have shoved them in the fridge. It slows them right down and they don't chirp. I use the same trick for old lizards that aren't bothered with moving much any more. I know the feeling of tearing the house apart at 2am to find that one escaped chirping cricket though, it's hell on earth. :D

Soldato
My latest addition which I picked up at the weekend. I think it's a girl :)

image2%203_zps5c1wqmb3.jpg

image1_zpshz9l2al0.jpg

Despite thinking it might be female, I have called her G'Kar.

She's only 4 weeks old, but doing very well for age. Lovely personality - One of the few reptiles capable of making a connection with people. I hope she stops weeing on me soon though :D

Associate

She's only 4 weeks old, but doing very well for age. Lovely personality - One of the few reptiles capable of making a connection with people. I hope she stops weeing on me soon though :D

Awesome looking skink, any meaning to the name? You have it lucky with the pee, my first meeting with one involved it deftly (surprisingly so, for a skink) vomiting into my pocket. :D

Soldato
Google "Babylon 5 G'Kar" and you will see why ;)

I got poo'd on as well at the same time when I picked her up. And she had been on cat food..... It was.....pungent. But she was by far the nicest looking of them all so I didn't let that put me off :D

Associate
Google "Babylon 5 G'Kar" and you will see why ;)

I got poo'd on as well at the same time when I picked her up. And she had been on cat food..... It was.....pungent. But she was by far the nicest looking of them all so I didn't let that put me off :D

Got it now, very fitting! Keep bribing her with food and she'll stop in no time, I'd think. I've never owned one but the few I've looked after have been 'follow you round the house' kind of lizards.

In other news I met a seriously angsty leopard gecko today. In years of reptile keeping I've never met a 'bad' leo but this guy had the heart of a komodo, had him hanging off my finger in seconds. Should have listened to the owner. :D

Associate
Made Monty a shedding box with and old lunch box and some live moss after him never having a clean shed. And he loves it. He spends most of his time in there when i put it in. Here is his first full shed.

Last edited:
Associate
Just wondering, do any of you use backdrops in your vivs? as i want to make monty's tank look a bit more interesting as their isn't much going on past half way up in his viv. Also it would help hide the wires.
Looking for some thing a bit sub Saharan as that's his natural habitat.

Soldato
I've been considering getting a snake. Always been fascinated by them ever since I was a kid and was very close to getting a Cali King Snake in my younger years but it never materialised.

I've owned many 'my first snake' books and have always read about the species I like yet I'm too worried to make that final plunge.

Anyone on here have any experience with Brazilian or Colombian Rainbow Boas? They're so beautiful but don't know if it's too much snake for a novice.

Associate
I've been considering getting a snake. Always been fascinated by them ever since I was a kid and was very close to getting a Cali King Snake in my younger years but it never materialised.

I've owned many 'my first snake' books and have always read about the species I like yet I'm too worried to make that final plunge.

Anyone on here have any experience with Brazilian or Colombian Rainbow Boas? They're so beautiful but don't know if it's too much snake for a novice.

I've never had one (this is my first snake) but from looking at it as long as you handle them regularly from young so they are tame they don't seem much different from my python. Just remember that they live for about 25 years any would anyone you know be willing to care for it if you are away for any reason?

If yes i fully recommend getting one. Would like a larger one, but with a child on the way buying more snake stuff is a bit down the line. Although i do still have a small viv and parts for it.

Soldato
Does anyone have any good sites/forums that would give a detailed guide on having a snake as a pet?
I've always really liked the idea, but I'd want to know exactly what was needed from me, along with all other essential information, equipment, etc...
I don't know anyone who keeps any reptiles unfortunately.

Associate

image2%203_zps5c1wqmb3.jpg

image1_zpshz9l2al0.jpg

Skinks are awesome!

We have a fully grown blue tongue skink.

You do know that they are really hard to sex though, only true way or so I'm told is via x-ray. You can probe them like snakes as well, but it isn't supposed to be as reliable. The only other way is to put it in a viv with another one. If they fight, chances are its two males. If they don't, its either two females or a male and female.

The biggest problem most people don't realise when they get them as babies, is that once fully grown they really need to be in a 5 foot viv. A 4 foot one would suffice if they get out of the viv for exercise on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've never had one (this is my first snake) but from looking at it as long as you handle them regularly from young so they are tame they don't seem much different from my python. Just remember that they live for about 25 years any would anyone you know be willing to care for it if you are away for any reason?

Well I used to handle corn/milk snakes quite a lot at the local reptile shop (I used to help out there just to hold the snakes) so handling isn't an issue. Neither is their life span as once we eventually buy our home I've finally swayed the Boss into letting me get an African grey parrot and they live for about 50 :eek:

Only thing which I may find difficult is the humidity but that's something I'd get used to quite quickly. Nothing a hidey hole can't fix either.:D

Associate
Does anyone have any good sites/forums that would give a detailed guide on having a snake as a pet?
I've always really liked the idea, but I'd want to know exactly what was needed from me, along with all other essential information, equipment, etc...
I don't know anyone who keeps any reptiles unfortunately.

Only active forum i could find was Reptile Forum and as the name would suggest they talk about all reptiles. If you just google the type you'd like and put care sheet after it it will let you know what you'll need.
Basic set-up would be a Viv, Heat mat/ceramic bulb with thermostat, couple of hides, some substrate, water bowl and some thermometers and Hygrometer.
Try and find a local supplier as i'm sure they'd talk you through what you need. Don't bother with pets at home, i wasn't impressed with their advice when i was buying my snake.

Only thing which I may find difficult is the humidity but that's something I'd get used to quite quickly. Nothing a hidey hole can't fix either.:D

I struggled with that at first, and solved it buy putting the water bowl closer to the heat mat.

Soldato
Cheers for that. I did some quick Googling, but am never sure if the articles are worth reading.
Will have a look at that forum, it's always good to get opinions/experiences of people who are experienced!

Back
Top Bottom