Sky Fibre Optic

Seems a little impractical to leave people without broadband for 2 days; you'd think they could co-ordinate it so it's all done at the same time. Could you possibly manage by tethering from your mobile phone for a couple of days or do you need lots of bandwidth for work?

I need a hard line for work.
I even asked the lady to delay the telephone line transfer by 2 days...but this seemed like rocket science. Perhaps they have their reasons.
At the very worst, I shall cancel the order and re-order it, with a later install date.

Last edited:
When you take out a VPN + BT Infinity, all websites will be available. Remember, BT can only compare with SKY, when you add VPN. Without VPN, BT Infinity is worthless - I would rather use a 4MBit connection that BTInfinity.

I tried to use the cashback service yesterday, however, it would not allow me to order online. I then went to sky forums and apparently, you can only order Fibre broadband, on the website, if you are an existing sky customer. I'm not sure how true this is.

On a further note, I spoke with my existing BB supplier and apparently, SKY are scheduled to take over my phone line 2 days before they fix my BB connection. This means no internet for 2 days. I've been on the phone with SKY for 30 minutes to try and get the full changeover to happen on the same day and they say that they do not have the expertise to do this and that I need to call back tomorrow.

If this continues, I may have to cancel the order and go with BT + VPN.
Because I work from home and cannot afford to have any **** ups and given my experience so far, it would be a miracle if SKY manage to take over my line without issue.

Please bear in mind that using a VPN drastically reduces your download speeds. It's something you should also consider before you pull the trigger on BTInfinity etc.

What.....

Are you kidding me? £50 for this, something that i can do myself.
And i assume there's no way of getting out of it?

I assume you can do all the required changes at the cab too? Like I said before you may also need to have a new master socket fitted (like I did). People are really underselling what the engineers do for an FTTC install.

EDIT: I remember reading that BT were looking at using an ADSL style filter so an engineer doesn't have to visit but it would have an impact on line speed with the current filter they have.

Last edited:
On my install the first openreach router provided failed within half an hour - the engineer provided another immediately and did all the line tests.

It all would have been a pain with self install - support calls, ordering a new router etc. All in all I didn't begrudge the install fee.

Also if you signed up early on they waived the £50 whilst they did the first few weeks of installs :)

For that £50 they will also sometimes move the master socket though not always.

On the very day that SKY launched their fibre, I looked them up and they were charging £50.

From what I know, the only people who get the £50 waived are the people who are already on SKY.

I don't know of anybody who managed to get the £50 waived, who wasn't already on SKY.

Please bear in mind that using a VPN drastically reduces your download speeds. It's something you should also consider before you pull the trigger on BTInfinity etc.

What sort of percentage loss are we talking here?
The other option is to use a Seedbox service. This downloads torrent directly to the cloud. You can then download directly from the Seedbox, normally at full speed.

There are other options, if traffic shaping is causing grief and you need to go with BTInfinity.

UPDATE:

At present my phone line is transferred to SKY on 16th July, with broadband on 18th July, which is an absolute pain.
I called up SKY again today.
And asked for them to delay my phone line transfer. They said that they cannot do this. And they cannot bring the internet connection install earlier.

So for those transferring over to SKY, be advised that things might not all happen on the same day.

I am thinking of using dial up for those 2 days.

I'm trying to make my Dad realize that having Fibre Broadband is worthwhile and it will stop our laggy internet, we're currently on Sky unlimited, but looking at upgrading to Sky Fibre and wondering whether this is a good choice or whether to go with BT and get Infinity?

I'm trying to make my Dad realize that having Fibre Broadband is worthwhile and it will stop our laggy internet, we're currently on Sky unlimited, but looking at upgrading to Sky Fibre and wondering whether this is a good choice or whether to go with BT and get Infinity?

im in the exact same boat, but as a large usenet user - im really scared of moving away from my isp that has never had an issue with my usenet usage

the only reason i want to move is that my adsl line tops out at 15mbps and as a household, we need more tbh

im in the exact same boat, but as a large usenet user - im really scared of moving away from my isp that has never had an issue with my usenet usage

the only reason i want to move is that my adsl line tops out at 15mbps and as a household, we need more tbh

We've been with Sky for years and have had no problems, and if we have, their CS have been great and resolved any issues we've had.

On Sky Unlimited we get around 4.7Mbps but only about 450 - 500kbps download, and 0.7 upload and with everyone using the internet at the same time it tends to go really slow, so hopefully if we upgrade to Fibre, it'll improve that drastically.

We've been with Sky for years and have had no problems, and if we have, their CS have been great and resolved any issues we've had.

On Sky Unlimited we get around 4.7Mbps but only about 450 - 500kbps download, and 0.7 upload and with everyone using the internet at the same time it tends to go really slow, so hopefully if we upgrade to Fibre, it'll improve that drastically.

Mine went from 4.5mbit to 40mbit no problems. I'd highly recommend Sky.

What sort of percentage loss are we talking here?
The other option is to use a Seedbox service. This downloads torrent directly to the cloud. You can then download directly from the Seedbox, normally at full speed.

There are other options, if traffic shaping is causing grief and you need to go with BTInfinity.

Roughly about 50% or more....:eek:

Back
Top Bottom