Sky Fibre Optic

Check they are all in the same subnet, check that only one router is doing dhcp, check that the "switch" isn't firewalling anything it shouldn't etc try pinging the different ip addresses they have.

Thank you, I never bothered checking that. Forgot I used a manual network settings for my last router. Changed it now and it's working perfectly.

Just had ours installed this morning, so here's the obligatory speedtest mugshot:
2170462145.png

That's through Ethernet though, the WiFi is slightly slower (~22Mb/s). The engineer said we're getting the full 40Mb on the line, so maybe some tweaking can up the speed a bit more...

Fibre is availlable in my area from the 30th. I'm about 300m from the cab as the crow flies. BTs checker can only give an estimate based on my post code as I have a Sky phone line. BT estimates 15 down 5 up. I was hoping for more. What speeds are folks getting in a similar situation or what do you think is the best I can hope for?

Fibre is availlable in my area from the 30th. I'm about 300m from the cab as the crow flies. BTs checker can only give an estimate based on my post code as I have a Sky phone line. BT estimates 15 down 5 up. I was hoping for more. What speeds are folks getting in a similar situation or what do you think is the best I can hope for?

30th September is the holding date not an actual definite date.

It doesn't mean it will be available.

That holding date is frustrating, my Exchange also states 30th September. When I check with ISP's it doesn't state Fibre is coming soon. I wish the date shown was the actual go live date. There is nothing worse than hoping it is available on the holding date only to check a few days later and see its been pushed back again :(

Cabinet Probability Uplift Phase Status Type
P99 87% Not part of a phase
N/A 12% Not part of a phase Directly connected to exchange. FTTC is not supported.

My exchange has had fibre for ages (well over a year now). It's getting really frustrating that the chinese takeaway, sprinting distance away from me is able to get Fibre, yet i cannot.. The above is the readout from http://fttc-check.alc.im/results.php?postcode=SG13UG

Every checker that do says that it's not available. Maybe if i go take the cabinet out with a car, taking mine and my neighbour's lines out completely, they may come and replace and upgrade? :p

My exchange has had fibre for ages (well over a year now). It's getting really frustrating that the chinese takeaway, sprinting distance away from me is able to get Fibre, yet i cannot.. The above is the readout from http://fttc-check.alc.im/results.php?postcode=SG13UG

Every checker that do says that it's not available. Maybe if i go take the cabinet out with a car, taking mine and my neighbour's lines out completely, they may come and replace and upgrade? :p

im in the same position... exchange has had fibre for a while and i can drive down streets right next to me and i can see the cabs with bug posters on them saying Fibre is here yet my cabinet has not been done.

A small update for me regarding the router they give you:

I managed to get my Apple Airport Extreme setup connected directly into the BTO modem even though Sky are using MER to authenticate.

Quite conveniently there is a 'DHCP Client ID' option when configuring the WAN port in Airport Utility, and after entering in the generated <username>@skydsl|<password> it appears to be working without a hitch for well over a few hours now.

im in the same position... exchange has had fibre for a while and i can drive down streets right next to me and i can see the cabs with bug posters on them saying Fibre is here yet my cabinet has not been done.

Mine has a big sticker on it saying the same and it's not yet available :D.

To be fair it will be in November though so I'll let them off.

2170462145.png

The engineer said we're getting the full 40Mb on the line, so maybe some tweaking can up the speed a bit more...

I think he meant that you were syncing at 39999.
In general, most people sync at that speed. That doesn't really mean much.
What is important is actual throughput and that is where Speedtest comes into play (as you, yourself, have found out).

I think it will be. Loads of cabs have been setup, some of them are accepting orders. (Hereford)

The last date in March, June, September and December are all holding dates. Unless the date is something different or you've heard from Openreach that your cabinet is getting enabled then the holding date is not an indication of availability and you could easily be waiting days, weeks or even months.

Cabinets may be being enabled around you but you may be unlucky and your particular cabinet may not be commercially viable for them to power (e.g. the cost they're quoted for powering the cabinet is too high). In which case it'll be left, probably until the end where it may then be enabled.

I think he meant that you were syncing at 39999.
In general, most people sync at that speed. That doesn't really mean much.
What is important is actual throughput and that is where Speedtest comes into play (as you, yourself, have found out).

Not to be pedantic but the modem is reporting 40000, not 39999:
Oek8D.png

Anyway, I've switched to a Tomato router for this now (latest Shibby mod).

You need to set the DHCPC Options field with:
Code:
-x 0x3d:encodedhexstringofusername@skydslandpassword
(the 0x3d itself is hex for option 61 as found in the wiki articles)

Back
Top Bottom