Sky Fibre Optic

Soldato
its a good 900m, BT told me I was too far from the cabinet for fibre full stop, but yet I have a BTO modem working at around 38mb

These companies play it safe to save cost. Generally they stick to best practice which is invented by a business person, rather than an engineer.

Associate
+£50 install charge
+£2.50 (approx) postage of the modem.

I didnt pay anything for installation.
Yes £2.50 postage for router.

Didn't know u could pay line rental upfront for discount.

BT openreach engineer came today. Had everything done & up 'n running in about 20mins. Syncd fine at 40/2, will give it 10 days to settle but looks promising. Was DL'ing from steam earlier at stable 4.3mb/sec.

Associate
I didnt pay anything for installation.
Yes £2.50 postage for router.

Didn't know u could pay line rental upfront for discount.

I think if you got in early the £50 installation was waived. I've just ordered fibre and couldn't get them to budge on it - both web and on the phone seem to demand the installation fee now. However £50 cashback is available from a couple of sites for existing customers upgrading to fibre so it's not all bad.

Associate
I hope this is of interest..?

I was with BE unlimited but have just switched to SKY Fibre Pro. Sky quoted speeds of 54.5 Mbs download and 16 MBs up.

BT Openreach guy came last Friday (15th) and installed everything, now getting rock solid download of 73 Mbs and upload of 16.5 Mbs, cabinet is well over 500 yards away as well.

Associate
Looks like the Fibre situation is getting worse for me...

Look outside at the Pylons this morning and noticed that both the telephone lines and the electricity cables use the same Pylon. Then i get a letter form the electricity company say that next tuesday all of the Pylons are being rippied out and replaced with new ones... Funny thing is got no comms from the telephone company saying our service would be down even though it uses the same pole..

Associate

I was with BE unlimited but have just switched to SKY Fibre Pro. Sky quoted speeds of 54.5 Mbs download and 16 MBs up.

BT Openreach guy came last Friday (15th) and installed everything, now getting rock solid download of 73 Mbs and upload of 16.5 Mbs, cabinet is well over 500 yards away as well.

similiar situation with me. i was quoted 66mbs down, but no upload quote. Ive been on it for 11 days now, and its settled down nicely at 75/16.5, with a ping time of 5ms.
Point is, BT Openreach seem to be quite cautious with their estimates.

Soldato

Interesting, I'm only 600mtrs from cabinet, & I can only get 40mb d/l & 7. 5Mbs u/l, & this is with Infinity 2.
BT bod said he was getting 76Mbs at the cabinet, seems I have some serious issues to resolve.:mad:

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Interesting, I'm only 600mtrs from cabinet, & I can only get 40mb d/l & 7. 5Mbs u/l, & this is with Infinity 2.
BT bod said he was getting 76Mbs at the cabinet, seems I have some serious issues to resolve.:mad:

40Mb/s @ 600m isn't too bad.

Associate
Originally Posted by Nightglow
BT bod said he was getting 76Mbs at the cabinet, seems I have some serious issues to resolve.

600 Mtrs? that seems a hell of a long way for a cabinet. Im only a little bit further than that from the exchange.. I thought most cabinets would be no more than a couple of hundred meters from any house unless its out in the sticks.

Back
Top Bottom