Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
Variable speed drill, not doing it faster than I would by hand, just saving the arm haha
It's a common thing people do with the Hario mini mill. Either using a drill or electric screwdriver, low speed but as you say, saves your arms. Obviously, if you can then get a proper electric burr grinder but as a stop gap and provided you keep it at a low speed there is no issue with doing what you're doing really.

Associate
Picked up a 2nd hand super jolly this week. Ordered some beans from Hasbean on Thursday (RM 1st) which came today, pretty incredible really. 1st pull wasn't too far off tbf, just eyeballed the grind setting after having stripped the SJ down to clean and reassemble. Also been out of the coffee 'game' for quite some time now. Seems really easy to work on and maintain, can see why they're used so much in industry. Looking forward to using it and damn, that Hasbean Finca Licho still hits the spot hehe :D

Soldato
If you want a coffee that genuinely has flavours then any of the roasters mentioned by people previously will be immensely better than anything available in a supermarket. If you just want some "cheap, not bitter black stuff" then supermarket lighter roasts are where you should be putting your money, but with the equipment you have you should be taking full advantage and buying proper beans not mass produced "meh" beans.

Soldato
I have been buying cheap supermarket beans for about a year now, when my Niche arrive I might get a bag from Square Mile to see if it is worth it...with the single dose workflow I can even taste test them side by side.

If you're shelling out for a Niche, definitely start getting some fresh roasted beans!

I'm still trying places out to find my favourite. I've ended up with just decaf and single origin at the moment, so just ordered a couple of blends from Origin, good price at 12 quid delivered for 2x250g.

Caporegime
If you're shelling out for a Niche, definitely start getting some fresh roasted beans!

I'm still trying places out to find my favourite. I've ended up with just decaf and single origin at the moment, so just ordered a couple of blends from Origin, good price at 12 quid delivered for 2x250g.

I am going to get a few bags along with some of my regular supermarket ones and do a side by side testing to see if i actually can appreciate the difference.

Soldato
I am going to get a few bags along with some of my regular supermarket ones and do a side by side testing to see if i actually can appreciate the difference.

Supermarket beans to a decent fresh roastery bean....it's like cheap OK wine versus a good bottle. It tastes fine. But then you have a good one and there is a depth and complexity to the flavour that you don't get with cheaper options. I had a Lavazza this morning, it's a decent enough espresso, but it's flat and one-dimensional, just kinda boring.

Soldato
Some of the supermarket beans have been sufficiently fresh roasted , theyr'e still off-gassing when you get them home, if anything,
they can be ready to drink too, versus Rave where, I'd have to restrain myself from wasting coffee, prematurely.

I'd be intrigued to see how deceptive the heavy water decaf's are ... and to what degree caffeine impact can be pscychosematic,
... no espresso at work, but stopped drinking leaded filter, as that was too heavy hitting.

Soldato
What's heavy water decaf? Do you mean Swiss water or something else?

There's definitely a psychosomatic side for me. If I have an espresso, even if it's decaf the intensity of flavour is pushing my buttons so my mind thinks I've had a coffee. Whereas if I have a longer drink I'll enjoy some coffee flavour but won't be fooled.

Soldato
When I first got the Mara I overdid the caffeine a couple of times, got the jitters...not a nice feeling. I stick to decaf in the afternoons now :)

I've got a bag of the Swiss Water Guatamala from Rave that I've been trying out. It's too sour for espresso, tried all sorts of brews. So so filter too, not very impressed with it. Their Colombian Seasonal Decaf is much better though, still got a sharp start but a good espresso macchiato, needs just a touch of milk to take the edge off.

The Mexican La Laja Decaf from 47 Degrees is the best decaf I've had so far.

Caporegime
Supermarket beans to a decent fresh roastery bean....it's like cheap OK wine versus a good bottle. It tastes fine. But then you have a good one and there is a depth and complexity to the flavour that you don't get with cheaper options. I had a Lavazza this morning, it's a decent enough espresso, but it's flat and one-dimensional, just kinda boring.

For me the difference is huge, so much I don't even like store bought coffee now. And I won't have an espresso anywhere except at home, and will only have milk based coffees when out now.

Associate
I'm very luck to have these guys next to me. just love their coffee, it so handy nipping round to the office for a bag or two, and you never know what they let you taste when you there

Soldato
Supermarket coffee quality has improved I'd say , google throws up that my ref'd Aldi coffee, packed in Ireland, probaly originated from folks, with similar pedigree to hasbean/rave https://www.shelflife.ie/category-focus-bowled-over-by-breakfast/

Following the ‘Grow with Aldi’ promotion, Velo Coffee Roasters, along with four other Irish producers, was given a one-year full listing with Aldi which began in January 2019, supporting the expansion to the purpose-built roasting and packing facility.

Welcoming the Aldi listing and his business expansion, Rob Horgan from Velo Coffee Roasters praises the retailer’s approach. “The support and mentoring offered by Grow with Aldi has already benefitted our business immensely,” he says, “and we are excited to see our product made available to Aldi shoppers across the country. We believe we offer something truly unique and are thankful to Aldi for giving us the opportunity to share it.”

Velo Coffee Roasters visited a number of green bean merchants before selecting its preferred supplier based on the quality, provenance and traceability of its bean and passion for great coffee.

Soldato
Hey, So,
I've got my Gaggia now, ordered a backflushing plate and some cleaner.
Is there any good guides or advice on what cleaning/maintenance I should do every cup/day/week?

there's wiping the milk frother, run a bit of steam through it etc.
But just want to make sure I'm not leaving something to get clogged etc

Soldato
with bidaily use, I backflush probably every 3 weeks;
just a flat teaspoon - after running pump, I leave pf engaged and let it soak for 10minutes, before removing/cleaning,
and backflushing with just water to clean out residue, then pull some water through with normal filter

Soldato
I can't wait until my house sale goes through and I can put a water softener in, makes me die a little inside every time I buy a plastic bottle of Ashbeck.

Back
Top Bottom