Sky Fibre Optic

Soldato
So Fibre has been available in my area(Rochdale) for 10-14 days via BT Infinity or Plus Net, I keep checking with Sky daily and still nothing...

Talking to live help from Sky they don't seem interested or able to give me a date when I can order.

:(

September.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Fibre-Unlimited/Rochdale-exchange-Sky-Fibre-enabled/m-p/482360#M2863

Still waiting for mine to be done as well. Fibre has been available for ages, so has sky (their llu service), but still no fibre from sky :(.

Soldato
Was hoping sooner since FTTC has been live since June here...

Sky seem to be slow doing whatever it is they do. My exchange and cab has been enabled for a long time (got done last year, can't remember exactly when) and sky have a presence in it (LLU is available), yet no Sky fibre.

Would be nice if they would put up a list of dates or something for when it be available or remove the suggestion that if the open reach fibre network covers you, you can get it.

Last edited:

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
It'll be worth the wait. I'm already seeing exchange congestion using a BT wholesale product.

Associate
What makes you think that SKY will be any better?
Surely, BT have more resources, so I am assuming that their products will have better contention ratios?

Would take too long for me to explain. Sky is truly.unlimited. go search forums.for bt packet shaping and p2p management.

Bt aren't awful.ok for most ppl but when I was with bt my speed was 5mb and at night it went to half a meg.

I switched to sky it went up to 8mb no evening drop outs!

Soldato
I know about packet shaping...no search required ;)
I was talking specifically about contention ratios and congestion at the exchange causing bandwidth to reduce.

Out of interest, when you say that at night, your speed dropped significantly, was this for non P2P data?

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
What makes you think that SKY will be any better?
Surely, BT have more resources, so I am assuming that their products will have better contention ratios?

From experience, the Easynet network is superior. It would also explain why Sky is taking a while to roll-out out FTTC, adding extra capacity as they go.

Soldato
Its surprising that your experience is poor with BT's network.
I was on BT ADSL (one of the early adopters), way back in 2001, I think it was and used them for 2 years.

At that time, BT's ADSL was trouble free and I used that internet connection on everything. Never had a single problem or hiccup in 2 years. My friend used Nildram (which was seen as the Rolls Royce of internet connections, at the time, as they were a business DSL company) and I would say that over the 2 years, BT's service was as good as Nildram's. Of course, this was 10 years ago...so things have obviously changed.

Associate
Its surprising that your experience is poor with BT's network.
I was on BT ADSL (one of the early adopters), way back in 2001, I think it was and used them for 2 years.

At that time, BT's ADSL was trouble free and I used that internet connection on everything. Never had a single problem or hiccup in 2 years. My friend used Nildram (which was seen as the Rolls Royce of internet connections, at the time, as they were a business DSL company) and I would say that over the 2 years, BT's service was as good as Nildram's. Of course, this was 10 years ago...so things have obviously changed.

"Its surprising that your experience is poor with BT's network." this is to date not 10 years ago and Nildram was great back in the days many years as I used them but time's change.

Kenneth.

Associate
do sky throttle torrents? if so, do they do it 24/7, or only at peak time?

nope they dont throttle at all, I am on LLU connected at ;

Modem Status Connected DownStream Connection Speed 22013 kbps UpStream Connection Speed 1150 kbps VPI 0 VCI 38
getting 2.1 MB/s download on quite a few downloads:)
also only 80 metres from the telephone exchange if that helps.

PS forget to add paying 7.50 a month for the great service :)

PS again just reread the main forum title and states sky fibre! Doh!
Kenneth.

Last edited:
Associate
nope they dont throttle at all, I am on LLU connected at ;

Modem Status Connected DownStream Connection Speed 22013 kbps UpStream Connection Speed 1150 kbps VPI 0 VCI 38
getting 2.1 MB/s download on quite a few downloads:)
also only 80 metres from the telephone exchange if that helps.

PS forget to add paying 7.50 a month for the great service :)

PS again just reread the main forum title and states sky fibre! Doh!
Kenneth.

who's your ISP?

Soldato
I have a couple of quick questions as I've seen conflicting information both on Sky's website and in other places :p

I currently have Sky Broadband Unlimited (the LLU one), and Sky's site appears to indicate that I can get their fibre service (40mbit). My questions are:

1. Is there a one-off 'installation' charge of £50? Sky's own site appears to contradict itself on this!
2. Does the 'installation' require an engineer visit or is it a purely administrative exercise?

Thanks for any clarification :)

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
1. Is there a one-off 'installation' charge of £50? Sky's own site appears to contradict itself on this!
2. Does the 'installation' require an engineer visit or is it a purely administrative exercise?

1) Yes.
2) Engineer required.

Back
Top Bottom