Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Caporegime
the current big argument in coffee has been kicked off by this:
https://www.cell.com/matter/fulltext/S2590-2385(19)30410-2

More accessible articles here: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...ts-learn-weve-been-brewing-espresso-all-wrong & https://www.smh.com.au/national/int...ng-your-coffee-all-wrong-20200122-p53trn.html

The idea seems to be that with lower pressure, lower dosing and coarser grind you can get better 'espresso'. This causes a bit of an issue with the definition of espresso as the Istituto Nazionale Espresso Italiano, Italy’s national espresso institute, only certifies espresso as something brewed at 9-10 bar pressure. Theres also an argument to say that part of the flavour of espresso is the over and under-extraction you get in the show (I think thats where you get the tiger stripes from).

So - anyone with an adjustable pressure machine given this a go, or want to?
Initial reaction is one of "That's just turning an espresso machine into an overpriced drip filter, surely?"

Soldato
So now my grinder has broke (the button has fell off, and inside the machine) and I could probably fix it. Currently I'm just jabbing the button.

But is it possible to get a decent grinder for less than a £100. I've seen the Sage Smart Grinder pop up for about this now and then.

Currently using this;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Krups-GVX2...eywords=coffee+grinder&qid=1580200540&sr=8-18
I'm not sure how that Krups is regarded but I have a Bodum Bistro which does the job for me on a budget. Picked it up maybe 5 years ago though so not sure if it's been superseded - at the time it seemed to be the only sub-£100 metal burr grinder.

Edit: Looks like there's slightly more choice now. I like the Bodum as its continuously adjustable.

Soldato
So now my grinder has broke (the button has fell off, and inside the machine) and I could probably fix it. Currently I'm just jabbing the button.

But is it possible to get a decent grinder for less than a £100. I've seen the Sage Smart Grinder pop up for about this now and then.

If you can stretch your budget to exactly £100:

https://www.wilfa.co.uk/product/kitchen/black-aroma/

Soldato
Been thinking about swapping out my nespresso machine for a sage bambino plus, are these any good?
need to get a grinder too, but as successor to (discussed) reputable duo pro .. duo pro xsitems £140 or bambino £200 tough call ..
some versions apparently have regular non-pressurised baskets, suggests hotuk, can get an after market though

Associate
So it would be best to make sure it had the pressurised baskets? Or get somewhere else. Are there any grinders you recommend. Is there a taste difference between buying ground and freshly grinding yourself?

Soldato
So it would be best to make sure it had the pressurised baskets? Or get somewhere else. Are there any grinders you recommend. Is there a taste difference between buying ground and freshly grinding yourself?

I can answer that question. Absolutely there is a taste difference. Ground coffee goes stale in a matter of minutes & when I started grinding coffee myself roughly 8 years ago I could tell straight away. Grinder? Depends on how much you want to spend. Some people spend more on a Coffee grinder than they do an espresso machine. I did a bit of research & bought a Eureka Mignon Mk2 which is no longer made, but Eureka have since expanded the range & the basic model is less than £200. I've owned mine for over 3 years now, I use it everyday & it does the job.

More about the basic model here.

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/eure...MIidK3o6yu5wIVDbDtCh1d0wViEAQYASABEgI8i_D_BwE

Soldato
but Eureka have since expanded the range & the basic model is less than £200
didn't know that - interesting .. only Henry ford colouring - i'd made a mental note for yellow or red.

So it would be best to make sure it had the pressurised baskets? Or get somewhere else
baskets are not so expensive, but it seems the predecessor/DTP had them by default - the xsitems machines on ebay <£125 are interesting (someome here had bought one), can always return it under paypal

Associate
I can see that does make sense if you think about it. Beans will be releasing the flavour soons there ground then there packed and sitting in the shop till you buy and then use.
Ive had a look on that xsitems, has a few folk been happy enough with there stuff? The bambino is going for 160 at the moment and the duo temo 180 as mentioned above both refurbished.

Man of Honour
James Hoffmann (2007 World Barista Champion and co-founder of Square Mile Coffee) has a video out about the scientific espresso.

Warning! Contains science!

Man of Honour
I'm avoiding this in my feed because there's too much YouTube backlog... Can you summarise, I'm sceptical :p

Watching it now.

[edit]

He replicated the results at Square Mile.

Best shots he had were perfectly complex, not lacking as espresso, not incredible texture, but not bad. Enjoyable espresso.

Needs a barista who can taste and tune the espresso to be the most delicious.

He prefers stronger a tasting espresso.
Saw more uniform flow at 6 bar. But did not achieve perfectly uniform flow.
Did science reinvent the espresso? Maybe...

Last edited:
Soldato
yes the video was man-splaining at its apogee; everyone, with a grinder knows what happens if its too fine and chugs.
The emphasis on disolvable solids, as an indication of quality surprised me, I'd expected they might have used gas chromotography to look at the aroma/flavour

Associate
New coffee machine, any other Rocket users on here?

rocket.jpg

Soldato
is it a copper (are they really copper) one, since the BB sale were those ones - and the accompanying grinder is ?

after inspecting the hx brewhead recently - I am wondering how the descaler gets to attack any of the pipes from the 3-way solenoid to brewhead,
these aren't full of water after making a brew so the descaler fluid never sits in them, equally,
backflush removes coffe residue from them, but not calcium carbonate afaik

Back
Top Bottom