*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
I foolishly upgraded my router over the weekend, what a palarva getting my SkyQ to work properly again. surprised to see the main Q box could only see 2.4ghz connections when trying to connect it to my new router so had to use that. But it kept on dropping the connection briefly and killing the connection to the mini upstairs so I've ended up running an ethernet cable to it, resetting the network settings and telling it to use the wired connection. It still kept on dropping connection briefly so I did some investigation..
It kept on reverting back to the 2.4ghz wireless no matter how many times I told it to use ethernet.

A bit more digging suggested disabling 2.4 in the installers menu so I did this and now it says its connected to a network named skyXXXX Turns out that this is a connection it creates itself using the 5ghz band.

I've since been able to re-pair the mini using wps between the two boxes with the mini saying its connected via the skyXXXX ssid which i'm advised is 5ghz and what I want to be seeing. Fingers crossed its all playing nice at the moment but I am still seeing the X briefly then it goes back to a tick when I check network status occasionally but it hasn't lost connection to the mini since....

Should the main Q box not say its connected via wired connection? Seems weird it says its connected via its own hotspot?

Soldato
Ok thanks, something is amiss then.

What has annoyed me is if I'm telling the box to reset its network connection, i'd expect it to do exactly that! I don't expect it to be retaining ssid passwords and reconnecting as it sees fit.

But to be honest if it continues to work I'll leave it as is! Ideally I'll get some cat5e / 6 upstairs and get the whole system wired up, but until then hopefully it'll play ball now. Whats annoying is I was using a Superhub 3 with absolutely no issue but my wireless thermostat was losing connection. My new router seems to have resolved that issue but introduced this new one with the Sky Q :rolleyes:

Soldato
Is there a way to display what’s on now and next like Sky+HD used to? By default
The rectangle in the bottom left shows the channel and title of the program but even knowing what time it finishes would be useful. I can’t see a way to change anything in the settings.

https://i.imgur.com/SBzeLvM.jpg

Caporegime
Is there a way to make it appear by default every time you change channel?

No.

I just press the "i" info button and it brings up a bar at the bottom saying what is on currently, how long is left on the program you are watching, then you can scroll right to see what is on next and when it starts on the channel you are watching, or scroll up and down to see what is on currently and next on other adjacent channels in the guide, or on your favorite channels if you have set them up and use them rather than main channels.

Soldato
Looks like I'll need to call sky regarding my new Q install.
At the time of upgrading I was told my new monthly bill would £61pm for my package of sports, movies box sets & hd etc (pre Q package cost £48pm)
Q was installed Monday & checked this morning online & my first bill is due to be £104 then following months £92pm.

If that is correct they can come & take it back out!

Man of Honour
Had Sky Q installed today, got a small issue though.

My Sky Q box goes in to my amp (Yamaha RV679) in to my TV (LG OLED55C7), when I do the setup, it can't activate 10-bit 4K. It does 8-bit fine but I know my amp supports 10-bit, but only through HDMI ports 1-3 which are all HDCP 2.2 etc enabled. The Sky box is going in to port 1 so it should all be fine. My Oppo 4K player is plugged in to port 2 and is using 10-bit just fine

Any suggestions?

EDIT - Fixed it, seen in my amp owners manual that I have to go in to the advanced settings (that can only be accessed via some funky button press on the main unit in standby) and then set 4K mode to Mode 1 instead of Mode 2, 10-bit is working now. And now I have to go back and watch my 4K stuff on my Oppo again to see if I was getting a duff picture before and not true HDR :p

Last edited:
Associate
Had Sky Q installed today, got a small issue though.

My Sky Q box goes in to my amp (Yamaha RV679) in to my TV (LG OLED55C7), when I do the setup, it can't activate 10-bit 4K. It does 8-bit fine but I know my amp supports 10-bit, but only through HDMI ports 1-3 which are all HDCP 2.2 etc enabled. The Sky box is going in to port 1 so it should all be fine. My Oppo 4K player is plugged in to port 2 and is using 10-bit just fine

Any suggestions?

EDIT - Fixed it, seen in my amp owners manual that I have to go in to the advanced settings (that can only be accessed via some funky button press on the main unit in standby) and then set 4K mode to Mode 1 instead of Mode 2, 10-bit is working now. And now I have to go back and watch my 4K stuff on my Oppo again to see if I was getting a duff picture before and not true HDR :p
You also need to set the HDMI port on your LG to "HDMI to Ultra Deep Colour". Each HDMI input has a setting for this so when you are using the right HDMI connection, go into the settings menu, then General and scroll down, you will eventually get there.

Man of Honour
Yeah that was on already which is why it was driving me nuts. Since turning that hidden setting on though, it's fixed it. Although it's turned out that while I didn't have it on, even my Oppo wasn't getting 10bit, it was outputting 10-bit to my amp, but my amp was spitting out 8-bit to the TV. Since putting it on, I've tried a couple of 4K Blu-rays and it's a big difference :eek: and there's me thinking it was impressive before

I swear I read Sky only broadcasts in 8-bit anyway?

Associate
Yeah that was on already which is why it was driving me nuts. Since turning that hidden setting on though, it's fixed it. Although it's turned out that while I didn't have it on, even my Oppo wasn't getting 10bit, it was outputting 10-bit to my amp, but my amp was spitting out 8-bit to the TV. Since putting it on, I've tried a couple of 4K Blu-rays and it's a big difference :eek: and there's me thinking it was impressive before

I swear I read Sky only broadcasts in 8-bit anyway?
Yes, they are, but hopefully one day they will fix what is an obvious requirement for UHD to really make a difference. You need to make sure that anything that comes thru your amp will be handled properly and sounds like you are there. I just received an email today from Sky that says Blue Planet is available via their iPlayer catchup service in UHD, I haven't looked at it yet but it's probably not much better than the HD version without HDR and HLG which is what I get now from the LG when watching it.

Man of Honour
Went to watch Blue Planet 2 episode 2 last night and it had the signer on, why is this? Episode 1 was fine, episode 3 is fine. Watched it vie iPlayer in the end but the IQ didn't look as good.

Soldato
Anyone got any ideas what could be the cause of an issue that I have with Sky Q on a LGOLED55BV7. Basically the colour red is distorted and pixelated. Doesn’t happen on any other colour, just red.

Tested on Nintendo switch and it’s fine.

Haven’t tried a new HDMI cable yet, but just wondered if anyone has ever seen this before, as couldn’t find much online.

Works fine using the inbuilt apps like Netflix, Amazon, iplayer etc.

Thanks.

Associate
Very quick question.....my brother in law is thinking of getting Q, but has a slightly different set-up at his house.

At present, he has an octo LNB that feeds into 4 different rooms.

Would he be able to switch over to Q and still retain the feeds to the other rooms?

Back
Top Bottom