Sky Fibre Optic

Not really bothered about P2P stuff - more usenet and it doesn't look like that's affected via BT. I've also noticed more threads from sky fibre users about "half speed" issues.

I have to admit though that sky's customer service will be better than BT's - other than the usual BT and sky arguing with one another over who is at fault lol - i.e. line or system fault etc.

Will see if I can blag the PRO service for £20 otherwise will probably move to BT - as i find £30 pm a bit too much to stomach for internet use.

This thread doesn't exactly inspire confidence though!! http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Fibre-Unlimited/Half-speed/td-p/413509/page/39

Aye for P2P stuff they do - not sure about newsgroups (can't find anything solid on that yet) and even then if its throttled from 80MB it'll still be worth it no?

Sure I read on the sky forums that whatever policies BT have in place, it applies to sky also?

I'm waiting for sky's 'winback' team to call me so no rush just yet - Got till the 17th before BT take over.

SKY don't throttle regardless, I've done 000's of gigs in a month and not even a peep from them, whereas my mate is on BT and gets hammered every night.

Sky are using BT's fibre service so are also subject to the same traffic management. Its the reason why BE won't currently offer a fibre service, as they are at the mercy of BT ;)

BUT - If you know something i don't - please say so, as I've got till the 17th to cancel lol!

just LOL this is complete nonsense, they use BT's infrastructure not their service

Thats what I thought, but a couple of mates who work at o2 are using that excuse lol!

Anyways, looks like BT doesn't traffic shape usenet so I'll happily take the £10 pm saving over sky's fibre pro service ;)

How long do they spend working on the master socket? Mine is quite awkwardly placed.

As long as is needed. My BT man was ace, he spent about a couple of hours here and while fitting the data kit we talked about cars and how to clean them - i learnt a few things or two!! He even went out to look at my car and told me what polisher and products to buy etc !

Its purely dependent - he told me he spent half a day at an install because it was so awkward.

As long as is needed. My BT man was ace, he spent about a couple of hours here and while fitting the data kit we talked about cars and how to clean them - i learnt a few things or two!! He even went out to look at my car and told me what polisher and products to buy etc !

Its purely dependent - he told me he spent half a day at an install because it was so awkward.

Thanks Naan :) I hope my installer is as good as yours was! I'll try and make his life as easy as possible by making the socket easily accessible.

Thanks Naan :) I hope my installer is as good as yours was! I'll try and make his life as easy as possible by making the socket easily accessible.

icon14.gif

Strange.
My installer spent about 5-10 minutes, maximum working on my socket.
Not sure why it would take more than this, given that all he does is replace the face plate. It certainly shouldnt take 2 hours to replace a face plate.

Strange.
My installer spent about 5-10 minutes, maximum working on my socket.
Not sure why it would take more than this, given that all he does is replace the face plate. It certainly shouldnt take 2 hours to replace a face plate.

Not strange at all, unlike your reply. You really should read the thread. A master socket can be placed anywhere and in some cases in very difficult to reach places. My master socket is next to my front door, with no power source nearby. A data extension kit had to be installed to get the modem and router placed next to my pc, which obviously has a power source.

He had to drill through door frames to run the cable, something they do not normally do. And he took his time to do a neat job. I'm glad he did and appreciate the effort and lengths he went to make me happy with the install. Great service from openreach.

Back
Top Bottom