Sky Fibre Optic

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I also want to keep my old number.
I'm signing up on their web page.
At what stage do I need to tell them to keep my old number?
Do I have to phone them up after placing my order through their website?

The number won't change. You're only moving the line rental.

Soldato
I just thought I would give others an update.
I first tried to order the ftcc service on SKY's website.
It came back with "error" and that I need to call them.
I then called them and the operator said that I cannot get fibre. He then tried using another system, which apparently is newer. This system showed that I could get fibre. He then took all my details and processed the order.
You also need a MAC code (which nobody told me about), so try getting this from your current broadband supplier, before calling SKY.

Soldato
The 40Mb package is the standard sky fibre package (£20 / month) advertised on website.

The 80Mb package is the sky fibre pro package which you can get upgraded to if you phone up and costs £30 / month

thx was confused all this talk of 80meg speeds, guess u can only call them up and find out.

Still it appears many are not hitting 80meg speeds some are barely getting 50-60meg after the upgrade.

Still 10meg upload sounds sweet and no restrictions is awesome, its still a toss up im thinking between virgin 100meg or skys 80meg services... guess got some thinking to do ;)

Associate
Thanks. I could do that myself :p

They replaced the whole master socket at my installation as I had an old socket.

On a side note they guy who did my installation was excellent. He kept me updated before hand and made sure that I was getting the fastest possible speed before heading off.

Soldato
thx was confused all this talk of 80meg speeds, guess u can only call them up and find out.

Still it appears many are not hitting 80meg speeds some are barely getting 50-60meg after the upgrade.

Still 10meg upload sounds sweet and no restrictions is awesome, its still a toss up im thinking between virgin 100meg or skys 80meg services... guess got some thinking to do ;)

Whilst you're thinking, don't forget that Virgin will throttle whenever they like, Sky won't (at the moment).

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
What.....

Are you kidding me? £50 for this, something that i can do myself.
And i assume there's no way of getting out of it?

You could go with BT Infinity if you want free installation or wait for the "wires only" product.

Soldato
btinfinity is certainly a viable option.
They are cheaper and you would only have to pay an additional £6 or so, for a VPN service or Seedbox.

In theory, with BT, you can get free installation, and pay £24/month for 40MBit download and 10MBit upload, with no traffic shaping or restrictions (inc £6 for VPN service) and complete anonymity.

After spending 6 hours researching which to go for, I decided to go with SKY, only because they have a readymade package (I don't need to setup a VPN service). I also run a server from my home and I didnt know how the server would run with the VPN service. Had it not been for the server, by my calculations, BT Infinity + VPN would've been better value than SKY's Fibre offering (£4 extra/month, no installation, ability to view any website around the World, unlike SKY, which prohibits certain websites, 10MBit upload speed, VPN allowing complete anonymity...BT Inifinity wins hands down).

Where SKY's offering is better, is the 80MBit product. Once you factor in the cost of the VPN, BT Infinity works out more expensive.

Soldato
Whilst you're thinking, don't forget that Virgin will throttle whenever they like, Sky won't (at the moment).

I've heard some really bad stories about Virgin.
I was originally thinking of having a Virgin line, but was told that download speeds can be quite bad, due to traffic congestion. Add the problem of traffic shaping to this, and Virgin are of little use to advanced internet users who demand the ability to use their internet connection in any way they wish.

Soldato
What.....

Are you kidding me? £50 for this, something that i can do myself.
And i assume there's no way of getting out of it?

Sky have to pay for the Openreach engineer. Unfortunately it is a flat fee regardless of if you just need a modem delivering or needing some serious work for your master socket.

Associate
... no installation, ability to view any website around the World, unlike SKY, which prohibits certain websites, 10MBit upload speed, VPN allowing complete anonymity...BT Inifinity wins hands down).

Cashback is currently available for Sky fibre installs.

BT's contract is 18 months vs Sky's 12 months.

Sky are also saying that the 40/2 products will be upgraded at the end of July to 40/10

What websites do Sky block that BT don't?

Soldato
When you take out a VPN + BT Infinity, all websites will be available. Remember, BT can only compare with SKY, when you add VPN. Without VPN, BT Infinity is worthless - I would rather use a 4MBit connection that BTInfinity.

I tried to use the cashback service yesterday, however, it would not allow me to order online. I then went to sky forums and apparently, you can only order Fibre broadband, on the website, if you are an existing sky customer. I'm not sure how true this is.

On a further note, I spoke with my existing BB supplier and apparently, SKY are scheduled to take over my phone line 2 days before they fix my BB connection. This means no internet for 2 days. I've been on the phone with SKY for 30 minutes to try and get the full changeover to happen on the same day and they say that they do not have the expertise to do this and that I need to call back tomorrow.

If this continues, I may have to cancel the order and go with BT + VPN.
Because I work from home and cannot afford to have any **** ups and given my experience so far, it would be a miracle if SKY manage to take over my line without issue.

Back
Top Bottom