*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
ok maybe it works for some - we had searched for the word 'jet' for recent bbc airplane series.
Q + Qiplayer search failed, nowtv iplayer succeeded - I would like a one stop shop.

Caporegime
I just typed "jet" and it found the programme quite simply both episodes on demand from iPlayer, plus options for several other programmes that are of a similar vein.

It found it even quicker by just saying jet.

Soldato
Ok that is weird, I will have to google and see if there are problems with programme index construction on the Q box (I found it immediately on nowtv iplayer app)

As I tried to say, I had hoped the Q searching (not inside iplayer app) would find BBC programmes;
I infer from your comment you only found them in the Q Iplayer app.

Within the Q Iplayer app - I could not see a search option at all,
I expected to see same interface as I see on nowtv app (should have taken a picture) but could not find either the numeric 2=abc or full qwerty keyboard techniques available on nowtv box.
I wonder if there are different Qiplayer app versions in the wild ... but I doubt it.

Soldato
Ok that is weird, I will have to google and see if there are problems with programme index construction on the Q box (I found it immediately on nowtv iplayer app)

As I tried to say, I had hoped the Q searching (not inside iplayer app) would find BBC programmes;
I infer from your comment you only found them in the Q Iplayer app.

Within the Q Iplayer app - I could not see a search option at all,
I expected to see same interface as I see on nowtv app (should have taken a picture) but could not find either the numeric 2=abc or full qwerty keyboard techniques available on nowtv box.
I wonder if there are different Qiplayer app versions in the wild ... but I doubt it.
I just searched it as well and found it. Not inside any app. I pressed search on the remote, used the vertical menu to spell the full word JET. It was the first thing that came up with 2 episodes to select for on demand. Is the box connected to the internet? If your box doesn't behave the way I explained above then something is wrong. Either user error or a faulty box somehow.

Soldato
The Q search function searches all catch up, on demand and future live broadcasts.
Iplayer content is controlled by the BBC.

If it's not on one of the above, then it won't find it.

Soldato
Their Q Box is connected to the internet, it is however only about 8Mb/s, wireless to router, this sky article I just found confirms (as you say) voice search needs the internet and maybe text search does too.

Searching on a humax/freeview the 2 week program db is stored locally, I don't know about now tv box.

Maybe the search is just intolerant of any slow (ping) response from the internet connection. (they have BT BB not sky, maybe BT traffic shape)

Just saw too, that voice only works with the touch remote (well, I guess the regular does not have a mic) -
anyway the sky installer had corroborated the internet recommendation to leave the touch in its box and stick to regular remote too.

I had looked on sky forums and some other folks have problems too
bu no signficant/defintive sky document/faq afaiks

Soldato
Their Q Box is connected to the internet, it is however only about 8Mb/s, wireless to router, this sky article I just found confirms (as you say) voice search needs the internet and maybe text search does too.

Searching on a humax/freeview the 2 week program db is stored locally, I don't know about now tv box.

Maybe the search is just intolerant of any slow (ping) response from the internet connection. (they have BT BB not sky, maybe BT traffic shape)

Just saw too, that voice only works with the touch remote (well, I guess the regular does not have a mic) -
anyway the sky installer had corroborated the internet recommendation to leave the touch in its box and stick to regular remote too.

I had looked on sky forums and some other folks have problems too
bu no signficant/defintive sky document/faq afaiks
8Mb/s should be fine. Is the box fully updated? Have you tried a reboot? Something is definitely wrong

Soldato
I've ordered Sky Q, just have a question. I'm having 2 boxes, the UHD one and a mini box, do they need to be in wireless range of each other, or as long as they are on the same network it's ok?

Because the boxes will be located in separate buildings, I have 2 x UAP‑AC‑LR, one in each building which connect back to the same router, will this be ok? Because there is no way the two boxes will be within wireless range of each other.

Thanks

Caporegime
Yes they need to communicate with each other. The mini contains no hard disk or satellite feeds, it works completely at the behest of the main box. The Engineer will likely want to use Sky kit to connect them. It's what he's been trained on. If it goes wrong and you call Sky then they'll likely be unable to help. There's a chance it might work, but also a chance it might not.

Soldato
Can't they communicate over my network? The mini could be plugged into an Ethernet port. I was under the impression that the mini had it's own HDD for some reason.

If they need to be within wifi range of each other then there's no way it will work at all.

Caporegime
They can work over a wired connection, yes, but the Engineer will have been trained and advised to set it up the way he knows how. It might work as is, it might not. I guess all he can do is try it on the day.

Soldato
Thanks, hope it can work.

I also just realised, my parents will be using the mini box, so that means when they record they will record onto my box, my mum watches a lot of rubbish, not looking forward to it cluttering up my planner, I kind of though it would have it's own HDD and store it's own recordings, is there some clever way to manage this? I don't record a lot really.

Soldato
what kind of wireless bandwidth do you need between the mini and Q box ?
so is it possible to evaluate what you have at peak evening times before the engineer visit, so that you can determine if wireless is a no-starter

Caporegime
Thanks, hope it can work.

I also just realised, my parents will be using the mini box, so that means when they record they will record onto my box, my mum watches a lot of rubbish, not looking forward to it cluttering up my planner, I kind of though it would have it's own HDD and store it's own recordings, is there some clever way to manage this? I don't record a lot really.
Not at the moment, it all goes into one planner. It's part of the selling point. Merged planner you can watch on any box at any time. Did you take the 2TB? Folders are coming soon but it's generally a low priority over bug fixes but it'll come this year most likely.

Soldato
Yea I'm having 2TB so I can watch F1 in UHD, the real reason for the change lol.

My parents have a Freesat Humax box which is rubbish so hoping it's a nice upgrade for them, they haven't had Sky in years.

Associate
I've had SkyQ since last summer and suffered from lip sync issues with my Yamaha YSP-2500 sound bar for some time before realising what the issue actually was.
In my case it's simply down to turning on and off in the right order and not allowing the tv or soundbar going into sleep mode.
First is to take the tv out of standby, turn the soundbar on and then turn the skyQ box on. Powering up to watch, this way no channels at all are out of sync.
Powering down is the reverse of powering up. Problems only arise for me when the tv goes into standby on it's own (after 4 hours of not using the tv remote) and takes the soundbar into standby at the same time. It seems that the skyQ box is not good at re-syncing over ARC if the tv and soundbar go into sleep mode.

Oh ok thanks for that

Soldato
Anyone having issues with Q mini losing network connection. Mine must have lost it 5 times whilst trying to watch a recording last night.

Back
Top Bottom