*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
If you use the boxes on ethernet then they use the normal networking for communication between them and get DHCP from the local DHCP server.

If the mini is connected to the main box via wifi then it uses a direct connection between the boxes, I am not sure how the main box connects to the internet when on WiFi as it doesnt appear to have any options to enter a SSID Password.

Soldato
If you use the boxes on ethernet then they use the normal networking for communication between them and get DHCP from the local DHCP server.

If the mini is connected to the main box via wifi then it uses a direct connection between the boxes, I am not sure how the main box connects to the internet when on WiFi as it doesnt appear to have any options to enter a SSID Password.

Does it not just connect with the push button connection thing? My installer was forever making me go and hit the link button on the hub, while he presumably did the same thing on the main box.

Soldato

The main box does have an option to scan for SSID's and to enter a network key. i think you have to reset your network settings before you can scan again though. I watched my installer set it up and had to provide him my key. the wps style button is only to link to the mini box, or so the installer said. He was moaning that he wished he could connect the main Q box up to the network via wps but couldn't "as sky don't allow it".

Soldato
If you read that on the 130 page skyforums thread then that is my resolution :)

See few posts earlier from me.

Seems to have fixed the sound issues so far.

On a side note the mini box (wired via Ethernet same as the main box) was working fine last night. Had a call from the wife this morning not very happy as its now displaying MR104 error and wont connect. I've seen a video on you tube explaining how to get Ethernet properly connected so will try that tonight.

Soldato
The main box does have an option to scan for SSID's and to enter a network key. i think you have to reset your network settings before you can scan again though. I watched my installer set it up and had to provide him my key. the wps style button is only to link to the mini box, or so the installer said. He was moaning that he wished he could connect the main Q box up to the network via wps but couldn't "as sky don't allow it".

Ah, cool. I thought there must have been an option but as I went straight on wired this must just not have come up.

Don
Had mine installed today - not particularly impressed with the "engineer" though. Aside from being a complete jobsworth and insisting that he had to replace both the existing sky HDMI and power lead, despite them being cable tied up etc, then proceeded to tell me that I couldn't have the Mini box on Ethernet, and that it only works on wifi. I haven't yet tried as need to put up a shelf for it, but as he needed to set it up, got him to set it up downstairs via the Sky wifi - assume it is easy to change?

Touch remote is utter crap as well, so have disabled that (I couldn't get on with it, as seems way too sensitive, let alone the wife or kids) - menus are a bit odd and seem to need lots of extra presses to go back etc, but hopefully just a case of getting used to it.

Associate
Hi there.
My living circumstances have changed recently, and id like to maybe get a Sky BB/Phone/TV deal.

What would people recommend? There's only me living in the house and I don't own a 4K TV but may look in the future.

Caporegime
Though the box doesn't support HDR just yet, so you'd need to view it through your Smart TV BBC iPlayer app rather than SKY if you want HDR I think?

Need to make sure your TV supports HLG though to see it in HDR.

BBC's HDR is in Hybrid Log gamma (HLG), (not Dolby vision, or HDR10), so your TV needs to support that to show it properly.

Soldato
Had mine installed today - not particularly impressed with the "engineer" though. Aside from being a complete jobsworth and insisting that he had to replace both the existing sky HDMI and power lead, despite them being cable tied up etc, then proceeded to tell me that I couldn't have the Mini box on Ethernet, and that it only works on wifi. I haven't yet tried as need to put up a shelf for it, but as he needed to set it up, got him to set it up downstairs via the Sky wifi - assume it is easy to change?

Touch remote is utter crap as well, so have disabled that (I couldn't get on with it, as seems way too sensitive, let alone the wife or kids) - menus are a bit odd and seem to need lots of extra presses to go back etc, but hopefully just a case of getting used to it.
Yes That's about standard. Sky don't support wired network and insist on using their cables. You can change both of those when they've gone.
It's just cheap labour doing only what they are told.
Andi.

Soldato
Yes That's about standard. Sky don't support wired network and insist on using their cables. You can change both of those when they've gone.
It's just cheap labour doing only what they are told.
Andi.
Really? The installer used wired + wireless when he came to install Q for me.

Soldato
Mine was installed last week, told the installer that the power, HDMI and ethernet cables were all in place and could just be moved from old box to new box. He just said, no problem, ill leave you these (handed me power cables and HDMI cables from the boxes) and said if anyone asks I swapped them over.

He then plugged in the network cables without question and showed me what to do if I wanted to move the mini to wireless and move it to another location.

Even though the only thing he did that I couldn't have done (without reading up on it) is swap the LNB my guy was actually very competent.

Back
Top Bottom