*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
Q multiroom doesn't work like that. You have the 2 feeds to the main box and this then streams the content to the multiroom mini boxes over wireless / rj45.

So you only need / get the two lines off the LNB to the same single box.

Soldato
Very quick question.....my brother in law is thinking of getting Q, but has a slightly different set-up at his house.

At present, he has an octo LNB that feeds into 4 different rooms.

Would he be able to switch over to Q and still retain the feeds to the other rooms?

Yes but before the q install tell them you require a hybrid lnb. So all the sat feeds work

Associate
Q multiroom doesn't work like that. You have the 2 feeds to the main box and this then streams the content to the multiroom mini boxes over wireless / rj45.

So you only need / get the two lines off the LNB to the same single box.

That was what I was thinking would happen.....

Yes but before the q install tell them you require a hybrid LNB. So all the sat feeds work

Never knew you could get a hybrid LNB.

Will pass all the info on and let him make a decision

Am I right in thinking you only get UHD from the main box? Reason for asking is the main TV they watch on is in their living room and is a standard HD affair, but they have a 55" LG OLED UHD on the wall in the kitchen area. If they fit the main box there, what limitations will that have on the viewing in the living room? Will they still get full Sky reception there, or only what is being streamed from the main box?

Apologies for numpty questions

Caporegime
Yes you can only get UHD from the main box if the main box is the 2TB version (the smaller 1TB version does not do UHD at all) so install the main box near the kitchen TV if that is where you need your UHD source.

You then also have to take out a multiroom subscription, to get a Sky Q mini box that will go into the living room and that will link to the main box in the kitchen by either wireless or wired connection.

The link gives the mini box access to the full range of channels your subscription allows, so there is no limitations on that front, both boxes can can watch separate programmes and channels and can stop pause rewind, fast forward, completely independently of what is going on with the other box.

The only slight limitaion for some is that when you record something on the mini box the actual recording is saved on the main box, the mini has no independent hard drive.

Then both the main box and the mini box has access to all recordings stored on the main box.

Associate
Yes you can only get UHD from the main box if the main box is the 2TB version (the smaller 1TB version does not do UHD at all) so install the main box near the kitchen TV if that is where you need your UHD source.

You then also have to take out a multiroom subscription, to get a Sky Q mini box that will go into the living room and that will link to the main box in the kitchen by either wireless or wired connection.

The link gives the mini box access to the full range of channels your subscription allows, so there is no limitations on that front, both boxes can can watch separate programmes and channels and can stop pause rewind, fast forward, completely independently of what is going on with the other box.

The only slight limitaion for some is that when you record something on the mini box the actual recording is saved on the main box, the mini has no independent hard drive.

Then both the main box and the mini box has access to all recordings stored on the main box.
Many thanks for the info. Will pass it on to him and let him make his decision

Soldato

Another point, not sure how relevant it is to you, is that you need a separate subscription (on top of an existing sub to BT) to watch BT Sport in each room.

Soldato
Is the uhd of the 2tb box worth the £199 set up cost?

Presumably not much is actually broadcast in uhd? So does it upscale, if so would it do a better job than my Sony uhd tv?

I know it's a bit of a how long is a piece of string question but just trying to justify the £199 or not.

Caporegime
Why is it ludicrous??

Sky is basically an SD service, the vast majority of channels and programmes are SD.

So why shouldn't HD and UHD be extra when they both have limited content compared to the main service?

I'd be interested to know the numbers relating to how many subscribers watch mainly SD HD etc, this is a tech forum so obviously most here go for the higher spec stuff, but I'd be willing to bet that out of all Sky subscribers people watching mainly Sky's HD service is minimal, and obviously UHD will be even less.

Sky are in it to make money and that is the be all and end all.

Soldato
Why is it ludicrous??

Sorry you didn't quote me and I don't use this section much so missed your post.

In this day and age when hd content is pretty standard?

When you can't buy a decent TV without 4k let alone 1080.

When other providers have much more reasonable hd deals (vm depends on package but no charge unless you want sports, Netflix entire HD service costs almost the same as sky add on with another £2 for 4k, etc).

So yes the £5/month is ludicrous in my opinion. And as above you don't even get it waived if you pay for 4k.

Caporegime
Sorry you didn't quote me and I don't use this section much so missed your post.

In this day and age when hd content is pretty standard?

When you can't buy a decent TV without 4k let alone 1080.

When other providers have much more reasonable hd deals (vm depends on package but no charge unless you want sports, Netflix entire HD service costs almost the same as sky add on with another £2 for 4k, etc).

So yes the £5/month is ludicrous in my opinion. And as above you don't even get it waived if you pay for 4k.

But HD is not the main broadcast standard as yet, is it ?

It is not even the main source of Tv viewing for the general non tech savvy public, unaware of IPTV and streaming services, my in-laws, have Virgin and do not watch a single HD channel, they do not even know how to access them, they are perfectly happy with what the standard channels show on their 30" TV.

There are over 700 channels of radio and TV content on the Sky platform, and only 40 of them are in HD, so that is pretty minimal to be fair not exactly mainstream yet.

Also don't forget the HD sub also gives you a variety of 3D content as well, granted not so much and not so popular, but it all needs paying for.

I'd say all that was worth a fiver.

Soldato
It probably is worth a fiver. But all HD formats should be bundled together and sold as a package (1080p + 4K), and sell the multi-room separately.

Caporegime
It probably is worth a fiver. But all HD formats should be bundled together and sold as a package (1080p + 4K), and sell the multi-room separately.

More people have need of HD content as they have an HD ready TV, than people who want or need UHD content, therefore it makes far better business sense to sell them separately, and not bundled together.

UHD content when recorded, or downloaded from on SKY's demand services takes up a lot of room on hard drives, so again makes perfect business sense to only offer UHD services on the larger 2TB Sky Q boxes.

Also the vast majority of people with a main UHD ready TV in the main living room most likely, will also have a second TV in the bedroom for instance, so again makes perfect business sense to only offer UHD with a multi-room service and access to a mini Sky Q box.

The vast majority of Sky customers do not whinge and whine about a few quid here and there, and are more than perfectly happy with the little extra payments for the extra services and content.

UHD ready TV's still only account for only just over a quarter of new TV 's bought, so it is still a away off becoming mainstream, and until it does you will be paying a premium for services and content.

Back
Top Bottom