*** Sky Q Thread ***

Man of Honour
My 2TB box has been fine, mini needs a 240v reset each time.

What I find annoying is trying to find recorded episodes. I'd managed to miss a whole episode of Billions, if that was via Plex it wouldn't happen.

Soldato
All Q customers should now be on the new software from this morning.

Voice search has never failed me once in months of trying.

Will try this when I get home, cheers.

I have a problem with one of the Ariel feeds, one of them will get BBC2 HD but will not get BBC 1 HD, there are other channels that are not available but I've not noted them all down, does anyone know why this might be? Just to clarify one of the feeds (directly from the satellite) receives all channels one misses some, in the settings the signal is strong with either one plugged in?

Cheers,

Associate
I'm tempted by Sky Q, but I can't seem to get any information on costs, etc. Is it purely a case of paying a £200 up front cost and that's it? I've currently got HD & Multiroom, I tried placing an order on the website but apparently there is an outstanding order on my account (Strangely looking at track my order shows no outstanding orders)!? and I'm asked to call them so I'd rather get some information on this before going ahead and later finding I've been given a terrible deal.

Associate
Once the upfront cost has been paid that's it. Your subscription doesn't change unless you change it.
Reading around there are various different costs, some stating it's a higher cost if you don't have Sky BB, is this true? I'm locked into a contract with BT. And also is that £200 per box or is that for everything (Sky Q + Sky Q mini)?

Soldato
humm , seems odd that the amps introduce delay per channel ?

I've had SkyQ since last summer and suffered from lip sync issues with my Yamaha YSP-2500 sound bar for some time before realising what the issue actually was.
In my case it's simply down to turning on and off in the right order and not allowing the tv or soundbar going into sleep mode.
First is to take the tv out of standby, turn the soundbar on and then turn the skyQ box on. Powering up to watch, this way no channels at all are out of sync.
Powering down is the reverse of powering up. Problems only arise for me when the tv goes into standby on it's own (after 4 hours of not using the tv remote) and takes the soundbar into standby at the same time. It seems that the skyQ box is not good at re-syncing over ARC if the tv and soundbar go into sleep mode.

Soldato
Q trolling .... With the new Q firmware does this bring any practical benefits for the user interface. ?

Having now spent maybe 1hour total, using the folks new Q box (humax user myself) additional issues are :-
- search mechanism is junk - find all the programs starting with just a single letter -:confused:
a nowtv or humax box enables you to specify multiple letters to nail down the programme
- Q iplayer implementation has no search mechanism either; once again, a nowtv box iplayer app, has search.

how can the Q box interface be so bad compared to nowtv ? do they do any market analysis or consider customer feedback. ?

Soldato
Q trolling .... With the new Q firmware does this bring any practical benefits for the user interface. ?

Having now spent maybe 1hour total, using the folks new Q box (humax user myself) additional issues are :-
- search mechanism is junk - find all the programs starting with just a single letter -:confused:
a nowtv or humax box enables you to specify multiple letters to nail down the programme
- Q iplayer implementation has no search mechanism either; once again, a nowtv box iplayer app, has search.

how can the Q box interface be so bad compared to nowtv ? do they do any market analysis or consider customer feedback. ?
You just type the next letter to make a full word. Not exactly Sky's fault if you can't work that one out.

Soldato
ok .. thanks - so you use the numeric keypad (2 = abc etc.) for subsequent characters of search string after selecting the first from
'vertical alphabet menu' - that did not occur to me.

Caporegime
Or you can just press the voice command button and search for any programme by just saying the name, no typing of any kind required.

Soldato
.. yes I am not sure older parents are up to communicating by voice ;)
(I was intending to reply humerously about the euthenasia thread for cortana)
the Q search, nonetheless seems inconsistant that you select first and subsequent characters with different mechanisms.

I am not up to date with latest free-time mechanism, but I had though that Q search would find catch-up as well as upcoming programs, and had expected Q search to be as powerful
(the humax too, searches the upcoming two weeks, and, keep previous search words)
it would be better if they spent money on search part of Q software than voice control - no ?

Back
Top Bottom