*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
As a Sky VIP you can get Sky Q 2TB and a Mini box for £30 up front fee and £13pm for Multiscreen.

I'd like to move to SkyQ but I'm not fussed on increasing my current monthly subscription. I assume that £13pm is over and above the current £46.50 I pay? Don't really need multiscreen either.

Any useful links/pointers appreciated. I've logged into my Sky account but navigating the website to find relevant/applicable deals is a nightmare.

Soldato
A couple of newbie Sky Q questions...

- Is there no way to get directly to the big TV guide? You have to go via homescreen?
- I have a Panasonic plasma (1080p). Will I see any benefit to setting my Q to 4k?
- I read your can use the Q box as a Chromecast. Is that true for all apps or is it just a YouTube thing?
- Is there any difference in quality between recording a movie shown live, or streaming it on demand? What's best?
- I have a Harmony remote and Google Home. How best to utilise these, beyond using the Home to start Harmony activities? Eg. Can I voice search the Q via my Google Home?

Last edited:
Caporegime
A couple of newbie Sky Q questions...

- Is there no way to get directly to the big TV guide? You have to go via homescreen?
- I have a Panasonic plasma (1080p). Will I see any benefit to setting my Q to 4k?
- I read your can use the Q box as a Chromecast. Is that true for all apps or is it just a YouTube thing?
- Is there any difference in quality between recording a movie shown live, or streaming it on demand? What's best?
- I have a Harmony remote and Google Home. How best to utilise these, beyond using the Home to start Harmony activities? Eg. Can I voice search the Q via my Google Home?
Casting to the Q box is audio only or still pictures.
Your TV likely won’t accept the 4K output and won’t display a picture.
Unsure about Harmony but voice search is only via Bluetooth so if the Harmony is IR only it won’t work.

Soldato
Casting to the Q box is audio only or still pictures.
Thanks. I managed to play about and Youtube works well, as does Netflix. So it's not really Chromecast, but kinda works.
Your TV likely won’t accept the 4K output and won’t display a picture.
Even if I run it through my AVR and it downscales? I guess the question is does 4k downscaled look better than HD. Hmn :confused:
Unsure about Harmony but voice search is only via Bluetooth so if the Harmony is IR only it won’t work.
I have the Harmony Ultimate which has a hub and does IR/BT/wifi I believe. I think more research is required. Shame the Harmony remote doesn't have a mic - it could be used when controlling my AppleTV, FireTV as well!

How about the PQ question with downloads versus live recordings? :)

Also, where the heck is iPlayer? :confused:

All in all very happy so far, big step up from VM for sure.

Caporegime
Thanks. I managed to play about and Youtube works well, as does Netflix. So it's not really Chromecast, but kinda works.

Even if I run it through my AVR and it downscales? I guess the question is does 4k downscaled look better than HD. Hmn :confused:
I have the Harmony Ultimate which has a hub and does IR/BT/wifi I believe. I think more research is required. Shame the Harmony remote doesn't have a mic - it could be used when controlling my AppleTV, FireTV as well!

How about the PQ question with downloads versus live recordings? :)

Also, where the heck is iPlayer? :confused:

All in all very happy so far, big step up from VM for sure.

Not sure if your AVR will downscale and it depends on how good the downscaling is I guess.

iPlayer just comes under BBC now I believe. Or maybe that's just on my box. Not sure. Try catch up?

AFAIK the downloads and live broadcasts are the same source

Soldato
Is there any word on HDR yet? Seems to have gone quiet on that front since they postponed it last year.
Really need HDR+Atmos on the Netflix app over Q so I don't have to keep switching to the Netflix app on the TV to get the best quality available. I think Netflix on Q was launched too early. HDR on broadcast would be nice but secondary for me over Netflix.

Associate
Agreed, my built in Netflix TV app (LG B6) supports Dolby Vision so I'd rather watch via the TV's app than Sky but then it's an additional remote. Would also be nice if Sky Q allowed you to add your own apps to the app shortcut button.

Associate
My on-going issue of random no satellite signal has now been sorted.
He immediately diagnosed that it was indeed a faulty cable, which is what we suspected all along.

Was it just certain channels you had this issue with or all of them? I am getting issues with a few channels where it pixelates or shows no satellite signal received whilst other channels work absolutely fine. Only started in the last few months. Wonder if this might be my issue too.

Soldato
AFAIK the downloads and live broadcasts are the same source
Thanks. And what's the deal exactly with having to download TV shows/movies to the Q box before playing? It seems very bizarre in this age of instant-streaming. If I want to watch yesterdays University Challenge I don't want to have to wait for it to download first? :confused:

Pfft, remote count is a measure of manliness, didn't you know? ;) I'm at five.
Naw. One Harmony remote to rule them all. That's winning.

Caporegime
Thanks. And what's the deal exactly with having to download TV shows/movies to the Q box before playing? It seems very bizarre in this age of instant-streaming. If I want to watch yesterdays University Challenge I don't want to have to wait for it to download first? :confused:

Naw. One Harmony remote to rule them all. That's winning.
The box saves the download to the hard drive, it's not a stream. But if the box realises it can download the program faster than you can watch it it'll allow you to start viewing within 30 seconds.

Soldato
Yeah. If I'm honest I find that logic very odd. I don't want to have to pre-download something before watching it. With everything in cloud/edge-servers etc. I should be able to click play and it start, like every other streaming service on the planet. (Well the good ones :p).

Soldato
Yeah. If I'm honest I find that logic very odd. I don't want to have to pre-download something before watching it. With everything in cloud/edge-servers etc. I should be able to click play and it start, like every other streaming service on the planet. (Well the good ones :p).
Yeah it's quite frustrating as the box fills up remarkably quickly with stuff you only ever wanted to watch once.

Back
Top Bottom