Sim racers - what are you running?

Soldato
I was fairly lucky with Trak Racer and stock when getting my setup, but did phone them to check on a couple of bits and swap out parts I ordered when the lead times were too long.

Regarding Fanatec, I couldn't bring myself to go into their ecosphere, too much negative/meh talk out there about them. I did start off with buying a VNM shifter and handbrake, but they are currently sitting on my desk doing nothing. I ended up going fully Simagic, which is all also still sitting there not doing anything! Have been too busy with work and other things to get building. I have everything I need, just not the time or wil at present!

I needed PS5 compatibility so you're literally limited to Logitech or Fanatec for now :(

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm assuming main issue with TR is waiting times?
The EU/UK operations and warehouse are a complete shambles. Wait times are terrible for things that are not immediately in stock. However, the issue comes when you have to involve customer service for ANYTHING! Their CS department is so poor that it wouldnt make a difference if they didnt have one at all... From my experience nothing happens unless Matt Sten (the owner) is involved and even then its next to useless.
Personally the only time I will buy TR is if an independent shop/reseller has confirmed physical stock in their warehouse. TR stuff is generally pretty decent as well which is why its so frustrating.

Associate
I have to say, on the main occasion where I had to call them to check on an order, I got a guy on the phone at TR who was extremely helpful, patient and professional. He swapped out a couple of parts for me, confirmed lead times etc. quickly and I was very happy.

However, there were occasions prior to that this year where I couldn't get anyone to pick up the phone and responses to tickets could be a tad slow/non-existent.

Soldato
ED3-DC385-2424-4-D18-A4-F3-DCCFC84-E38-BF.jpg
I'll keep you all posted, it's showing in stock so hopefully will ship next week.

In the interim my Sparco seat and seat runners have arrived. :D

Associate
Been a busy week off for me, decided to spring clean my 'shed/man cave/place she don't bother me'. Stripped the rig down and decided to move things around (only way I'll clean anything proper) ended up getting involved in cable management, looked terrible so it's a definite improvement. Haven't quite finished tidying the rest of the room up yet, testing to make sure the rig is back together and working right is a priority..

Anyway I found one of the roller switches on the Fanatec clubsport F1 wheel wobbling around in it's socket. Decided to strip it apart as it felt like a bush or something similar had failed. It was still working, but I don't like 'floppy knobs' :p. Aaaanywho, was pleasantly surprised to find nothing was worn or needed replacing, was a loose locknut!

20240309-125329.jpg

20240309-125338.jpg

That was the offending item, nipped it up, all good.

20240309-133909.jpg

Gave the grips a wash and clean up, didn't come up too bad. Best thing was a few screws were a tad loose, everything tightened up and it no longer creaks or rattles, feels so much nicer and less of a toy.

20240309-173105.jpg

Back on the rig and all good. Feels a lot tighter.

20240309-172954.jpg

Just need to finish the rest of the room, tidy up etc. Really pleased with the Fanatec kit, this is the first time it's been faulty, I've had it since Nov '19. Been tempted to upgrade the wheels and base (It's the only thing I haven't upgraded) the simagic stuff is definitely tempting me :D

Associate
I really need to get a better seat to replace my current TrakRacer one. It really isn't that comfortable for longer races/sessions.

Also, I've ordered myself some adapters (From Etsy) that'll allow me to install those Simagic Haptic Reactors to my Asetek Invicta pedals. I'll probably get one for the brake pedal first to see how I get on with it.

Soldato
Hi all which do you think is the better buy for entry level direct drive?

Moza R5 bundle circa £480. 5.5 Nm wheel base, ES wheel and SRP-lite pedals. But I believe the pedals aren't direct PC plug in so have to go through the wheelbase?

Moza R9 + ES wheel + SRP pedals (non lite version which I understand to be directly PC plug in). Total for these separate parts is around £675.

Fanatec ready 2 race bundle either 5Nm (£400) or 8Nm (£500) which comes with wheelbase, P1 V2 wheel and CSL pedals.

Or something else, eg Moza wheel base with different pedals?

I will be hoping to mount whatever I buy to a Playseat Challenge X logitech edition. So as far as Im aware that raises two issues - flex from more powerful DD wheelbases, and the mounting hole options.

Soldato
So far can't fault fanatec's service or trak racer!

Ordered the pedals from Fanatec (which said 4-7 days to ship) on Friday, got an email yesterday to advise order was with warehouse, got shipment email today.

Cockpit ordered from Trak Racer on Friday - Shipped out monday and due today. So far can't fault the service!

The GT Extreme bundle from fanatec has been delayed a further 3 days to 28th March, but I was aware of the delays with the DD+ bundle when I ordered.

Last edited:
Associate
So far can't fault fanatec's service or trak racer!

Ordered the pedals from Fanatec (which said 4-7 days to ship) on Friday, got an email yesterday to advise order was with warehouse, got shipment email today.

Cockpit ordered from Trak Racer on Friday - Shipped out monday and due today. So far can't fault the service!

The GT Extreme bundle from fanatec has been delayed a further 3 days to 28th March, but I was aware of the delays with the DD+ bundle when I ordered.
I too have only had decent service from Fanatec. My first order took a little while, but it was around Black Friday so I was expecting a lot worse. I think it took over a week to ship, but still not so bad. My second order arrived pretty quickly.

Only real problem I’ve found is that they massively over tighten all bolts, so removing them needs a very tight fitting good quality Allen key. I have some good ones from building RC cars so I’ve taken to tapping them in gently with a hammer first to make sure the fit was super tight. Obviously not a problem if you’re not removing bolts though!

Associate
OP
Hi all which do you think is the better buy for entry level direct drive?

Moza R5 bundle circa £480. 5.5 Nm wheel base, ES wheel and SRP-lite pedals. But I believe the pedals aren't direct PC plug in so have to go through the wheelbase?

Moza R9 + ES wheel + SRP pedals (non lite version which I understand to be directly PC plug in). Total for these separate parts is around £675.

Fanatec ready 2 race bundle either 5Nm (£400) or 8Nm (£500) which comes with wheelbase, P1 V2 wheel and CSL pedals.

Or something else, eg Moza wheel base with different pedals?

I will be hoping to mount whatever I buy to a Playseat Challenge X logitech edition. So as far as Im aware that raises two issues - flex from more powerful DD wheelbases, and the mounting hole options.
I'm going KS wheel and R12 base. Moving up from a Fanatec CSL PS4 and McLaren GT3 rim.

Associate
i see the Moza R5 bundle circa £480 on OCUK for pre-order, would it be much of a step up from my t300rs and tclm pedal set-up?. i'm 70 this year, with a reasonable pc, but feel dd is the one thing i am missing out on(or am i?), looking at that bundle for financial reasons so need advice from people with hands on experience, thank you.

Soldato
Cockpit arrived from Trak Racer yesterday. Got notified of import fee to pay for UPS for the pedals from fanatec which are due Friday, so a week turnaround from them is very good all things considered. Just the GT Extreme bundle to arrive plus the Monitor stand from GT omega both are on pre order so hopefully have them soon!

Back
Top Bottom