Sim racers - what are you running?

Soldato
totally forgot to do this, but gone from the setup as it stood in this post here from July last year to as it stands now.

Like many of us, my place of enjoyment is now also my place of employment...

Additions are:
  • updated my system from a 4th gen i7 & 1070Ti to a 3700X & RTX 2080 Super
  • got rid of the AKG/Modmic setup and went for a Steelseries Arctis Wireless Pro headset
  • Changed my Aego M speakers to a cheap soundbar which I would really like to replace for something that isn't totally crap
  • replaced my custom Ducky Mini for a new Ducky Mecha Mini
essentially made everything black and tidied up the cables. In terms of Sim racing related stuff, I added:
  • Fanatec Handbrake
  • Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Monitor
I'm planning on adding the Fanatec Clubsport shifter with Simlabs mounting plates for that and the handbrake as well as some Simlab side mounts to add some adjustment to the seating position.
Then I will replace the T300 wheelbase at some point.
Priority is to change my desk to something thats less Ikea.

sorry this is a bit of an info dump but I'm bored out of my mind.

jBR2gefl.jpg
KXIzvWjl.jpg
iKBKCz1l.jpg
Love this setup - probably the way I will go with the monitor swing arm to switch between the racing rig and desktop work.

Soldato
This is my setup at the moment, not the greatest picture but shows the wheel, and the PC and Monitor.

Aston Martin badge is being removed given who I work for ;)

3PRmcQm.jpg

Associate
Getting into sim racing, got a t500rs setup a few years ago. Only used it a bit but now using it loads more. Thinking of moving to the load cell thrustmaster pedal set asap. Only racing in iracing in the skippy's im slowish but enjoying it.
Some great setups on here but as long as its fun keep doing it whatever your running.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
If you're running on PC then I'd advise looking at the CSL elites over the TM setup. I'm running a TM base with the fanatec pedals and it's fine, just needs its own usb port.
The TM load cell looks ok but there is much more you can do with the layout on the CSL and there is no plastic on the setup either option would be a massive improvement. Loadcell is the best big purchase I've made so far.

Associate
I wouldn't go with the CSL pedals, they are famous for their potentiometers failing, also, their LC is in the pedal arm which is a terrible design. They may have better arrangement for pedal adjustment but i couldn't ignore their poor quality of potentiometer.

Soldato
Had a (the?) potentiometer issue recently on my CSL Elites - the potentiometer cogs are plastic and the pedal teeth are metal and they eat in to the plastic. You can take them out and turn them to an unused area and eventually get a replacement from Fanatec.

Apart from that they are good pedals.

Soldato
The potentiometer issues with the CSL's are the reason I went with the Clubsport V3's in the end. It might not have happened to me but why risk it. Though I do accept it's a decent chunk more to get the clubsports over the csl's.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
I mean, people aren't going to rampage towards the internet to say that the product they purchased is fully working as expected with no issues.
I've seen the return rates on various sim racing equipment when I used to PM that group at OcUK and unsurprisingly, the most popular products have the highest return rates.
The design could benefit from a metal cog of course but it is what it is. not exactly like the market is flooded with sub £300 LC pedal options.
if Bazippy has the T500RS already with the pedals, I'm sure I saw a loadcell mod for them too as an option?

In other news, the Buttkicker I got cheap off RD arrived and was basically brand new. super easy to install too.
I have ordered some cable management stuff from Demon Tweeks to tidy things up on my rig as its looking a bit messy now.

jHMeVp1l.jpeg
Buttkicker clamps onto the mount I made out of a spark plug socket and a spare 90 fitting I had left over from my rig. the mount doesnt touch the bottom of the seat, there is around 5mm of clearance

Lwrc03rl.jpeg
Remote is handy, would like a slicker way of mounting this though.

zrqXUeml.jpeg
the amp comes with a stand so I've been able to mount it vertically under my pedal deck to give it some airflow as it gets fairly warm. cables are a work in progress. ;)

set up everything in Simhub using these settings. What a great piece of software!
81igy5Yl.jpeg

At this point I'm still fine tuning the settings so that it doesn't annoy the Mrs or the neighbours, not really sure how I can isolate the rig to turn it up higher at the moment so dealing with lower frequencies that are effective in terms of haptic feedback but not overpowering so my rig sounds like a brick in a tumble dryer when I'm driving.
Pro Tip. set the sound card volume to 10% when you first turn it on. 100% has scarred me for life :)

I would agree with most of the online sentiments I have read. it is a game changer in terms of immersion as it adds a good level of depth. Initially I was underwhelmed with just using the top three settings but adding the bottom three really add good levels of communication from road surfaces so you can catch slides easier. it just feels a bit more realistic and gives you another element of feedback to help you judge things. It's meant I can trail brake properly now too which was a big annoyance previously because I would always overegg it and end up spinning or getting back on the power too quickly.

I set this lap on the current ACC online challenge (NSX Superpole on Silverstone) before having it and have already knocked a second off my times just from the additional feedback and improvements to car control off the back of that additional feedback element.
trying to get into the top 4000 still but I moved up 700+ positions since installing the Buttkicker.
(not really a hotlap guy so critique away :p)

Last edited:
Associate
Currently running

Simucube 2 Pro wheel
Cube controls light GT/Formula Rim (also have converted an old fanatec bmw rim to usb)
NLR GTtrack rig
Valve index VR
Fanatec v3's (with the brake mod but considering removing that)
Fanatec shifter
Fanatec handbrake
Logitech 5.1 surround sound

Just ordered the nlrv3 motion thing for the seat, fingers crossed its everything im hoping for :)

Soldato
My little G27 set up, I really need a stand and I like the look of that X-Rocker stand but I feel like it doesn't go low enough to fit under the desk with the wheel on?

StTAyEZ.jpg

Associate
I still have my G27 but bought a Thrustmaster TX Ferrari Italia edition, swapped the rim with a 599xx Evo. The standard pedals were piffle so I now use my G27 pedals along with the shifter(using adapters)
I also use 3 x 24" 144hz monitors but starting to use the Lenovo Explorer mixed reality headset a little more now, its far from perfect but a decent intro into VR gaming.

VR racing is a completely different animal for racing and I urge anyone to try it who hasn't already, but like some have said, its not for everyone.

Last edited:

Dup

Dup

Soldato
So much rig envy! I sold my G27 a couple years ago but now have the space to set up a Playseat Challenge.

On the lookout for a bargain T300 (broken maybe, as they are easy to fix) or TS-PC as I miss the belt drive my old CSR and CSR Elite pedal combo had many years ago, G27 was OK but never felt comfortable with it fully. If I managed to bag one I'll try pick up the new TM load cell pedals too. Should be a decent re-e try point.

Associate
[QUOTE="rjk, post: 33521003, member: 62818"
if Bazippy has the T500RS already with the pedals, I'm sure I saw a loadcell mod for them too as an option?

There is a load cell mod for these pedals, ive read its not as good as the new pedals and costs gulp £169 on the official sight. Im very temped to wait it out for the pro version, or go all in for the v3's which id love but do i really need to spend that much? A friend has the new thrustmaster pedals and loves them. However they are the only pedals he has had. Im dubious of the plastic build in places but the price is brilliant. Kinda figure as well that fanatec might update or change prices on the elites to keep up as surely they aren't selling as many now due to thrustmaster t-lcm pedals.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
I didn't think it cost that much. My bad.
TM pedals then maybe. They're just unproven I guess.

My fanatec shifter and usb adapter arrived. Just waiting for the mount for it from demontweeks

I just spotted Trak racer do a bunch of accessories for profile rigs and got their handbrake plate. Hoping I can mount my handbrake in a more suitable position with it. Also they have cable management clips so I grabbed some of them to help tidy things up

Back
Top Bottom