Sky Fibre Optic

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I have my sky router wireless disabled and got it plugged into an apple router, I haven't even used the sky wireless cos its rubbish, you can't use another router due to the MER setup they use apparently

Billion 7800N works with custom firmware. Same goes for Tomato and DD-WRT.

Soldato
My latest speedtest result via wireless:

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][/URL]

The family PC downstairs is getting what it should be on Sky Fibre 40/2, what would be the most effective, pain-free way of getting speeds on a par with that? I've heard about home plugs, or I could get an ethernet plug installed upstairs, would this be expensive or a lot of hassle though? I've also seen the home plugs that OCUK sell, are they as effective as having a plug fitted to the wall? How do they work exactly?

Soldato
Just done that and it has improved it a bit, though curiously my upload speeds have gone down:

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][/URL]

It's still well below what I would like to get though, and less than I was getting on Sky's Unlimited Broadband package, so not great considering I'm paying an extra £13. With regards my last post, what's the best option? Do home plugs work well?

Soldato
Homeplugs work fine.
Can you not drill a hole and pass an ethernet cable through your floor?
You can pass the cable in your hallway (use trunking) and then on the top floor, run the cable along the skirting board, to your bedroom. This way, you have a permanent hardwired connection available in your bedroom, even when you change routers/connections, in future.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18410632

Soldato
Only thing I'd be concerned about doing it that way would be the mess, or the potential mess anyway lol, and the cost of calling someone in to do that. Having read that thread you linked to, I'm tempted to go for the home plugs.

Soldato
Only thing I'd be concerned about doing it that way would be the mess, or the potential mess anyway lol, and the cost of calling someone in to do that. Having read that thread you linked to, I'm tempted to go for the home plugs.

Drilling through the ceiling and taking the cable through the upstairs floorboards is a diy job. However, if you don't mind losing 2 plug points, use them. I think you can get 2 for around £40. And they work.

Permabanned
weird since it was installed on weds its been rock solid around 38mbs on speedtest, today the sync drops to around 37 and the real time speed is around 34, grrrr really hope its just 10 day weirdness

Soldato
1993176739.png

This is what I'm getting, it very breifly was up around 30

Soldato
weird since it was installed on weds its been rock solid around 38mbs on speedtest, today the sync drops to around 37 and the real time speed is around 34, grrrr really hope its just 10 day weirdness

I would love to get anywhere near that speed.
And unless you saturate your bandwidth, I really can't see what the fuss is about. 34mbps vs 37mbps...do it really make much difference?

Permabanned
just rebooted my modem for first time in 24 hours to see if i could get my 38mb back its now syncing at 37 but throughput is 21 FML

Associate
well the guy on the phone offered me it for £20 (same price as 40/10) + phone line, i'd be mad not too!

On the basis of this. I'm considering phoning cancellations (Still on my grace period) and telling them I'm moving to BT for 80 down for the same price as 40 on Sky, see if they're willing to do the upgrade free for me too!

Associate
On the basis of this. I'm considering phoning cancellations (Still on my grace period) and telling them I'm moving to BT for 80 down for the same price as 40 on Sky, see if they're willing to do the upgrade free for me too!

Let me know how u get on, im considering doing exactly the same.

Previously had sky broadband unlimited and tv for £31.00 and separate bt phone line around £13. Sky offered me sky fibre 40/2, phone line n tv for £41 when I rang cancellations. Now wishing id pushed for sky fibre pro (80 meg download).

Associate

definately worth a try, worked for me. i was quite surprised at the lengths they went to, to keep my custom though.
Ive been sent my router today too, in time for my installation this Monday, i cant believe how crappy it looks!! My fag packet has better build quality!

Back
Top Bottom