*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
Occasionally after an LG tv overnight auto update my Q box would drop to 1080.

I notice you have the 2018 model, it may be worth having a look at LG's firmware release dates for that model and see if it corresponds with the drop in Res.
I do the firmware updates manually and there has only been one update since it started happening

Soldato
I think my skyQ box is on its way out or there is something wrong skys UHD movie downloads, I have just been watching IT in uhd and the picture is flickering like crazy it almost looks like BFI is switched on(easier to see in dark scenes when Georgie is talking to IT in the drain or right at the end) so I have checked other sky UHD movies and they all seem to flicker quite badly. I have checked IT on the UHD Blu-ray I have and it doesn’t flicker nor does it do it when in watching in HD also there is no flicker in any other Blu-ray or Netflix or amazon. I haven’t seen any flicker in the F1 UHD but it’s very bright. Has anyone else noticed any flicker on the UHD movies also My skyQ box does get very hot.

Soldato
I've got BT Sport through my BT account and available through my Sky Q box as I provided BT with my viewing card number. The channels are available on my Sky Q box but they don't show on my mini box. Is that normal?

Associate
If you have multiroom already you can upgrade to sky Q for free, only paying the £20 install fee or £69 install fee for the 2tb version. Just ordered now and for £20 upfront I got the Q hub,miniQ and 1tb Q box

Soldato
Folks, Im tempted to switch to the Q boxes. But please let me explain my situation.

I currently have 3 boxes in my house (i.e. 2 multirooms each costing £12).

I spoke with Sky yesterday and they told me that I can take the £65 offer to get the 2TB Q box and the mini viewer.
Also they said that if I waited after they were both installed and called up again, I would be able to get another mini box for £75 instead of the usual £99.99

So in mind I am thinking to go for it because I would be saving £12 per month and eventually would be paying less once the initial investment is made.

But I would like to ask...

1. I don't have Sky Broadband, I am using Virgin, can I use this to connect to my boxes?
2. Can the boxes work in Wifi mode and/or hardwire ethernet?
3. Because I have Virgin cable, I assume the "WiFi" repeating/mesh feature would not work?

Cheers folks.

Caporegime
Folks, Im tempted to switch to the Q boxes. But please let me explain my situation.

I currently have 3 boxes in my house (i.e. 2 multirooms each costing £12).

I spoke with Sky yesterday and they told me that I can take the £65 offer to get the 2TB Q box and the mini viewer.
Also they said that if I waited after they were both installed and called up again, I would be able to get another mini box for £75 instead of the usual £99.99

So in mind I am thinking to go for it because I would be saving £12 per month and eventually would be paying less once the initial investment is made.

But I would like to ask...

1. I don't have Sky Broadband, I am using Virgin, can I use this to connect to my boxes?
2. Can the boxes work in Wifi mode and/or hardwire ethernet?
3. Because I have Virgin cable, I assume the "WiFi" repeating/mesh feature would not work?

Cheers folks.
Yes, but the boxes won't act as wireless hotspots as they only do this with Sky Broadband.
Either will work. If you have spare Ethernet then use that. Wi-Fi can be spotty at times.
See the first answer.

Associate
Just received my Q hub today was quite sad to see there were only 2 Ethernet ports. Does anyone else need more than 2? If so what switch are you using?
Any certain kind to get to go with the Q hub speed wise or will any do?

Caporegime
Just received my Q hub today was quite sad to see there were only 2 Ethernet ports. Does anyone else need more than 2? If so what switch are you using?
Any certain kind to get to go with the Q hub speed wise or will any do?
Next hub is going back to 4. As long as its Gigabit it'll do the job.

Soldato
Folks... if I have 2 miniviewers and a main box... and say each miniviewer and the main hub were watching different pre recorded programs... does the fast/forwarding/rewinding/general play back at all suffer/lag or stutter?

Caporegime
Folks... if I have 2 miniviewers and a main box... and say each miniviewer and the main hub were watching different pre recorded programs... does the fast/forwarding/rewinding/general play back at all suffer/lag or stutter?

It shouldn't, but it might a bit depending on the load on the box. A bit of a stutter is likely I'd say.

Soldato

Very rarely it'll be slow to respond to me stopping fast forward etc but that's once a month if I was to put a time scale on it and usually when the wifi is getting hammered by other people in the house, even watching the same program on the main and mini box generally doesn't cause issues.

Back
Top Bottom