Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
nothings that 'economic' - I use 1litre a day with ~ 4doubles and cooling shots in an HX machine,
one day I'll try the bottled water, or top it up from the Britta I use for tea, but for the moment just do regular descales.

Associate
I have the basic Delonghi pump espresso coffee machine for a number of years now and it is starting to show signs of failing. Can you recommend me a coffee machine I can't buy where I would be able to notice a difference?

Last edited:
Associate
Hi All,

So after my initial posts and using my mocha pot a lot, i finally jumped on board and brought a Barrista Express on the early black Friday deals @ £400 (minus a £50 voucher i had - thanks quotemehappy).

I'm just in the process of dialing in, with the Lavazza Rosso beans. So far, its been pretty tricky. Has anyone else used this combo?

I'm already on the finest grind, with a bean weight of 16g (double). Anything more then 16g just spills everywhere. I've resorted to grinding into a separate cup and spooning in (might be a way to add more beans -yet to try).

Having found a number of guides on ratio, seconds and weight it all seems to go on trial and error. I'm aiming for a ratio of about 1:3 (just my preference) with the standard target time of 20-30 secs, it has been pretty difficult to get. I wonder if im not tampering hard enough

Is it normal to be using such a fine grind amount almost instantly? Be great to here if anyone else has used these beans with this machine.

Thanks
I’m in the market for a machine - looking at most places the one you picked up was very cheap? I think they’re at 550 now? Hoping they come down again in Black Friday. Our budget is around 4/450. Any others I should look out for in the sales?

Soldato
SAGE OFFERS
I thought there were still deals on the older models, and the pro model w/o the grinder at circa £200, or, ebay seller too, *express, who offer good deals too.
Sage themselves had/have an online reduction at their shop.

Open heart surgery on th HX, coffee withdrawal symptoms of two days focusses the mind for diy repairs.

symptoms- basically power light came on, and nothing else, total lock-out -
I'm still not sure I identified the cause, but, classically, after re-assembly seems to work.

- there is a mechanical relay for boiler, did some cleaning on blackened terminals, some folks recommend replacing by a SSR, which I guess new machines have ?
- tapped the two other relays, no physical signs of damage though
- shorted both boiler depth level and reservoir level sensors & toggled thermal reset, in case they were causing a lock-out.
couldn't find maintenance manual or wiring guide on internet (bezzera bz02).
when water level is low, it has always made a buzzing noise and flashes lights, which always seemed strange, since, other than relays, no transducers. ?

Those bloody plastic shielded spade connectors are always a pain to get off w/o damaging plastic (same as for car) ..... whats the secret ?

documented parts so I can look at replacements.
50615852203_8f05f8d319_o_d.jpg

Soldato
I’m in the market for a machine - looking at most places the one you picked up was very cheap? I think they’re at 550 now? Hoping they come down again in Black Friday. Our budget is around 4/450. Any others I should look out for in the sales?

I managed to grab one at Amazon on early black Friday deals. It wouldn't surprise me if they pop up again - so keep a look out :)

Soldato
I'm still not sure I identified the cause, but, classically, after re-assembly seems to work.

- there is a mechanical relay for boiler, did some cleaning on blackened terminals, some folks recommend replacing by a SSR, which I guess new machines have ?

Got to love it when things start working again after a simple strip and rebuild! When I fitted the PID kit to my Gaggia, it came with SSRs to control the temperature. I guess they're probably a bit more reliable in a relatively high temperature/vibration environment.

Soldato
Got to love it when things start working again after a simple strip
the jubilation didn't last long
There is no god ...
You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you? You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did

more googling & multimeter shows that the myrra 12v transformer, isn't delivering,
known failure mode due to proximity to boiler, over years, and starts cutting out after heat exposure
... don't have a freezing spray to prove conclusively, frozen pork pie didn't get it working

Hello ebay ... who cares about just eat ... I need just electronics.

Associate
has anyone here regretted buying a coffee machine, because once they got it dialed in and were make coffee the way they like it at home, they found that any bought coffee drink tasted awful ??

Man of Honour
OP
has anyone here regretted buying a coffee machine, because once they got it dialed in and were make coffee the way they like it at home, they found that any bought coffee drink tasted awful ??
:D its a curse, although there are some decent places around now, but it does ruin starbucks etc (not that it wasn't ruined already). I tend(ed) to drink tea and chai in chain shops outside emergencies.

Soldato
Once I got my aeropress I hated buying coffee out as it was no where near as good. Every now and again you can find a decent independent coffee shop though.

Soldato

Yep, although it has saved me money as it means I don't drink coffee out anywhere near as much now!

Soldato
So time has come, I'm willing to dive into some other coffee beans from HasBean etc.

Any recommendations on beans for primarily Latte's / cappuccino? I usually make my other half something to take work (the latte), but I usually have something a little less milky (flat white equivalent).

Caporegime
So my grinder died this morning. It was a deholngi thing, but it worked well for me. I could do the same again (£45), but I think I should upgrade? It seems the only logical upgrade is the Encore at £130ish. Anything else I should consider?

Back
Top Bottom