Sky Fibre Optic

ARE YOU ACTUALLY ******* KIDDING ME??

areyoukidding.png

Do you have a cordless phone running on the same wireless band as the router? If so turn it off and try again.

Hello!

I'm having sky fibre installed thursday 7th, I've heard from various people that the sky routers aren't very good and advise to buy one, anyone on here back that opinion up and reccomend a decent router?!

I'd only change it if you need gigabit locally, apart from that I was very happy with it.

Right then, i have had my fibre installed... 3 weeks after ordering it

The router came in the post, the modem and faceplate the guy brought with him

The guy came (mathew field), connected a "BT Oscillator" and told me he was going out to the cabinet.

The cabinet is 200m away and he said i should get a good connection.

After 40 minutes he returned and connected the new vdsl faceplate and the meter.

I asked him about the cabinet. He says it has a capacity of 800, maximum of 200 fibre subscribers. I am number 28 fibre subscriber and it has been available in this area for more than 2 years so the rate of subscription is very low so i should get a reliable connection he said.

He hooked up the modem, a echolife 3B and the sky router.

He asked me to turn on the computer and test the connection. On speedtest.net i was getting 5ms ping, 38mbps down and 8.5 up - which i am very happy with :D

The true test for me is usenet and am currently getting it at 4.5MBps - which i think is good :)

He came at 8am and left at 9.15am.

Last edited:
Thinking of upgrading to this, we have the 20mb service already with Sky. Any tips for avoiding the £50 installation fee?

I thought that if you were already with Sky's LLU then the installation was waived. I think that used to be the case but if it's not anymore:

Phone them up and tell them you want to move to Sky Fibre but can't afford the installation costs. If they say it's not possible, tell them it's a shame, thank them and put the phone down.

Keep repeating the above until someone tells you they will upgrade you without the installation charge.

Another plan of attack if the above fails is to get through to cancellations and tell them you're thinking about cancelling as you want fibre but don't want to pay £50 for the privilege and see if there's anything they can do for you. Have alternative fibre prices at hand such as BT Infinity's (I'm assuming that BT don't have an installation charge but I may be wrong).

I've found that Sky are more receptive if you come across as friendly and polite.

Good luck!! :)

Last edited:
Thinking of upgrading my be ADSL to sky fibre, how long does the whole process take and how long will I be without internet does anyone know or can estimate? Would have to change from bt line rental to sky as well.

Well after a few days after my installation was getting a good 35Mb/s.

A week later struggling to get 20Mb/s, read about the issues Sky are facing with this and so far they haven't diagnosed the fault.

Might try my luck and get a free upgrade :D

Thinking of upgrading my be ADSL to sky fibre, how long does the whole process take and how long will I be without internet does anyone know or can estimate? Would have to change from bt line rental to sky as well.

After an initial **** up, my line and broadband is due to change just about 2 weeks since ordering. This will depend on your area and demand on Openreach staff.

Sky say that I won't be without internet as up until the engineer arrives, I'll still be with my current ISP, Bethere. By the time the engineer leaves, I should be on Sky Fibre.

Yes you will need to change from BT to Sky for your line rental in order to get Sky Fibre. You'll be ordering both in one go so Sky will manage the transfer of both the phone and internet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom