*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
About SKy Q UHD content : how is the F1 UHD working out, saw this article
apparently onboards are still 1080 but nonetheless, in terms of fast action this has to be a challenge for 4k tv's motion interpolation, so
the choice of sending 2160i or p maybe significant. ?
With the h264, c4 freeview streaming, the zooming of the cameras also seems to challenge the codec some jerkiness ? is the 4k better.

Associate
Just gone for it and ordered, install date is 18th. It was the F1 that convinced me!

Can the boxes use a wired Ethernet connection, the guy on the phone seemed pretty insistent it had to be wireless? It doesn't really matter, just would be nicer to use a wired connection since the infrastructure is already there.

Associate
The chaps who did mine were more than happy to use Ethernet, in fact they had no problems with that where as the wireless caused some grief.

Associate
I'll just do as I did when the Sky+ kit was installed, get all cables in place so all that needs doing is plugging the Q box in, should simplify everything and make for an easy install, the guy that put Sky+ in seemed happy that it was an easy install for him!

Associate
Atm, I have got Sky Q complete package at home in my room (with family). I bought a flat and I will be moving in few months, however I am not entirely sure if I will be able to move the Sky Q. It's an old building, so I am not sure. I will be speaking to the management, once I do the exchange and completion, but how likely will they allow me to move the Sky Q if the building doesn't support.

Thanks

Associate
Speak with sky flats first. they subcontract to local companies for installation and if someone can give access at flats then they will come assess and if possible install small upgrade to make dishes sky Q ready.
I had that done in our flats and there was no charge for this - of course if a major overhaul needed then they will quote you for it.
It does help that my flat is share of freehold and I am in the management company so could arrange that myself. If you have managing agents at your flat they may not be as willing to allow upgrade as someone will need to give access etc and they may want to bill for their time.

Soldato
I've lived in flats where you can't have a dish up, flats with a communal dish and flats where you can do what you want.

What bit of it are you unsure about? Whether you're allowed a dish? Surely you're allowed whatever broadband you like so the dish is the only issue?

Associate
i have been trying to get sky Q installed in my flats but the building manager has done nothing everytime i speak to them.

i contacted sky communal, who told me they just need permission to view the premises and arrange a time with someone to give them access.
the building manager just said yeah its fine they can come but did not arrange for them to visit. so sky communal hasnt been out to even check the flats.

its been well over a year now and i have had to give back 2 friends and family deals which i was kindly offered on here due to the fact that i cant have sky Q yet.

really annoying.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
i have been trying to get sky Q installed in my flats but the building manager has done nothing everytime i speak to them.

i contacted sky communal, who told me they just need permission to view the premises and arrange a time with someone to give them access.
the building manager just said yeah its fine they can come but did not arrange for them to visit. so sky communal hasnt been out to even check the flats.

its been well over a year now and i have had to give back 2 friends and family deals which i was kindly offered on here due to the fact that i cant have sky Q yet.

really annoying.

I had the same issue with my building so I'm back on normal SkyHD. Probably best to sort it before wasting anymore codes, or just go for the deal and upgrade to Q if/when you maintenance team sort it.

Associate

really annoying.

if the building manager agreed with you and you know where the communal dishes etc are located, can you not give access yourself? nothing will be done in individual flats - everything is done where the main feeds/dish equipment is.

Associate
i would have done it myself but the access point is behind a locked door which only the building manager has access too.
there is a care taker on site everyday to deal with maintenance but he doesn't have access to that either.

Soldato
Hi,
Anyone on here uses Harmony One for sky q along with additional audio setup ?
My Harmony One seems sluggish with Q...
touch remote does switch on off tv as well but wont switch off audio...
changing input on the TV on touch remote is not that good either...
so seems i might go back to large number of remotes :(

Associate
I'm using a Harmony Smart Control with my Q, LG TV and Denon AV amp. All fine here.

However on the mini I can't get it to turn the telly on using either the boring old IR remote or a fancy BT one :(

Associate
Did I miss some kind of offer on last month? My BT contract runs out this month, so last month I priced up replacing everything with Sky, including broadband. Sky Q package I got a quote on totalled about £65 all in. Fast forward to now and when I re run the same quote it's nearly coming in at £100. Crazy increase, so guessing I was unlucky enough to be getting quotes during a special offer promotion. If so, how often do sky offer discounts? Really want to get shut of BT now.

Back
Top Bottom