Sim racers - what are you running?

Associate
I'd suggest looking at a T300 at a minimum if you are going to dip your toe in as it were. It will give you a bit more milage for your money. Better feedback and an entire ecosystem of upgradability (Interchangable wheels etc). Only thing both of these will suffer is the pedal set will suck on both and would be the first upgrade if you were to stick with it. Used, the T300 package can be had for about the same maybe only a little bit more than the t248.
I ran the t300 for a couple of years and it was a really good wheel.

The smaller form factor DD wheels that are being pushed out now really are good value for money, and are really worth it. However it quickly adds up if you are getting a DD wheel with better pedal options, as possible as it is to run it in a desk mount configuration. Your really would benefit from a simrig to really make the most of it.

Ah OK cool; I had assumed that as the T248 was newer it would be the better option.

Is the GT RS worth it (with the clutch) or maybe I don't for now and upgrade the pedals later.

On the simrig thing, I was looking at the Next Level Wheel Stand, which can be upgraded with a seat later. But probably would clamp to a desk for now.

Soldato
Ah OK cool; I had assumed that as the T248 was newer it would be the better option.

Is the GT RS worth it (with the clutch) or maybe I don't for now and upgrade the pedals later.

On the simrig thing, I was looking at the Next Level Wheel Stand, which can be upgraded with a seat later. But probably would clamp to a desk for now.
Yeah I'd say so, even if you dont plan on using the clutch, The T3PA pedal set you get with the T300RS GT version is definitely a significant improvement over the nasty 2 pedal set which didnt last long for me, the plastic pivot point hinge broke on mine, they might have improved it by now though as it was like 5 years ago I think.
Whilst functional for the lower end equipment, the NLR wheel stand may prove to be an issue further down the line if you decide to upgrade to DD and Load cell pedals. If you have money and space, an aluminium profile or tube frame chassis would be a better route to go. Be careful and do your research. Buy right buy once. Dont make the same mistakes a lot of people do, myself included, it gets expensive FAST! :eek:

Associate
Yeah I'd say so, even if you dont plan on using the clutch, The T3PA pedal set you get with the T300RS GT version is definitely a significant improvement over the nasty 2 pedal set which didnt last long for me, the plastic pivot point hinge broke on mine, they might have improved it by now though as it was like 5 years ago I think.
Whilst functional for the lower end equipment, the NLR wheel stand may prove to be an issue further down the line if you decide to upgrade to DD and Load cell pedals. If you have money and space, an aluminium profile or tube frame chassis would be a better route to go. Be careful and do your research. Buy right buy once. Dont make the same mistakes a lot of people do, myself included, it gets expensive FAST! :eek:

Thanks for the heads up on the wheel stand; that'll come later anyway so good to know.

Your comment on buying once is what getting me thinking, as it is generally what I prefer to do. I guess that's why I'm thinking of getting something cheap (but still OK), then I can run that for a few months and see how I feel. The problem with the T300 GT RS is that price wise (new at least) it's only 1-200 off a Moza / Fanatec bundle. Then my mind starts going round in circles again!

Will have a think over the next couple of days then go for something in November I think

Associate
After a summer "off" i'm getting back on iRacing. Driving the MX5's in the production car challenge. It really is great fun.
It really is a autumn/winter hobby.

Some new goodies arrived for me today:
53287145321_ac9d7a0d99_b.jpg

Like a kid on Christmas:
53287145296_9388670c7a_b.jpg

53287610510_4683371e8d_b.jpg

Just don't tell the wife :cry:

Associate
You're a lucky boy. She's a mega wheel. You've made the best colour choice too

iracing. MX5, top split i can get .5 off the fastest drivers....

Did a race in the 992 Porsche Cup earlier. Jesus it's hard to drive. Last place and about 7 to 8 seconds off the fast guys.

Associate
You're a lucky boy. She's a mega wheel. You've made the best colour choice too

iracing. MX5, top split i can get .5 off the fastest drivers....

Did a race in the 992 Porsche Cup earlier. Jesus it's hard to drive. Last place and about 7 to 8 seconds off the fast guys.
Colour choice wasn't easy I was split between this and the "Ascent" colour. Both are very shexy. Setup was all surprisingly simple too. Now I just need to get better :cry:

Associate
Beautiful wheel! I’d love to hear your thoughts on it (& other owners) as I’m currently shortlisting a replacement for my Ascher F28 & the Hyper P1 is right up there.

Associate
I'm very happy with mine. I was one of the 1st to pre order, my serial is in the 1st hundred. Happy to answer questions. They have just announced a screenless version if you don't want / need a screen.

Associate
I definitely wouldn’t want to have any smaller hands. It is a big wheel. It’s a heavy wheel. Would not run this on a base with less than 12Nm of torque imo.

I’ve turned my base up a wee bit (from 19 to 21Nm) in order to get back some of that lost “feel” from a heavier wheel.

It is absolutely a piece of art. I’d happily display it. My only negative so far is that the 4 thumb rotaries are very hard to spin. Not too bad without gloves but hard with.

Associate
What i had was the GT Omega Apex wheel stand, with one of their seats and the frame extension. It was solid enough for my wheel CSL DD 8nm and the pedal tray was ok even with a load cell brake, it flexed when you gave it some boot but was ok, is about £400 now i think.
Biggest issue was getting stuff in the right place, i'm a big guy (6'7") so getting the wheel high enough but not too close was a bit of a compromise.
Profile is better but your gonna spend more, the GT omega Prime lite is around £550 with a seat, and i can recommend GT Omega.

My new set up is TrakRacer TR160 and its very nice but large and expensive, and Trakracer CS are just PAIN to deal with.
Just wanted to say thanks to you guys for the input! I didn't even consider an aluminum profile rig, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the GT omega prime cockpit, not over keen on their seats though so hopefully it's not to hard to fit something else in it.

Soldato
Just wanted to say thanks to you guys for the input! I didn't even consider an aluminum profile rig, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the GT omega prime cockpit, not over keen on their seats though so hopefully it's not to hard to fit something else in it.
You wont be disappointed by the Prime, I'm loving mine so far, absolutely solid! Thats the benefit of profile rigs you can use any seat with them. Just make sure you get the right mounts.

Soldato
Not dumb question, but I mean thats not a question I can really answer until you know what seat you want. Some Bucket seats can only mount via side mounts, some sliders, some both. Some car seats require specific slider mounts for that model etc etc. It really just depends on what you want to run.

I got an XLRS seat with my prime, but that was never the end goal. I plan to upgrade to something like the OMP TRS-E which I had on my last rig, Nothing fancy but comfortable enough for long sessions (I comfortably completed a 24hr race in it). I'll probably just go with the same Sparco Alloy side mounts I had last time due to the absolute rigidity and adjustability. pricey though :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
I'm very happy with mine. I was one of the 1st to pre order, my serial is in the 1st hundred. Happy to answer questions. They have just announced a screenless version if you don't want / need a screen.

I definitely wouldn’t want to have any smaller hands. It is a big wheel. It’s a heavy wheel. Would not run this on a base with less than 12Nm of torque imo.

I’ve turned my base up a wee bit (from 19 to 21Nm) in order to get back some of that lost “feel” from a heavier wheel.

It is absolutely a piece of art. I’d happily display it. My only negative so far is that the 4 thumb rotaries are very hard to spin. Not too bad without gloves but hard with.
Thanks both. I’m definitely looking for a wheel with a screen. One of my brothers has the GSI Formula Pro Elite, I‘m guessing it’s probably close to that in weight and build quality - I’ll have to give it a try again.
Other front runners are the Grid RSR (however it’s significantly more expensive) and the soon the be released Ascher McLaren with the screen.

Soldato
Finally got my steering wheel from Logitech and they've finally charged me. Now looking for a good wheel stand which won't flex stupidly to go in my office. What do people recommend? Would like something adjustable as my son would use it also.

Back
Top Bottom