Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Almost nothing perhaps, but certainly something.
Like I say, the first time I went this fine it blinded the machine and nothing would pass. On a couple of attempts it leaked from the group head gasket.
Now I’m just doing a light tamp and getting no channelling and consistent 30ish second shots.
As an aside, the bottomless portafilter is so satisfying to use when there’s no puck prep issues.

I've found myself wanting to ditch my delonghi and order one of these when they drop

I appreciate they don't meet the level that some of you pros like but it looks good to me!

What parts are harder to clean than a traditional machine?
Rushed answer as it is late, but how does one access the grinder burrs for cleaning maintenance? This is the prime reason I moved away from my Bean to Cup D'Longhi which sits at my mothers place now. How does it 'automatically' come up with a recommended grind for xxx beans? My D'Longhi used volumetric shot dosing and it was (still is) incredibly inaccurate.

Espresso requires a very fine grind and this is where a lot of machines (including my D'Longhi) really fell short - it's grinder. It's shots were 'ok'. My current setup of a Sette 270 (the burr just unscrews for cleaning) and a Bambino+ is in a different league.

To me the Ninja looks like a cheaper Sage Oracle. Don't get me wrong, I love Ninja products as I have a few but they are awful from a maintenance perspective. Being Ninja I am sure there will be a ton of folks defending it but I suppose we need to see how much it'll go for in the Uk firstly.

Rushed answer as it is late, but how does one access the grinder burrs for cleaning maintenance? This is the prime reason I moved away from my Bean to Cup D'Longhi which sits at my mothers place now. How does it 'automatically' come up with a recommended grind for xxx beans? My D'Longhi used volumetric shot dosing and it was (still is) incredibly inaccurate.

Espresso requires a very fine grind and this is where a lot of machines (including my D'Longhi) really fell short - it's grinder. It's shots were 'ok'. My current setup of a Sette 270 (the burr just unscrews for cleaning) and a Bambino+ is in a different league.

To me the Ninja looks like a cheaper Sage Oracle. Don't get me wrong, I love Ninja products as I have a few but they are awful from a maintenance perspective. Being Ninja I am sure there will be a ton of folks defending it but I suppose we need to see how much it'll go for in the Uk firstly.

Cheers for detailed reply. I think I'm probably less fussy than most. With the grinder on my delonghi bean to cup I tend to just brush it occasionally but not go much beyond that. Other than that I descale it regularly and strip the the little mesh filter thing out and clean that part.

Regarding the ninja, yeah I have no idea how it does its calculations on things. I likely fell for it's marketing :)

I like my ninja air fryer and my shark vacuum cleaner so I'm probably a fanboy lol

I suppose it depends on how fussy you are about your espresso shot. With my Bean to Cup I always felt I wasn't getting the best out of my favourite beans (Monsoon Malabar), which were expensive. I wanted much more control over the grind. Like yourself I used a brush too but I couldn't remove the oils and gunk that had built up down there.

Ninja certainly do their marketing well and that video smacks of it by the bucketload. Making a good espresso is a messy business at at 3mins for example you can see a fast edit where excess grinds in the portafilter are present and suddenly gone the next. I've got a Ninja Air Fryer and the Sideways toaster thingy. The other day I decided to look inside and upwards into the fan area of my air fryer...wish I hadn't as I've no idea how I can clean that!

Bought a bellow for my Sette 270 from Alibaabaa. There are occassions when grind retention makes me whack the side of the machine. I want to avoid that :)

CBCqJVR.jpg

It arrived! Done a quick marker test first to check alignment. It's not perfect but also not worth pulling apart for such a minor correction.

It's also the new V2 model which I was dubious would get as there's very little info out about it yet. The exit chute is now a single piece and it has an ioniser included.

Took 4 shots to get dialled in, minimal mess with no RDT, it does have quite a harsh screeching sound when grinding but it's livable.

More than happy with the results, much better than the Barista Express internal burrs.

Just done a a side by side tasting of the stock BE grinder Vs DF64V. I knew there would be a difference but did not expect as big a difference as this.

Both shots were pulled as close as possible - 18.5g in, 42g out over 32 seconds.

The DF came across with slightly less texture but a massive jump in sweetness and no lingering aftertaste. It was much closer to what I get off my 1zpresso X-Pro in taste profile. Sipping the sage afterwards was a punch in the face with bitterness and a very strong body with an bitter aftertaste that lingered for quite some time.

Short of upgrading the burrs with SSPs I don't see myself ever needing to change away from this grinder.

Just done a a side by side tasting of the stock BE grinder Vs DF64V. I knew there would be a difference but did not expect as big a difference as this.

Both shots were pulled as close as possible - 18.5g in, 42g out over 32 seconds.

The DF came across with slightly less texture but a massive jump in sweetness and no lingering aftertaste. It was much closer to what I get off my 1zpresso X-Pro in taste profile. Sipping the sage afterwards was a punch in the face with bitterness and a very strong body with an bitter aftertaste that lingered for quite some time.

Short of upgrading the burrs with SSPs I don't see myself ever needing to change away from this grinder.

Glad you’re happy with your purchase! In some ways I think I should have gone basic initially rather than spoiling myself with a Niche from the get go.

Enjoy playing with it :D

Back
Top Bottom